GH4 V-Log $99

Jimmy

http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DMW-SFU1-VLOG.html?supportpage=true

http://www.43rumors.com/official-99-for-the-v-log-update-at-panasonic-store/

Seems reasonable to me, basically getting a new camera. I hope there is not a huge backlash about this, software costs money and it is amazing to see a company greatly improve what is a relativity old camera.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

http://shop.panasonic.com/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/lumix-interchangeable-lens-ilc-cameras/DMW-SFU1-VLOG.html?supportpage=true

http://www.43rumors.com/official-99-for-the-v-log-update-at-panasonic-store/

Seems reasonable to me, basically getting a new camera. I hope there is not a huge backlash about this, software costs money and it is amazing to see a company greatly improve what is a relativity old camera.

I has said $99 seems reasonable. I also hope they allow the VLog for the GX8, the G7 and the LX100. 

News Shooter had tested the new Log on the Panasonic DVX200, which they claim is identital to the Log on the GH4. The Log was mostly great but the highlights clipped slightly (they actually said the rolloff wasn't too pleasing). I hope they jack up the bitrate to be to handle the extra data well.  

Was about to purchase vlog from US and thought easier to purchase from Panasonic UK.

Sounded sensible way to go or so I thought.

Phoned Panasonic UK to order and quess what, they know nothing about all this vlog news or what vlog was never mind the GH4R which they didnt know about either.

They were not interested in my queery at all and probably thought I was a crank until I mentioned I would post what they had said on the internet, then they got interested lol

So after much apologising they said they would get back to me.

Going to go ahead and purchase from US site for an easy life.

Was about to purchase vlog from US and thought easier to purchase from Panasonic UK.

Sounded sensible way to go or so I thought.

Phoned Panasonic UK to order and quess what, they know nothing about all this vlog news or what vlog was never mind the GH4R which they didnt know about either.

They were not interested in my queery at all and probably thought I was a crank until I mentioned I would post what they had said on the internet, then they got interested lol

So after much apologising they said they would get back to me.

Going to go ahead and purchase from US site for an easy life.

hahahahahahahahaha

Is it 10 bit?  I guess not. I think it should be 10 bit for a paid upgrade if the camera can handle it. If this was the case there would be no question whether it was worth it. People would be going out and buying new gh4s in anticipation.

The HDMI out was already doing 10-bit previously. Would they get it down to 8-bit for the VLog? Probably not.

Btw I am guessing all major retailers will stock kits for the update:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1182741-REG/panasonic_dmw_sfu1_vlog_v_log_l_function_activation.html

So with this news I might want to get a GH4 to shoot 4K.  I have Canon 5Dmk3's and a full line on canon lenses.. whats the best metabones adapter to get for the GH4?  Any issues with the adapter like the camera not working properly etc during shooting? 

Or should i just get a sony RX10ii? While I wait for Canon's answer to 4K DSLR via a 5Dmk4 or 5DC.

Thanks!

@myJTP   I would not wait on Canon for anything :)   Those guys are not really addressing the 4k market at all and I bet its still a while before any 4k dslr at all.  They will not put in a dslr before the C100 mark II and that is not even a year old yet.   I think get a gh4 is a huge vaule for what it offers and then add vlog to that... damn this is monster of a camera for under 1500 bucks with vlog or get one used and its even cheaper.  

Pre ordered from Panasonic USA but I feel like it was a scam b/c they didn't even ask for my email address. First time that's ever happened. ;)

I had to enter mine when I pre-ordered from the Panasonic site. It was right under the credit card fields, if i remember correctly. Received a confirmation email too.

The HDMI out was already doing 10-bit previously. Would they get it down to 8-bit for the VLog? Probably not.

I meant internally. The price of a 4k recorder is a significant further investment to match\beat the competition.  If they can output 10 bit, i dont see why they cant record it.

This is great news. Since I've never shot LOG, is it going to be necessary to use an external monitor to judge exposure and focus when shooting with V-Log Lite? I certainly hope this becomes available through  a shop in Malaysia or Hong Kong, as I can't buy stuff from B&H in Vietnam.

Is it 10 bit?  I guess not. I think it should be 10 bit for a paid upgrade if the camera can handle it. If this was the case there would be no question whether it was worth it. People would be going out and buying new gh4s in anticipation.

yeah this is just log, wouldn't affect internal 10 bit ability of the camera or be related at all. Not sure if a firmware update for 10 bit internal is possible, but if so you could use any of the picture profiles with it