GH4 V-Log $99

Jimmy

It looks like there will be a box version for retailers. It will cost more. 

B&H version is electronic only - nothing is shipped. That is in the Q&A for the item. 

Can't wait to film a whole new lot of gas explosions!

http://www.panasonic.co.nz/the-panasonic-way/panasonic-news-centre/2015/9/2/lumix-announces-vlog-software-upgrade-for-gh4/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I thought the V Log talk on Facebook and other places was annoying before. Jesus H Christ; it is now ridonkulous. I have had to unfollow all the GH4 Facebook groups because of people non stop complaining and asking stupid questions about it. What a giddy bunch of camera geeks :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Just wait until it is released where you live. $99 is fair. If they don't sell it in Thailand for my UK model tough luck on them, I will just pop over to that free place garrrr (that's gaarrrr like a pirate would say).

Found this in Pro Video Coalition,

.."Have a look at Matt Allard's DVX-200 V-Log L tests at newsshooter. The DVX-200 uses the same V-Log L curve, has a similar MFT sensor, and records 4:2:0 8-bit internally, just as the GH4 does.  - See more at: http://www.provideocoalition.com/before-you-rush-out-to-buy-v-log-l-for-your-gh4#sthash.ZOmlOz33.dpuf

Found this in Pro Video Coalition,

.."Have a look at Matt Allard's DVX-200 V-Log L tests at newsshooter. The DVX-200 uses the same V-Log L curve, has a similar MFT sensor, and records 4:2:0 8-bit internally, just as the GH4 does.  - See more at: http://www.provideocoalition.com/before-you-rush-out-to-buy-v-log-l-for-your-gh4#sthash.ZOmlOz33.dpuf

I am guessing that the Panasonic DVX-200 and the GH4 will have noticeably different grading abilities, being the difference in 8 bit 4-2-0 and 10-bit 4-2-2. Also the bitrate could be noticeably more on the GH4 recorded externally. 

Do you know how to upgrade from Europe? B&H is ok? They send a serial after the payment?

There is a bit of a contradiction about this at the moment. B&H state "there is NO physical shipment...you will active this code they give you at a special website" and yet the check out process seems to include a small shipping charge. Still ends up being way cheaper than buying locally though... Hopefully B&H answer the other questions soon but I think that will only happen a couple of weeks down the track. 

• Administrators

$99 is a fair price I think. I hope it is wildly successful and spurs other companies to offer pay-for-features type updates. Oly could probably charge $199 for 24p on their E-M1 and make a killing :D

Yep fair price.

I guess if people think it's too expensive, they can always go off and buy another 4K internal LOG shooting interchangeable lens cinema camera for $1500. Oh wait...

Any word on which metabones adapter to use?  Atomos just came out with a Ninja Assassin – New 4K HDMI Recorder for $1,295 it does 10Bit 4:2:2 will that pair up nicely with the GH4?

I would agree.  I think that log really needs 10 bits.  Though I would expect that Panasonic would have done as good a job as they could using 8 bit.  God knows they have had enough time to tweet it.  Either way it seems worth the price to me.  I also  think a 7" field monitor AND 4k recording also seems like a really good deal for $1,295 <<choices in that space are really getting attractive now. 

I honestly hope that people from Panasonic are reading this.

I would gladly pay another 99$ for internal 4K 200Mbit IPB 4:2:2 8bit recording!

Together with V-log this combination would be sufficient for 99% of work.

Cheers!

Much of the higher data streams come down to the heat generated.  Its one of the reasons larger camera bodies have no problem rolling 4k at bigger data rates - better heat dispersion.  Fatter data can also effect battery life as well.  In laptops those are the two issues engineers deal with in making units more powerful heat and battery life.

There is a bit of a contradiction about this at the moment. B&H state "there is NO physical shipment...you will active this code they give you at a special website" and yet the check out process seems to include a small shipping charge. Still ends up being way cheaper than buying locally though... Hopefully B&H answer the other questions soon but I think that will only happen a couple of weeks down the track. 

Thank you! :)

GH4 now is in my opinion a legendary hybrid camera. 5D Mark II, 7D, GH2, possibly BMPCC. A few may be moving up the ranks like A7S and 1DC. What else?

5D3 RAW maybe, but that's most of them. We're a little spoiled for good options right now. In the $3000 and under bracket, we have:

-A7S

-A6000

-A5100

-RX10

-RX100 IV

-GH4

-G7

-GX8

-GX7

-G6

-GH3

-GH2

Judging by Nick Driftwoods examples, VLOG in 10bit is a real treat. Threw an Arri to REC LUT on it and looked great.

Maybe it´s because they put some nice lighting up for the footage, would say most definately so. It´s just not visible in LOG, but after

the LUT or grade on top of it:) Seems VLOG 10bit is a different beast than A7s/RX10ii Slog!

Can´t wait to see the first cat videos and walking heads in VLOG 8 and 10 bit :)

GH4 now is in my opinion a legendary hybrid camera. 5D Mark II, 7D, GH2, possibly BMPCC. A few may be moving up the ranks like A7S and 1DC. What else?

Yup. Pretty much that list.

