Why the 2 new Tamron SP are game changers for video

wolf33d

Tamron announced 2 new FF lenses for Canon / Nikon / Sony A: 

The SP35mm F/1.8 VC USD and the SP45mm F/1.8 VC USD. Info and samples here: http://tamron-new-sp.eu/#/

So, why game changers?

• First world FF 50mm equivalent to be stabilized, a game changer for video. Concerning the 35mm, it is a first for Nikon too. Only Canon has a 35mm IS but slower. 
  • World shortest MFD for the same focal length: 0.2m (7.9 in) for the 35mm, (0.4x magnification, almost like a macro. For eg, the 100mm Zeiss Makro Plannar is 0.5x). This is huge in photo & video and super nice to have on a 35mm (for creativity and new perspective)
  • First reviews are mind blowing (bokeh & sharpness). Sharpness is apparently on Sigma Art level.
  • Cost is reasonable: 600USD. Considering stabilization and optical quality, I am fine with the price. 
  • First reviews are mind blowing (bokeh & sharpness). Sharpness is apparently on Sigma Art level. Look at the samples above... Bokeh and detail wide open look promising. 

Your thoughts? 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't know about game changer, but they certainly have promise.

How good they are will depend on many things. eg:

• How sharp they are at the borders wide open
  • Contrast wide open
  • Vignetting (supposed to be low)
  • colour fringing (supposed to be low)
  • Little to no breathing (unlikely given its designed for stills)
  • The vc being useful for video (not too still that you cant move the camera without it jerking)
  • Good length of focus travel
  • Not fly by wire focus (Couldn't be bothered to check if it is. Probably isn't)

One thing I'm wondering is why they didn't just bring out a 40mm.  35mm and 45mm are so close it wont seem like there is any point getting both, and it will be difficult to chose between them.

If you see any good reviews please link to them, I could only find announcement articles.

Imaging-Resource had a good review.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/news/2015/09/02/primes-people-tamron-relaunches-sp-line-two-sharp-affordable-prime-lenses

"For those of us preferring (or needing) to focus manually, these new lenses are a joy to use. Tamron put a lot of effort into tuning both new SP lenses for, as they describe it, "high-grade MF operation". Both have a very long focus throw that allows for precise focus adustments, and the focus mechanism has a really great feel, as well."

This is very good news for BM(URSA) EF mount camera owners... to have IS on good and sharp weather sealed primes with decent focus throw, clearly something to take into consideration. Outer design also looks very appealing.

you could probably get away with no VC on the URSA bc its so heavy. Even on the C100 its usuable handheld without IS or VC.

you could probably get away with no VC on the URSA bc its so heavy. Even on the C100 its usuable handheld without IS or VC.

You're right about that but I think it can be useful sometimes, first thing that comes to mind are some of those low shots when you hold the camera down by the handle.

I should add that if the Tamron lenses turn out to be as good as hoped, I'd trade my Sigma's zoom for Tamron's stabilization and weather sealing any day. The zoom range is rather tiny and not of much use to me. It is a fine lens though: fast, great resolution and color, and solid build quality. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hard to get excited about IS/OS/VC without seeing how it's implemented first. Some still lens stabilization is pretty unusable for video and some just needs to be tested carefully to be used within its limitations. Sometimes it's very weak and sometimes it's very aggressive with a very visible motion threshold. Worst is when it's in between and it's constantly disengaging...