Panasonic GH4r

BrorSvensson

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Sad face :-(

Also means if they bring out this new camera, it might be even longer until we see a real update and a GH5?

BEST outcome is they do release free firmware for GH4 too eventually, and this "GH4R" is just a minor version marking being done for marketing reasons as by releasing a "new" one it will pick up extra press coverage for them

Could it have some of the GX8 tech, though?

Don't see the point of bringing out a new camera package if it's just a firmware thing... they've been handing out V-LOG firmware for GH4 users to test already, so that should already work, no need to bring it out as a new camera unless there's some actual change in hardware, I'd say.

Panasonic is being really silly about this. Sending out the firmware beta to testers / shops. Not telling anything about the fact that they will probably charge you for it.

GH4R doesn't have to mean a new camera. There already is the GH4K, GH4AEG-K, and other crazy letter combinations (you can really buy a Panasonic DMC-GH4UE-K + AG-YAGHG for example...) The add-ons just tell which lenses is bundled with the camera. So GH4R could mean GH4+firmware and an identical camera.

If Panasonic does not release the V-Log update for the current GH4, that would be completely stupid, since we've already seen it working with the beta testers.

Yeah, I guess that's true. Just with al the Mark IIs, S-versions, R-versions etc, I'm kind of in the mindset that additions to the models mean some upped specs, not just included FW versions. :p

Anyways. Let's be honest, developping VLOG takes quite the resources I bet. And people who buy a camera, don't want to pay for features they have no use/not asked for. So somehow it kinda makes sense that they'd charge you for getting VLOG. And if you're in a position that you could benefit from it, you just spend a couple of bucks and you're good to go.

What I'm afraid of... is that they won't even give us the paid firmware upgrade now, out of being scared that it can be cracked and shared amongst eachother... we'd have to actually sell the GH4 and get the GH4R?

Could it have some of the GX8 tech, though?

Don't see the point of bringing out a new camera package if it's just a firmware thing... they've been handing out V-LOG firmware for GH4 users to test already, so that should already work, no need to bring it out as a new camera unless there's some actual change in hardware, I'd say.

Panasonic is being really silly about this. Sending out the firmware beta to testers / shops. Not telling anything about the fact that they will probably charge you for it.

GH4R doesn't have to mean a new camera. There already is the GH4K, GH4AEG-K, and other crazy letter combinations (you can really buy a Panasonic DMC-GH4UE-K + AG-YAGHG for example...) The add-ons just tell which lenses is bundled with the camera. So GH4R could mean GH4+firmware and an identical camera.

If Panasonic does not release the V-Log update for the current GH4, that would be completely stupid, since we've already seen it working with the beta testers.

They haven't sent out the firmware to the testers, they sent them a camera with v-log.

They haven't sent out the firmware to the testers, they sent them a camera with v-log.

Didn't know that... But I guess that's part of the problem. I have a GH4. Assumed the v-log firmware has been out in the wild as an update, so will be disappointed if it does not exist at all...

Didn't know that... But I guess that's part of the problem. I have a GH4. Assumed the v-log firmware has been out in the wild as an update, so will be disappointed if it does not exist at all...

We have to consider that this is still only a rumor and has not been announced by panasonic yet. 

The "GH4R" rumor just seems to bolster the notion that it will be a paid upgrade. Otherwise, why would they need a new designation for a version that has V-Log pre-installed? We already have GH4KBODY (body only), GH4-YAGH (with yagh), GH4H-K (bundled with lens). And maybe others I'm not aware of. If true, GH4R is probably just the designation for: "bundled with V-log".

A paid firmware update and a pre-installed version of the camera would make way more sense than forcing existing users to sell their GH4s for new versions; Panasonic can't be that dense. 

I don't blame them for charging for V-LOG. A good LOG profile will be like having a whole new camera. And considering how many people are avoiding the GH4 based on color science, DR, and oversharpening, this will address almost every major complaint with the camera. In my opinion, that's worth a couple hundred. 

He says "I suspect that V-LOG L isn’t the culprit here; it is likely due to how the image is being processed by the camera itself." and that was a pre-production model of the DVX-200. Also, he notes at the end that the color from V-LOG L was both pleasing and accurate--just held back by the camera's poor highlight processing.

Everyone else who's used V-LOG L on the GH4 has shown excellent results. 

It's probably just to designate the new stock that has the update pre-installed. Which points to the update indeed costing at least something.

The GH4's retail price was lowered to $1499 a bit ago. Perhaps the update costs $200, and the GH4R will cost $1699, like the GH4 was for over a year. Or, $100 and $1599, or whatever.

While I would agree that they are not really screwing anyone over if they decide to charge - after all, people who bought the camera at least before rumors of vlog, could not really expect this to come - however, I think in light of some of the other camera manufacturers, and the hype around them, it would be smart of Panasonic to get some brownie points..