Though tons of people must've started their way into DSLR video with the T2i/550D and then took full benefit from the Magic Lantern support. It belongs up there just as much as the 5DmkII that really started it all and the 7D.

Way back when I was looking into a system, I opted for the hacked GH2 though. It had the nicer quality and I liked the compact approach with the cute but mean lenses. The BMPCC was something nobody really dared dreaming of, it made shooting gradeable cinematic images accessible to everybody, especially with the incredible summer price cut that started rumors of a successor being on the horizon (wasn't the case; a sick deal is all that was).

I feel like the GH3 was just a placeholder before the GH4 really blew things up! With the GH4 the new legendary camera was born, only to really be rivaled by the 5DmkIII with ML RAW and the incredible A7S that picked up where the lowlight performance GH4 let down.

Sure there's the GM1, GM5, GX7, GX8, G6, G7, but they are never going to achieve such legendary status. The D5200, D5300, D5500, A5100 and A6000 gave us pretty sweet 1080p, but never really excelled at something, never really getting that legendary status either. Good effort from Nikon on the D750, but not quite. The 5DmkIII was a fun refresh and ML RAW is pretty cool, but it's just a slight evolution, nothing revolutionary, not a legend. The 1DC came out strong, but was the price justified? It outclasses quite a bit of cameras, but the price was keeping it from being the people's camera. Olympus having the great 5-axis IBIS, but failing to give a useful video mode to the E-M1 shooters, then not deilvering on the promise of cinematic quality movies machine that goes by the name E-M5II. Going smaller, 1" sensor cameras stirred things up, but non of which in my eyes really owned it. The LX100 just about the only fixed zoomlens compact with large sensor I'd consider a hybrid legend perhaps. But just barely. When you're talking about legends it's a camera that really sets a news standard somehow, it has to have the certain x factor and popularity. Can't just slap the label 'legend' on every camera that's kinda pretty cool. Although it's not just about quality and epic features, it has to have character, has to invoke somekind of mentality change, the start of a path into something substantially new and being a legend, it really has to be idolized by a significant following.

So, for me I would consider the 5DmkII - 7D & T2i/550D - GH2 - BMPCC - GH4 and A7S as such.

I have a feeling the next ones could be the A6100/A7000 and GH5. It would be interesting to see if Samsung could find a way to give a NX2 some more traction and appeal.

Yup. Pretty much that list.

Though tons of people must've started their way into DSLR video with the T2i/550D and then took full benefit from the Magic Lantern support. It belongs up there just as much as the 5DmkII that really started it all and the 7D.

Way back when I was looking into a system, I opted for the hacked GH2 though. It had the nicer quality and I liked the compact approach with the cute but mean lenses. The BMPCC was something nobody really dared dreaming of, it made shooting gradeable cinematic images accessible to everybody, especially with the incredible summer price cut that started rumors of a successor being on the horizon (wasn't the case; a sick deal is all that was).

I feel like the GH3 was just a placeholder before the GH4 really blew things up! With the GH4 the new legendary camera was born, only to really be rivaled by the 5DmkIII with ML RAW and the incredible A7S that picked up where the lowlight performance GH4 let down.

Sure there's the GM1, GM5, GX7, GX8, G6, G7, but they are never going to achieve such legendary status. The D5200, D5300, D5500, A5100 and A6000 gave us pretty sweet 1080p, but never really excelled at something, never really getting that legendary status either. Good effort from Nikon on the D750, but not quite. The 5DmkIII was a fun refresh and ML RAW is pretty cool, but it's just a slight evolution, nothing revolutionary, not a legend. The 1DC came out strong, but was the price justified? It outclasses quite a bit of cameras, but the price was keeping it from being the people's camera. Olympus having the great 5-axis IBIS, but failing to give a useful video mode to the E-M1 shooters, then not deilvering on the promise of cinematic quality movies machine that goes by the name E-M5II. Going smaller, 1" sensor cameras stirred things up, but non of which in my eyes really owned it. The LX100 just about the only fixed zoomlens compact with large sensor I'd consider a hybrid legend perhaps. But just barely. When you're talking about legends it's a camera that really sets a news standard somehow, it has to have the certain x factor and popularity. Can't just slap the label 'legend' on every camera that's kinda pretty cool. Although it's not just about quality and epic features, it has to have character, has to invoke somekind of mentality change, the start of a path into something substantially new and being a legend, it really has to be idolized by a significant following.

So, for me I would consider the 5DmkII - 7D & T2i/550D - GH2 - BMPCC - GH4 and A7S as such.

I have a feeling the next ones could be the A6100/A7000 and GH5. It would be interesting to see if Samsung could find a way to give a NX2 some more traction and appeal.

I couldn't agree more.

The difference between the 550D and 5D mark ii in video quality is negligible (except low light, obviously), and yet the price difference was huge. The 550D has the  advantage of being much lighter and hence easier to carry around. 

Somewhere I think Panasonic did it's best to cripple the GM line, wherein the GM1 appeared very promising in low light, and so the GM5 could have been designed as a great low light as well as 4k shooter, with features similar to the GH4 (actually the G7), but with obviously poor battery life and no headphone monitoring. The form factor itself could have helped sell a lot of those. But Panasonic stunted the video features in that line.