Nebula 4200 - 5-axis gimbal

Brother

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Wonder how this is going to be better / different, than the Defy G2X, Moza lite, Dji Ronin M, etc.

There are already many competitors on the market... 

This is 5 axis. I think most, or all, of what I expect to be similarly priced competition is 3 axis.

Only yesterday we received the Ronin M. Works from the start. Only concern is that it feels heavier (with camera) than the demo videos suggest. Maybe one day we change ...

I'm thinking to buy a 3 axis gimbal: Ronin M, Came Mini2 and Came Single are the gimbals I was thinking about... 

Can you help me? :)

Ronin is sturdy and simple as they say? 
Thank you!!! 

p.s.: I'm coming in Berlin soon, did you buy it in a shop or by internet?

Nice find! Most projects I had seen before were way to clunky, going to be way expensive and eventually abandoned.

Glad to see there's still being looked into it. I don't like the word 'gamechanger' that much, but something like this that works well and is prices quite nicely, could be just that.

I'm thinking to buy a 3 axis gimbal: Ronin M, Came Mini2 and Came Single are the gimbals I was thinking about... 
Can you help me? :)

Ronin is sturdy and simple as they say? 
Thank you!!! 

p.s.: I'm coming in Berlin soon, did you buy it in a shop or by internet?

Well, you mount the camera, balance it (quite easy, no tools needed), then you establish a bluetooth connection with your phone to tune it with the "DJI Assistant App"(doesn't work all the time, we had to restart the app / the Ronin a few times, no idea why). With that app, you initially just need one button called "Auto Tune Stability". Once hit, the Ronin makes loud servo noises like an ED209 or a T800 , the calibration stand shivers, and the camera turns upright. After a few seconds, it's useable.

But there are other parameters to tune. By default, the camera follows your movements, but way too late and too slowly. This is what these guys are for:

Wizard.jpg

Probably you don't want any roll behavior with a gimbal, but you'd want the camera to follow your deliberate pans and tilts, you just want these movements smoother. So you have to play with those settings, until you are satisfied ("Deadband" = the higher the value, the more the Ronin ignores your movement). Took round about an hour, until we were satisfied.

This morning, we went to the glider airfield to test the thing in the field. The sun was so bright, we couldn't see shit on the tiny A7s' display. So we mounted the Shogun on top. We still couldn't see enough to really frame the images. What is more, the additional weight of the Shogun made holding the Ronin for more than, say, two minutes - impossible. And we both go to the gym on a regular basis and do quite a lot of shoulder and neck workout.

We also changed the lenses. One was considerably heavier than the first, but balancing it (of course you have to carry the calbration stand with you) was a matter of two minutes. It took another ten minutes for the phone to find the Ronin (this is kind of a PITA) to hit Auto Stability, but afterwards everything worked fine.

For the time being, having not much experience with the device, I dare to draw some first conclusions:

1. To believe that such a gimbal replaces tripod and shoulder mount would be naive fallacy.

2. It replaces a steadicam.

3. Even though this is a lightweight model and we had a small camera, you really don't carry this around all day. 

4. I am musing about video glasses. Any suggestions? Comments? Has anyone tried this?

Hopefully it should help eliminating the walking bounce that many small gimbal have, have to wait for the actual footage to see it if actually works

I am no expert in mechanics, but if it is spring loaded it can be tuned to eliminate the walking bounce, then probably it won't work with higher frequency bounces like in a car. 

Well, you mount the camera, balance it (quite easy, no tools needed), then you establish a bluetooth connection with your phone to tune it with the "DJI Assistant App"(doesn't work all the time, we had to restart the app / the Ronin a few times, no idea why). With that app, you initially just need one button called "Auto Tune Stability". Once hit, the Ronin makes loud servo noises like an ED209 or a T800 , the calibration stand shivers, and the camera turns upright. After a few seconds, it's useable.

But there are other parameters to tune. By default, the camera follows your movements, but way too late and too slowly. This is what these guys are for:

Wizard.jpg

Probably you don't want any roll behavior with a gimbal, but you'd want the camera to follow your deliberate pans and tilts, you just want these movements smoother. So you have to play with those settings, until you are satisfied ("Deadband" = the higher the value, the more the Ronin ignores your movement). Took round about an hour, until we were satisfied.

