Sony RX10 II review final conclusion and introduction to its smaller brother, RX100 IV

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Also, anyone who has this, have you been able to use the Playmemories app to control the camera?

RX10 II works with it, but it's pretty limited (same goes for the A7RII probably). E.g. you cant't shoot video using a Picture Profile. I've told them in January when I got the A7s, but naturally nothing has happened since then. If more people requested this feature perhaps this would be implemented. It's a real shame, too, because the app has the best image of all the remote apps I've tried.

Andrew, a great review!

Previously, I owned a GH4. With the Vario 12-35, and the Metabones for my Nikkors, I had over $3000 US unjustifiably tied up in that system. For me, the RX10m2 is a better fit for my uses, at least until the Nikon D8XX with 4K and a high bitrate codec becomes available. Then I'll have my do everything, all in one camera.

It is funny though how people see things differently. I've found that video and stills from the RX10m2 are quite sharp and measure up well against the GH4 and 12-35 combo. I have also found the AFC in video to be useful. It hunts a bit at first but then seems to lock on and stay there on moving targets. I've done plenty of pans out to 200mm on moving targets all while keeping the subject in good focus. All I need it to do really. I would however say that if I needed to be sure, I'd probably just use the manual focus option. I would like to see a firmware upgrade to make the focus peeking more exact. The GH4 was definitely better in that regard.

Lowlight isn't so great in my opinion but I suppose I've only really stress tested it there. With proper handling and good post work I wouldn't be at all surprised in your findings up to 6400. So that's good to know and I'll try to get better exposure when shooting low light.

All in all and again, a great review and I much appreciate your time in not only doing it but for the forum to discuss these things!

Hi Andrew.

Thanks for the review. I'm also interested in knowing how the Panasonic LX100 holds up agains the rx10 ii and the rx100 iv. Both in quality of 4K/1080p and low light performance. Having played with both, would you consider the lx100 a viable option - also considering the price of LX100 now is around £500 compared to £800/1100 for the sony's. 

By now you might be wondering which to pull the trigger on - the RX10 II or RX100 IV?

The good news is I have now finally got round to finishing my review of the RX10 II and have also bought the RX100 IV to compare it with...

Read the full article

How do you compare Sony a7rII 4k image quality with Samsung NX1 4K IQ? As Sony uses FF sensor so it should have much better video IQ and low light performance than Samsung's APS-C sensor, right? If it is true I plan to switch to Sony.

Thanks,

John

Andrew, a great review!

Previously, I owned a GH4. With the Vario 12-35, and the Metabones for my Nikkors, I had over $3000 US unjustifiably tied up in that system. For me, the RX10m2 is a better fit for my uses, at least until the Nikon D8XX with 4K and a high bitrate codec becomes available. Then I'll have my do everything, all in one camera.

It is funny though how people see things differently. I've found that video and stills from the RX10m2 are quite sharp and measure up well against the GH4 and 12-35 combo. I have also found the AFC in video to be useful. It hunts a bit at first but then seems to lock on and stay there on moving targets. I've done plenty of pans out to 200mm on moving targets all while keeping the subject in good focus. All I need it to do really. I would however say that if I needed to be sure, I'd probably just use the manual focus option. I would like to see a firmware upgrade to make the focus peeking more exact. The GH4 was definitely better in that regard.

Lowlight isn't so great in my opinion but I suppose I've only really stress tested it there. With proper handling and good post work I wouldn't be at all surprised in your findings up to 6400. So that's good to know and I'll try to get better exposure when shooting low light.

All in all and again, a great review and I much appreciate your time in not only doing it but for the forum to discuss these things!

• Administrators

Marvellous Mr. Reid, simply marvellous. Would something like the cheaper rangefinder be a good fit on this to get rid of the fly-by-wire focus?

Interesting suggestion, I'll try that!

How do you compare Sony a7rII 4k image quality with Samsung NX1 4K IQ? As Sony uses FF sensor so it should have much better video IQ and low light performance than Samsung's APS-C sensor, right? If it is true I plan to switch to Sony.

