Nebula 4200 - 5-axis gimbal

Brother

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wanted to share this with you guys. I just shot this in Uruguay with a Nebula 4000 and an A7s with a Sony FE 28mm f2.0. I counter-balance the single handle rig by extending it with a rod and a monitor or a Shogun attached. It really helps for adding a little weight to the rig and especially for checking focus using auto focus with the A7s. In the photo attached on Vimeo, you see a quick release in front of the spare battery - that's actually for an H4n that I plugged a couple of Rode Videomic Lavs into who's receivers were clipped onto the sunshade of the monitor. My Nebula is tool-less using oversized gnarled screws found online by Jason Wingrove. Flew this rig from LA to Argentina, shot 12 days and it performed flawlessly. Still a great little gimblal. Below is just a work in progress for the family I'm making the film for.

Password: nebula

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds reasonable. That's similar terrain to the H1+ and CameTV Single. I like the option using it as 5-axis double handle or 3-axis single handle.

The real issue for me with the Nebula 4000 was that people seemed to be really struggeling to get it tweaked just right. This is the most crucial part to get right and I feel like that's one of the reasons so many people are going with Pilotfly right now. They post combinations of cameras and lenses and it appears to be fairly easy to adjust. From another tech point the CameTV Single has the encoders which seem to do a great job.

Seems the new Filmpower stabilizers are tool-free, which is a great plus. It's where others were heading as well. Good trend. Some added bluetooth control is nice too. Appears to have enough space to balance a camera and a somewhat bulkier lens, which I like. Feels like they've listened to what users of the Nebula 4000 and other pistol grip gimbal stabilizers said they were still missing/struggeling with. Including the up/down bounce. I was waiting for things to mature to a point that I'd believe it would be a must have tool in the bag. This might just be it.

But like DBounce says... I need some more proof of concept than what I've seen so far. I'll probably wait till names like Dave Dugdale, Emm/MrCheesycam, Nitsan Simantov, Tom Antos, Jordan Drake, Erik Naso and/or others have giving it a proper review.

I'd love to obtain shots like this, he uses a Glidecam 4000.

https://vimeo.com/124098814

Of course If Ronin M is reliable (motors etc... that are fragile from what I understand) I will spend that money to have something that can make my work better :)

That shot is pretty easy to achieve with any of the 3-axis gimbals.  I took one like that on my first day testing my new Pilotfly H1+ (first day review here):

https://youtu.be/Q0k9QmOkYdg?t=37

5-axis sounds great.  I was definitely seeing noticeable up/down bob in my first day tests of the Pilotfly, although I hope to smooth it out with some better walking technique and tweaks to the settings.  Since I'm looking for small size and weight for traveling personally my ideal handheld stabilizer is a 4-axis with the size and weight of a Pilotfly.

That shot is pretty easy to achieve with any of the 3-axis gimbals.  I took one like that on my first day testing my new Pilotfly H1+ (first day review here):

https://youtu.be/Q0k9QmOkYdg?t=37

5-axis sounds great.  I was definitely seeing noticeable up/down bob in my first day tests of the Pilotfly, although I hope to smooth it out with some better walking technique and tweaks to the settings.  Since I'm looking for small size and weight for traveling personally my ideal handheld stabilizer is a 4-axis with the size and weight of a Pilotfly.

The second part, while you are tracking the lady, is just what I would achieve! 
It's "human" without being shaky. Very good!

Pricing is fantastic. Maybe someone said already but what's the weight load?

Wonder if this might make me get a BMMCC, if it could hold that plus speedbooster and the heavy Sigma 18-35mm.

EDIT: Checked the link above. "with a maximum load of 1.6 kg." That might just work right? The Sigma is like 1kg with speedbooster and the BMMCC is like .4 with an LP6.

Now where to attach the monitor...?

I am excited for the product, but suspect that this design won't work. Since the width of the handles will affect the vertical position of the camera it will be influenced by the proximity of the operators hands to each other... The actuation needs to be independent of the handles. Notice the design of the Jockey Motion. Articulation is isolated. 

Impressive imho!

Impressive? All I saw was some guy that looked like he really needed to go to the bathroom. Why didn't they shoot some footage so we could determine how stable (or unstable) it came out. Ideally with two views...  one of the person holding the stabilizer, the other from the camera on the stabilizer?

FYI, look at the motor housings and mounting plate while the guy is moving his legs... It seems they are moving up and down pretty good. I remain skeptical. Actual footage please.

I mean... it's a prototype. If I was a manufacturer I wouldn't want a people to give up on me because of a prototype test video showing 'a weird wobble at 1:41. Meh'.
I get that. You want to tweak it close to perfection and then give them something to get excited about and will be close enough to the final product  that people can expect.

It looked ok, but yeah, that's not really seeing it 'in action' the way you'd actually use it. It's just some silly shaking around. I do hope they don't just make these things and then hope people like it... I hope they work closely with filmmakers. It's like racers in the Formula 1 or MotoGP. A team can build the greatest car or bike... like: on paper and in all actuality will be shitty to drive. But if you change bits then ask your race driver how he likes the change... he will give you the feedback you need! He knows where it lacks and where it's good. That's the key to a winning end result.

Things require time to be made, correct?

The problem with these forums is the fact people from so different origin come to post and say anything as it is the most consensual truth. As matter of fact, experience speaks on our behalf. We can't put some worker with one, two or more decades of experience in the same basket of some young fellow anxious to see the bird out of the cage. I'm sorry but that's what it is. Our actions speak by itself. To infer some manufacturer has some trouble because didn't post any sample footage in half dozen of days, only pops up as evidence of it. Instead.

Things require time to be made, correct?

The problem with these forums is the fact people from so different origin come to post and say anything as it is the most consensual truth. As matter of fact, experience speaks on our behalf. We can't put some worker with one, two or more decades of experience in the same basket of some young fellow anxious to see the bird out of the cage. I'm sorry but that's what it is. Our actions speak by itself. To infer some manufacturer has some trouble because didn't post any sample footage in half dozen of days, only pops up as evidence of it. Instead.

Although I'm not in the more experienced group, I don't get the cynicism myself. Personally, I'm a fan of their one handed gimbal, Nebula 4000lite, which, if I'm not wrong, was a first of its kind at the time. Top marks for portability, with its weight limit (around 1 kg) being the only problem. Naturally I'm excited their newer one handed gimbal can take on more load (at least 1.2kg). Even their 5-axis model seems to be a big step up for me in terms of portability from the normal double-handed 3-axis gimbals.