This morning, we went to the glider airfield to test the thing in the field. The sun was so bright, we couldn't see shit on the tiny A7s' display. So we mounted the Shogun on top. We still couldn't see enough to really frame the images. What is more, the additional weight of the Shogun made holding the Ronin for more than, say, two minutes - impossible. And we both go to the gym on a regular basis and do quite a lot of shoulder and neck workout.

We also changed the lenses. One was considerably heavier than the first, but balancing it (of course you have to carry the calbration stand with you) was a matter of two minutes. It took another ten minutes for the phone to find the Ronin (this is kind of a PITA) to hit Auto Stability, but afterwards everything worked fine.

For the time being, having not much experience with the device, I dare to draw some first conclusions:

1. To believe that such a gimbal replaces tripod and shoulder mount would be naive fallacy.

2. It replaces a steadicam.

3. Even though this is a lightweight model and we had a small camera, you really don't carry this around all day. 

4. I am musing about video glasses. Any suggestions? Comments? Has anyone tried this?

Huge thanks Axel!
Now I'm more then uncertain about it! I'm still thinking to a simple Glidecam... Let's see... :)
For video lenses I recently started using an Olympus 12-40 f/2.8 on my GH4, a very nice lens, even if I prefer my trusty FD primes kit, but when in rush this is a great solution. 
For monitor under sunlight I use an Aputure I bought from a forum user: he putted a matte protection on the screen and it works very well.

Now I'm more then uncertain about it! I'm still thinking to a simple Glidecam... Let's see... :)

Ever since the first "gamechanger" threads on handheld gimbals emerged, I remained sceptic. Particularly the effect of travelling to, away from or around inanimate objects (cars, trees) is something that wears off quickly, more so if done with ultra wide lenses. This is true for Glidecam/Flycam/Steadicam shots as well, as long as they don't serve a well-defined purpose. Similar with extreme sDoF that was en vogue for a few years. But wouldn't you agree that it's nice to have these opportunities in our tool box?

We also made some shots with a 70mm, and they were smooth too, something you'd hardly try with a Glidecam. Didn't try longer lenses so far. Very few nowadays explore what tele lenses have to offer. Of course these things shouldn't be misused to just show off. Watch this clip on 'Bayhem' from everyframeapainting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q

This is what we missed on the airfield yesterday: long lenses. As you can see, the best dynamic effect comes from cutting between wide shots and tele shots. And I don't rue to have bought the Ronin, because it offers some things you can't do with a Glidecam. But doubtlessly, two or three years from now, the construction of these devices will have improved to such a degree, that you need to change then. Maybe they become lighter, maybe 5 axis stabilization will be standard, who knows now?

Ever since the first "gamechanger" threads on handheld gimbals emerged, I remained sceptic. Particularly the effect of travelling to, away from or around inanimate objects (cars, trees) is something that wears off quickly, more so if done with ultra wide lenses. This is true for Glidecam/Flycam/Steadicam shots as well, as long as they don't serve a well-defined purpose. Similar with extreme sDoF that was en vogue for a few years. But wouldn't you agree that it's nice to have these opportunities in our tool box?

We also made some shots with a 70mm, and they were smooth too, something you'd hardly try with a Glidecam. Didn't try longer lenses so far. Very few nowadays explore what tele lenses have to offer. Of course these things shouldn't be misused to just show off. Watch this clip on 'Bayhem' from everyframeapainting:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2THVvshvq0Q

This is what we missed on the airfield yesterday: long lenses. As you can see, the best dynamic effect comes from cutting between wide shots and tele shots. And I don't rue to have bought the Ronin, because it offers some things you can't do with a Glidecam. But doubtlessly, two or three years from now, the construction of these devices will have improved to such a degree, that you need to change then. Maybe they become lighter, maybe 5 axis stabilization will be standard, who knows now?

You're right! My "problem" is that I'm on a budget, so I try to invest "wisely" asking to people that knows more then me what to do ;)
I'd love to obtain shots like this, he uses a Glidecam 4000.

https://vimeo.com/124098814

Of course If Ronin M is reliable (motors etc... that are fragile from what I understand) I will spend that money to have something that can make my work better :)