Thanks,

John

Both very nice, the A7R II is better in low light especially with the Metabones Speed Booster (which you can't use on the NX1)

The NX1 has an incredibly clean image with no noise up to and at ISO 800, then it falls off a cliff from 1600 onward.

The A7R II has a bit more dynamic range. Both have similar rolling shutter in S35, but switch to full frame and provided you don't mind a bit of moire you can reduce RS on the A7R II considerably.

The codec on the NX1 maintains a sharper image, more detail, but you get a mushy blocking in areas of large colour blocking. More banding in the sky for example. The codec seems to give all the data to the details and leaves nothing for the smooth gradation. On the A7R II the image is softer, not as sharp in 4K, bit mushy but nothing to worry about and it grades pretty well.

Prefer ergonomics of the NX1 body and the price is half.

A problem with both is - They both have sensors that seem to capture 3x more green than red or blue and it hurts the image vs Fuji and Canon cameras. I've seen it in the raw stills not just video or S-LOG.

I have also found the AFC in video to be useful.

So have I & criticism in the review surprised me as it was one of the features that was immediately noticeable when I first used the RX10M2. Compared to any other hybrid camera that I have used the Continuous AF was much more like a proper camcorder like the AX100 (which I also own).

Interesting suggestion, I'll try that!

Both very nice, the A7R II is better in low light especially with the Metabones Speed Booster (which you can't use on the NX1)

The NX1 has an incredibly clean image with no noise up to and at ISO 800, then it falls off a cliff from 1600 onward.

The A7R II has a bit more dynamic range. Both have similar rolling shutter in S35, but switch to full frame and provided you don't mind a bit of moire you can reduce RS on the A7R II considerably.

The codec on the NX1 maintains a sharper image, more detail, but you get a mushy blocking in areas of large colour blocking. More banding in the sky for example. The codec seems to give all the data to the details and leaves nothing for the smooth gradation. On the A7R II the image is softer, not as sharp in 4K, bit mushy but nothing to worry about and it grades pretty well.

Prefer ergonomics of the NX1 body and the price is half.

A problem with both is - They both have sensors that seem to capture 3x more green than red or blue and it hurts the image vs Fuji and Canon cameras. I've seen it in the raw stills not just video or S-LOG.

Andrew,

thanks for for the reply and comments. I just love the clean and beautiful 4k images produced by the Samaung NX1 so  I may keep it especially after reading your message. I want to see more 4k footages shot with the Sony A7R II to decide if I want to switch.

Great review. Really loving the camera so far. Agree with some others about low light. I just used it to shoot a wedding and there's going to be noise over 1000 ISO for sure, but nothing that a little noise correction can't fix. Shooting 4K made a lot of the post work (cropping/stabilizing) so much better/easier. 

Here's a couple of test shoots I did when I first got the camera with my daughter. It's a mix of 4k and 1080 120fps slo-mo. All shot in SLOG2.

Would something like the cheaper rangefinder be a good fit on this to get rid of the fly-by-wire focus?

Sorry, I'm still a bit of a noob, but I'm intrigued by this statement, even though I don't totally understand it; what do you mean by this quote?

I know what fly-by-the-wire focus is, but how does rangefinder fit in here?

I went with 2x A7R2 and the RX100 IV.  RX100 II is great for all who don't own a system with interchangable lenses.

The RX100 IV does have an internal optical 2x zoom that keeps the 4K quality and brings the camera to app. 140mm - but only in film mode, not in other modes like M that maybe most like Andrew are using.   I did order 4 wide angle and 4 tele converters last week, it seems the ones from Soligor work best and in 4K 16:9 video mode you can even get away without vignetting - but that does need more comparison and testing when all are delivered.   52 MAG Filter was a bit too large and heavy for me, so i used the smaller sticker screw ring by Kiwi.

Am enjoying the RX10 ii emmensely! 

Its a great stills camera too, it can shoot in low light without high ISO very well due to stabilisation.

im finding like most that Slog2 is too yellow and magenta out of the box so I've dialled them back and pushed the red a bit too.