GH4 V-Log $99

Jimmy

Some amazing new footage from GH4R

https://vimeo.com/138470590

I'm failing to see what's so special about this footage. I was struck by how clean it is though: it is reassuring that at base 800 ISO, there isn't a great deal of noise. But it appears as though the footage has been slightly overexposed - I notice when I shoot with the GH4, the image gets really noisy in the shadows when they are underexposed by as much as 1 stop. I'm not a fanboy by any means, but there is no way that this clip compares with some of the excellent color I've seen from Canon.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a question,  Would it be possible to expose using something like the Standard Profile, then switch to V-Log for shooting?  I can definitely see some problems trying to get accurate exposure while in V-Log?    Should I expose using the histogram and meter on the camera?   Never used a log format before so pardon the newbie question.  

I have a question,  Would it be possible to expose using something like the Standard Profile, then switch to V-Log for shooting?  I can definitely see some problems trying to get accurate exposure while in V-Log?    Should I expose using the histogram and meter on the camera?   Never used a log format before so pardon the newbie question.  

That's actually a Superb question. It is imperative to get exact exposure in camera if you shoot internally, because you have far less latitude to play around with. Also, the chances of being unable to recover highlights clipped is higher if the video is recorded internally (as opposed to recording on an external recorder). 

I'm failing to see what's so special about this footage. I was struck by how clean it is though: it is reassuring that at base 800 ISO, there isn't a great deal of noise. But it appears as though the footage has been slightly overexposed - I notice when I shoot with the GH4, the image gets really noisy in the shadows when they are underexposed by as much as 1 stop. I'm not a fanboy by any means, but there is no way that this clip compares with some of the excellent color I've seen from Canon.

I suppose color is relative, and I wish I could love Canon color the way others seem to, but I've just gotten frustrated with its problem with red. From Art Adams:

"A while back I tried to match a Canon C300 to an Alexa. I got close, but only because Alexa is generally the most color accurate camera I’ve worked with and matching any camera to it usually results in accurate color. The exception to this is red. Under tungsten light my new C300 settings looked pretty good, but under daylight the slightest hint of red in flesh tone skewed the toward magenta. This is a really ugly look for a face, so I discontinued use of those settings. (I did get a number of emails from satisfied customers, though.)

Canon's reds are generally skewed a bit toward yellow. My theory is that skin imperfections that are normally red melt away when their color is shifted toward yellow, making them appear less red and more like flesh tone. Any attempt to "fix" this on the part of the user causes an overcorrection that pushes red toward blue, making imperfections stand out even more."

I don't want to sit here like "sorry my eyes are so much better than yours," but...I like bold colors in my work, and orangey reds just don't play well to that. 

This shift in Canon's reds also smooshes (technical term) some shades of red/orange/pink into each other a bit, losing accuracy in that area of the vectorscope. For comparison, check out the Panasonic video at 1:51--the almost burgundy red on the left and all the tiny variations in the brighter red on the right. Look at 2:07, where each of those pinkish, purplish, and reddish folders are all distinctly different colors, and different again from the gentler reds on the wallpaper. That kind of subtle hue discrimination has been the trademark of Panasonic's pro-division cameras since the Varicam, and it gives the image a level of subtlety and realism that I've never seen from a hybrid camera until now. 

To me, there's no comparison. But YMMV. 

Hi,

Just a quick clarification -- the process is that the code will be sent via snail mail (regardless of which outlet I order from), right? Then I download and install the update, export the serial thingie and activate by entering the key?

Is there any requirement to have the key physically with the camera (to scan a barcode or whatever)? I could have the key sent to my address in Germany and then communicated to me, but as the camera is with me here in the Philippines, it would be a big hassle if I had to get my hands on the hard copy.

Thanks!

v2.3 of the firmware is up.

http://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/dsc/download/fts/index2.html

got a little excited when I saw the V709 LUT labelled as "for GH4" but after unzipping it, it seems to be the same one we have for the Varicam. and I don't see any other features added other than what's needed to activate V-Log L, other than being able to pause a time-lapse recording.

Pretty sure they've got 'in-camera anamorphic de-squeeze', 'super slowmo' and '8K recording' hidden as well (judging the fact there's such thing as an 'activation list' in the menu showing the currently activated features on the camera).

That makes another 3x 100 bucks they can charge us. :unamused:

Preference is so subjective when it comes to color from cameras...to me Canon looks like it belongs in every Debbie Reynolds movie ever made, where as I really prefer the colder image with accurate white balance from the GH cameras...

• 2 months later...