GH4 V-Log $99

Jimmy

What "prosumer cameras" where available when 5d ii, 7d and T2i where the rage??? There where no cameras that gave you the "cinematic quality" of the Canons... Super35?? Interchangeable lens?? 24p??... There is a reason people in the video business have EF glass, and it was BEFORE the c300... how quick and easy we forget!!

*Some* people shot with DSLRs, mostly because they were hobbyist geeks who did it because they could. The vast majority of real video however was shot on camcorder oriented cameras. How quick and easy we forget!

I had a S10 before I upgraded my old Rebel to a 3Ti, which is a camera that the hobbyists remember fondly for video. When I first got the 3Ti I was excited because I thought I would be able to shoot stills and video with the same camera.....until I shot my first clips with the thing, then I realized that wasn't going to happen. They were terrible, and the camera was in no way even close to the older camcorder. Later on we had Magic Lantern, and while that was better, it still was well behind the camcorder.

When all that began to change was when Sony released the RX10 and RX100. Those were the first cameras designed as real hybrids in that they shot very good shots and video. Panasonic brought the GH4 in later, building on the shoulders of the Sony cameras and the Canon/Panasonic hacks.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

In case anyone does not want to install V-Log-L into their GH4, there is one company that will do it for you for free.  You just need to deliver or ship you camera to Hot Rod Cameras.  

Here's the pre-order page for V-Log-L:

http://hotrodcameras.com/panasonic-lumix-gh4-v-log-l-function-firmware-upgrade-kit.html

Also, since we were involved in the development of the GH4, Hot Rod Cameras will also be receiving the first shipment of upgrades.

I.

I've been working with VLog and it is definitely the real deal, and at $99 a no brainer. It's a gorgeous flat profile that can be pushed around in grading. This is the first post I've done with VLog. It's a glamour film I shot a day ago with my wife for our style blog. http://www.togetherinstyle.com/stories/sequens-a-fashion-film

ISO's range from 800-1600 with very harsh lighting in a dark room. Also it's at 96fps so there is compression, but still beautiful none the less.

Color wise it's like having a mini Alexa. I simply used the Alexa Log C LUT in Color Finale and faded it to my taste. Nothing else was thrown at it in terms of grading. The two stops dynamic range is very real. Worth every penny.

I'll be doing a lot of work with VLOG from here forward and sharing in posts on Together In Style.

I've been working with VLog and it is definitely the real deal, and at $99 a no brainer. It's a gorgeous flat profile that can be pushed around in grading. This is the first post I've done with VLog. It's a glamour film I shot a day ago with my wife for our style blog. http://www.togetherinstyle.com/stories/sequens-a-fashion-film

ISO's range from 800-1600 with very harsh lighting in a dark room. Also it's at 96fps so there is compression, but still beautiful none the less.

Color wise it's like having a mini Alexa. I simply used the Alexa Log C LUT in Color Finale and faded it to my taste. Nothing else was thrown at it in terms of grading. The two stops dynamic range is very real. Worth every penny.

I'll be doing a lot of work with VLOG from here forward and sharing in posts on Together In Style.

Nice. Where'd you pick up V LOG? Beta tester?

Sure, check out the girl in black at 0:18At 1:05 the traffic light (the one who's turned off), is very noisy, and then when graded is heavily "macroblocked". 

If the original file was available for download, I would gladly take a look at it : )

Also the GH4 is just noisy in dark areas. Like, always. So I'm not surprised, but I'll be very curious to see how much dynamic range is actually usable after using v-log. May I also say that I own a GH4 myself, so I'm not trying to be overcriticizing just for pleasure ; ) And I'll probably upgrade to V-Log, at least to try and have some fun with it !

I agree with you, but for me GH4 + external recorder gets immediately compared to Sony a7s + ext recorder. And personally I would then choose the later option... Also external recorder are like as expensive as the camera... So almost 3.500$ / 4.500$ if you add the price for medias, accessories, etc. Its the price of a Ursa Mini... : / 
For me the GH4 is a fantastic "run & gun" small - compact- super easy to use setup... But that's just me : )

I personally believe that very large exteral recorders defeat the purpose of compact cameras. I hope that they bring out a 4k Ninja Star.

I personally believe that very large exteral recorders defeat the purpose of compact cameras. I hope that they bring out a 4k Ninja Star.

Some of these monitor-recorders are more compact than you'd think. If they came out with a 4K Blackmagic Video Assist, I'd buy it and never look back.

Th BlackMagic video assist is pretty neat. I hope they add a few hundred to the price and do a 4k version of it too. 

It's more than double the cost of the Blackmagic Video Assist, but this is smallest, cheapest 4K recorder I'm aware of. Video Devices PIX-E5H. 5" screen. $1200.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137222-REG/video_devices_pix_e5h_5_4k_recording.html

It's more than double the cost of the Blackmagic Video Assist, but this is smallest, cheapest 4K recorder I'm aware of. Video Devices PIX-E5H. 5" screen. $1200.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1137222-REG/video_devices_pix_e5h_5_4k_recording.html

I saw the 3 models this year, and they all appear to be very good. As with most things, BlackMagic has a huge price advantage, which should, hopefully, play in their favour. 

Some amazing new footage from GH4R

https://vimeo.com/138470590

Wow...some challenging conditions there, and the camera handles it beautifully. That DR, those colors (especially the reds and skin tones)...I'm amazed. It's like a completely different camera. The 8-bit is very good, but 10-bit V-LOG is a whole new league of image quality. 

*drools*

Yep, that really looks good! Seems like a GH camera with more character...

That's an interesting way to describe it. In terms of look, I'd say it has a detailed 4K image with a natural look to sharpness, silky smooth tonal transitions, and strong accurate colors. Skin tones look wonderful, but nothing at all like Canon--more neutral, accurate and (imo) cinematic without falling into Sony sterility. It's a very sexy image. 

The GH4+4K recorder combo is a beast! I can't think of anything else with this form factor that can match it on image quality or price:performance ratio.

Just noticed that B&H Photo now only let's you pre-order V-Log L and estimates availability on October 7th. I assume that means their initial inventory is already spoken for. Just checked my direct order with Panasonic and it still says mid-september for the estimated delivery. So hopefully we'll start to get it as early as a week from now.

Just noticed that B&H Photo now only let's you pre-order V-Log L and estimates availability on October 7th. I assume that means their initial inventory is already spoken for. Just checked my direct order with Panasonic and it still says mid-september for the estimated delivery. So hopefully we'll start to get it as early as a week from now.

I can't wait for more people to get their hands on this. We've been living vicariously through The Camera Store TV videos for too long.