Sony A7R II gets DxO marked

wolf33d

DxO tests the A7rII sensor: Is the new king of Full Frame (by a hair)

Well amazing low-light and color depth. Low light was expected. 
Very disappointing DR, considering an APSC Nikon D7200 does better here, not to mention a very old D5200 (200$ camera) has the same DR. And D810 is a full stop better (huge...).

By the way, I shot 2 weeks with a D5500 and I was surprised by the DR for an APSC sensor. I could get good pics from one exposure, unlike on 5DIII. 
For me DR is super important. 

Example of a D5500 shot with the trees at the botom that were completely 100% black (image was underexposed for the sky) completely recovered : https://500px.com/photo/116251089/star-over-assiniboine-by-loup-fsr

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

By the way, I shot 2 weeks with a D5500 and I was surprised by the DR for an APSC sensor. I could get good pics from one exposure, unlike on 5DIII. 
For me DR is super important. 

Example of a D5500 shot with the trees at the botom that were completely 100% black (image was underexposed for the sky) completely recovered : https://500px.com/photo/116251089/star-over-assiniboine-by-loup-fsr

Great picture! Since A7rII has the same DR as D5500 (and better color sensitivity) you will be able to capture the same quality of photos.  

DxO tests the A7rII sensor: Is the new king of Full Frame (by a hair)

Well amazing low-light and color depth. Low light was expected. 
Very disappointing DR,

Oh come on. Look at my previous comment. 

And D810 is a full stop better (huge...).

For less than 1% of the users. For the other 99% the much better DR in high ISO and video will be more useful

You must have found the only point in the whole review that the A7rII performs very good and not great :)  

On that note, DXO does not test long exposures, where the DR of A7RII appears to suffer the most. 

Better DR at higher ISO value... LOL this was the argument of canon for years saying there sensor is better than the Sony one. 

Otherwise for the first comment above, yes I agree 13.9 is enough in real life. But when you pay 3200 in the last camera you are sad to get one stop less than D810, obviously. And as you mentioned the worst is with long exposure....

And don't get me wrong, A7RII is an awesome camera. 

I have the feeling 3200 is not the right price considering those quirks..

2500 certainly.

The point was made specifically for the DR during video, and the A7rII can record for hours HD footage without melting like the D810. 

With the FLAT profile, you get pretty much all that DR on the D810. Maybe you lose a stop, but you also have great colors to work with. Meanwhile, the A7R II has shut down due to overheating. 

Better DR at higher ISO value... LOL this was the argument of canon for years saying there sensor is better than the Sony one. 

Otherwise for the first comment above, yes I agree 13.9 is enough in real life. But when you pay 3200 in the last camera you are sad to get one stop less than D810,

Canon C100M2 only provide u 12 stops of DR ,and the  5DS  only shoot 7 stops DR 30P 1080 without LOG and pixel-banning,but it priced $3700 ~

Nikon D810 without LOG,only gives u 9 stops of DR!

With the FLAT profile, you get pretty much all that DR on the D810. Maybe you lose a stop, but you also have great colors to work with. Meanwhile, the A7R II has shut down due to overheating. 

You keep mentioning the overheating but I have never seen any A7rII camera overheat during HD recording. 

I have no doubt that D810 is a great camera and quite likely the colors will look better out of the box when compared to the A7rII, but what's your point?  

You keep mentioning the overheating but I have never seen any A7rII camera overheat during HD recording. 

I have no doubt that D810 is a great camera and quite likely the colors will look better out of the box when compared to the A7rII, but what's your point?  

That this test from DXO Mark, combined with the A7R II's well-documented overheating problem, proves to me that there's little reason to choose it over the D810 for hybrid shooting. It takes equal or better stills, has a much better lens library, offers more robust professional and third party support, is more reliable with long recordings, has a much better battery life, and gives you comparable DR with better colors. Oh, and it's $200 cheaper. Besides 4K and the EVF, I don't see a lot that points in the A7R II's favor unless you just can't cum without 4K. 

That this test from DXO Mark, combined with the A7R II's well-documented overheating problem, proves to me that there's little reason to choose it over the D810 for hybrid shooting.

Again, A7RII during HD recording does not overheat.

It takes equal or better stills, has a much better lens library, offers more robust professional and third party support, is more reliable with long recordings, has a much better battery life, and gives you comparable DR with better colors. Oh, and it's $200 cheaper. Besides 4K and the EVF, I don't see a lot that points in the A7R II's favor unless you just can't cum without 4K. 

Where did I say that someone should buy the A7rII over the D810? Buy whatever works for you best. I am pretty sure each one has its own needs/wants. 

Keep in mind that DXO compares just sensors and digital processing. Cameras are much more than that. Please look again and you will see that the whole conversation was just on numbers...

Keep in mind that DXO compares just sensors and digital processing. Cameras are much more than that. Please look again and you will see that the whole conversation was just on numbers...

I mentioned a whole slew of other factors besides just numbers, actually.

Where did I say that someone should buy the A7rII over the D810? Buy whatever works for you best. I am pretty sure each one has its own needs/wants. 

You compared the two and concluded that those interested in shooting video as well as stills would find the A7R II more useful. I was providing a counterpoint.

