First footage from Leica S (Typ 007) Medium Format

sudopera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

That looks astonishing. I know that the pixel peepers will start tearing it apart, but that's the closest I've seen to an authentic medium format look in digital next to the Arri Alexa 65. The motion cadence is just amazing. And of course, it's way too damn expensive. The lenses alone are several thousand a piece and exclusive to the camera.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Even the 4K s35 looks astonishing, and the medium format HD is just a completely new motion aesthetic, heavenly. Please someone make a cheap sub 4000$ MF video camera. I'll even settle for 720p.

Even the 4K s35 looks astonishing, and the medium format HD is just a completely new motion aesthetic, heavenly. Please someone make a cheap sub 4000$ MF video camera. I'll even settle for 720p.

the dragon is just 5mm narrower, nothing mindblowing, nevertheless you start to see the awesomeness.

Just wait for the Pentax 645Z to drop in price and will be $4k soon enough. 

I'm with you guys. Not really blown away either. I know it's Leica and it's expensive, but that doesn't justify getting a wow from me. They've put a whole shooting team on that and that's what the best you can get out of the camera? Not so sure then... yeah, you get nice sharp subjects against a creamy flowy backdrop, but other than that there's hardly more charm to that footage than something RAW shot with a 5DmkIII or so.

I've heard the rolling shutter is terrible in 4K mode.

The sensor has a crop factor of 0,8x compared to fullframe. The fastest Leica S lenses are f/2.5. In terms of DOF, any fullframe camera can give you the same DOF with f/2 lenses...

I really can't see what's special about that sample clip uploaded in 720p. Could've been shot with a Canon 550D, some good lenses and the help of a good colourist.

I've heard the rolling shutter is terrible in 4K mode.

The sensor has a crop factor of 0,8x compared to fullframe. The fastest Leica S lenses are f/2.5. In terms of DOF, any fullframe camera can give you the same DOF with f/2 lenses...

I really can't see what's special about that sample clip uploaded in 720p. Could've been shot with a Canon 550D, some good lenses and the help of a good colourist.

Its a médium format with 0.8x crop compared to fullframe ?! Doesnt that defeat the purpose of....Medium Format ?

Well, it means that full frame itself comes in at a crop of 1.25x. Crop factor 1x would be the same size as full frame. GH4 in 4K would be 2.3x crop. But anything below 1x crop, so 0.8x, would be bigger, even though it's a bit odd to still call it a 'crop'. 24mm FF lens on a M43 4K would be 55mm (x2.3). On MF 19mm (x0.8).