Panasonic GH4r

BrorSvensson

It should be a firmware update. I'd be upset if it wasn't and reasonable if it does cost something. Before I bought the gh4 everyone made it sound like Panasonic promised vlog to be a firmware update coming soon. There's no way Panasonic couldn't have known that's what people have been thinking and expecting.

Will vlog improve iso though? Or is that a different mechanism of the processing? So far I read it would improve color, dynamic range, and sharpening. Is there anything else it does?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nah, it doesn't change sensor performance, the change is that signal data gets mapped in a more logical way (don't mind the pun). You have some more useful information in the ranges it counts (and losing some less important information where it counts less), that gives for more forgiving post processing. Not sure why that would effect sharpness, but tonality in general for sure, so: color and brightness levels.

I think that, if they want to continue the little "revolution" they made in 2014 - offering all the features that Canon's user wanted (4K, 60p, peaking etc...) at a fraction of the price of a 5DmkIII - it could be a smart move to sell the new GH4 with the new firmware preloaded as "R" and to offer the update to existing user for a symbolic price, in the 50-100$ ballpark. 
In that way they could confirm their intentions to listen users while Canon still sleeps in 2009 and they could try to take aboard some BlackMagic user like me: I do love the ProRes HQ from my Pocket, but using it is really annoying, so I use GH4 95% of the time because it is so simple and fast to work with.
I'm sure this could give them more exposure then spending a lot in advertising. 

• Administrators

Panasonic should have announced their intentions at NAB before they teased us with the beta V-LOG.

Just come straight out and said "here is how we're going to do it" instead of letting speculation run rife for 6 months on the internet, because it creates an atmosphere of uncertainty amongst loyal GH4 owners and the temptation to jump to a Sony with S-LOG already must be pretty high.

So yeah they have mishandled this but hopeful of positive outcome on September 1st!

True but Log (from what i know) is complete firmware and they have even showed cameras using it.

From what I've heard the cameras used  were prototype test units. Panasonic never released a beta firmware with V-Log. Also, there seems to be the assumption that if a feature can be added in firmware then it should be, as there is really no cost involved. The developers writing the code to add the new features do not work for free. So there is certainly a cost involved, but that's OK so long as it's not the consumer footing the bill right?  Software features cost the manufacturer money. It's not a freebee.

Makes sense to add it in a new model. Few and I do mean few companies will throw in major new features for free. There are exceptions... Samsung, please stand up.

Why? You knew it the GH4 didn't have V-Log when you purchased it. Should Panasonic stop creating new products because the old ones won't support the new features?

Nick Driftwood has been using it on the GH4. The Camera Store vid that has it also shows it on the GH4. It won't be a matter of the GH4 not being able to run it. It'll be a paid upgrade. I can't imagine Panasonic will tell customers they have to buy a whole new camera to get something that could be ugraded via firmware. Most customers would be furious.

Nick Driftwood has been using it on the GH4. The Camera Store vid that has it also shows it on the GH4. It won't be a matter of the GH4 not being able to run it. It'll be a paid upgrade. I can't imagine Panasonic will tell customers they have to buy a whole new camera to get something that could be ugraded via firmware. Most customers would be furious.

A few Sony cameras have paid updates for Extra features. I guess, as long as the amount is reasonable like $99 or something, it should help both Panasonic as well as the users. To Increase sales for Panasonic they could also sell it for the LX100, GX8 and the G7. I guess betwern these 4 models they can earn a fair deal of money on the VLog update. 

My main beef with Panasonic would be the complete lack of info the provided when starting to let select people test blog out in the wild. The strategy should have been immediately disclosed whether a) hardware changes are required, b) it will be a paid upgrade or c) it will be a free upgrade. It's just really unprofessional in terms of communicating to your customers.

My main beef with Panasonic would be the complete lack of info the provided when starting to let select people test blog out in the wild. The strategy should have been immediately disclosed whether a) hardware changes are required, b) it will be a paid upgrade or c) it will be a free upgrade. It's just really unprofessional in terms of communicating to your customers.

My main beef is this rumor did not come from Panasonic. Should Panasonic be expected to add features and respond to every rumor on the internet? All current GH4 owners entered the purchased based upon the  current spec sheet, so what is the problem?

Let me right now start a rumor... Their is a "secret" GH4 firmware that can add 14bit color and 16 stops of DR. Will you be angry if it turns out these features are in a totally different camera? This really is how silly this argument is. These rumors didn't come from Pannie... They don't need to respond nor support the rumored features.