Again, A7RII during HD recording does not overheat.

The A7R II also doesn't stack up to the D810 in HD mode. You have to downsample its 4K to get comparable results...and 4K overheats the camera in 10 minutes.

I mentioned a whole slew of other factors besides just numbers, actually.

Yeah, I know. My point was "Relax we were just comparing some numbers and not the cameras as a whole package" 

You compared the two and concluded that those interested in shooting video as well as stills would find the A7R II more useful. I was providing a counterpoint.

Nope. Never did that. 

The A7R II also doesn't stack up to the D810 in HD mode. You have to downsample its 4K to get comparable results...

It could very well be the case, I never claimed otherwise. But if you have evidence of this I am sure a lot of people would be interested to see it. 

and 4K overheats the camera in 10 minutes.

Well now its getting silly. Enough with this gearheaded fights. 

Nope. Never did that. 

For less than 1% of the users. For the other 99% the much better DR in high ISO and video will be more useful

Uh huh. :) 

Yeah, I know. My point was "Relax we were just comparing some numbers and not the cameras as a whole package" 

I'm plenty relaxed, but you seem to have some problem with the comparison. Can't I discuss how they compare both in numbers and as a whole package?

It could very well be the case, I never claimed otherwise. 

I didn't say you claimed otherwise. I just put forth the information. Why do you take everything I say as an attack?

Well now its getting silly. Enough with this gearheaded fights. 

I wasn't "fighting." You made a point. I disagreed, so for the sake of anyone who looks through this topic for information, I made a counterpoint. That's how discourse works.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

5DS  only shoot 7 stops DR 30P 1080 without LOG and pixel-banning,

5Ds gives 11 stops of dynamic range in video mode at Neutral Picture style and an incredibly detailed HD image without any aliasing/moire just like full pixel readout sensors. I have no idea where 7 stops come from it's incorrect. Plus it has all that whilst being a camera not designed for video at all, even the company tells you so. 

D810 has about the same dynamic range as the C100 in Flat picture profile, around 12 stops, about a stops or 1.5 stops higher than Canon DSLRs, and the A7s has an extra stop of DR at S-LOG2 in the highlights but noisier shadows. Not as higher DR as you might think plus much better colours and reliability/durability. 

Try the D810 and A7s in Flat mode and you'll understand. Both have great video images, D810 being much better colours, much less rolling shutter and much more durable body and battery life and much better stills while the a7s has a stop higher DR in 3200 ISO SLOG2 plus the smaller body, better sensitivity and EVF. Both have incredibly sharp s35 crop modes and sharp FF modes without aliasing/moire and high dynamic range. 

And do people still read DXO? 

Even worse, on a video site? 

I thought we've passed that era. 

And do people still read DXO? 

Even worse, on a video site? 

I thought we've passed that era. 

Yes people still read DXO. 
Yes some people who do video also do photo
You thought wrongly. And if you passed this area and do not care at all about DxO, why did you bother clicking on a thread called "A7RII gets DxO marked", and even worse, comment on it?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Because I wanted to express my opinion about DXO as a source of image quality performance, with a little invention called ''sarcasm'', look it up. And as you may see people everywhere agree, but also many disagree, if you believe in DXO the power to you,

but I'll come here and ''click'' on any DXO mark topic and 'comment' saying whatever I want about it, me and everyone who doesn't believe in it as a good source of information on image quality of cameras. 

That's what a forum is for. If I only searched for topics on things I like and spent all my time praising them my existence would have no value here. 

I really prefere the scalbility of Sony, you can go very light without the hassle of an extra EVF to shoot, as you need for Canon and Nikon DSLR. Put a bigger lense fe-28-135 ( get a range from 28 till 200 for video). Go with ShoGun if you stay in one location. Take amazing stills with the A7r2. It all about prefereses, but I am tired of dragging the big Canon + lenses around the world. If your sitting in front of your desk, many camreas looks nice on paper. 

I really prefere the scalbility of Sony, you can go very light without the hassle of an extra EVF to shoot, as you need for Canon and Nikon DSLR. Put a bigger lense fe-28-135 ( get a range from 28 till 200 for video). Go with ShoGun if you stay in one location. Take amazing stills with the A7r2. It all about prefereses, but I am tired of dragging the big Canon + lenses around the world. If your sitting in front of your desk, many camreas looks nice on paper. 

Agree with you. 
On a French forum a guy compared weight of A7R II + 5 usual lenses (35 1.4, 55 1.8, 70-200 ...) and compared with Canikon equivalent, and the total weight difference was only a few grams. 

Still, better gain a few grams than nothing I agree (at the expense of ergonomics..?) 

For me the biggest pbm with DSLR is the mirror and OVF and poor live view AF performance. Otherwise ergonomics is good, lenses are good (want cheap and light, take canon 50 1.8 for exemple, want expensive and big, take canon 50 1.2... Lots of choice) ..

That's strange. To compare you have to take a 1DC to get 4k. The Fe 28-135 (gives 200 in S35 mode) add the FE 55 1.8 for low light. I have the canon 70-300 and the 1dx, this will be way more. So its wrong. The Fe 35 1.4 is heavy though. Batis 25 would be lighter.