A7RII - E-M1 IBIS Test

Don Kotlos

Just received the A7rII. 

Late in the night, I just mounted both cameras on the same plate with a heavy handle and did a quick & dirty IBIS test. I just moved around without trying to shake the cameras like crazy (ok maybe just a bit at some point :) ) . There might be some extra movement because of the stability of the rig with the cameras (but both cameras do physically move the same way). 

Settings are as close as possible. 1/60 f/1.4 ISO 800 WB3100. 

25mm T0.95 SLRMagic + Tiffen UC3 on E-M1, 50mm f/1.4 AIS Nikon on A7RII.

1080 30p Fine on E-M1, 4K FF 24p 100Mb/s on A7RII. 

Simple premiere edit to make the composite. No effects applied. I wanted to also compare to the warp stabilized A7RII version but only analyzing the 1.5' 4K video would take more than 30' and I would fall asleep before it was done (I now appreciate NX1's DIS a bit more, since can't imagine how much time it would take to analyze a 30' recording).   

Keep in mind that the DoF is different since I wanted to compare the same ISOs under shitty light.  I might do another test in daylight and then the DoF will be controlled. Also the videos might seem unsynchronized but believe me they are. This is really the IBIS in action.  

Hope it is useful for some of you... 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Good Joke, Ebrahim! ;-)

I am not. The only reason you might say that is you find the right one markedly better in stabilization so me saying the left is hard to believe? I'd be surprised, it looks horrible vs the left, almost no I IBIS at all vs the left actually. 

OP: which is which? 

I am not. The only reason you might say that is you find the right one markedly better in stabilization so me saying the left is hard to believe? I'd be surprised, it looks horrible vs the left, almost no I IBIS at all vs the left actually. 

OP: which is which? 

He said it: "reverse order of the video title"

So left is Oly, right Sony. Comes as no surprise.

Are you absolutely sure the one on the left isn't the Sony?  I see lots of strange flare that looks exactly like others get using adapters.  Look closely again.

There was no point at which I was confused as to which is which. The difference was so dramatic that I had to double check the A7rII had the IBIS on and at the correct focal length. That is why I didn't even think of labeling the footage. The flare is because of the filter that is used with the E-M1. 

I guess it was only clear to the ones that have used the Olympus IBIS before... 

I also didn't want to comment on the huge difference between the two so I wouldn't start a fight. 

All I can say is that I can't wait for the E-M1II to have 4K. 

There was no point at which I was confused as to which is which. The difference was so dramatic that I had to double check the A7rII had the IBIS on and at the correct focal length. That is why I didn't even think of labeling the footage. The flare is because of the filter that is used with the E-M1. 

I guess it was only clear to the ones that have used the Olympus IBIS before... 

I also didn't want to comment on the huge difference between the two so I wouldn't start a fight. 

Right. But, no need! Go on post... ;-)

Same here.  In the meantime, I've reluctantly become a little smitten with my EM5II.  Once I learned the muscle memory for the egos it became a competent shooter.  Not perfect, by any means, (no ISO exposure adjustment while shooting?) but a great creative tool if you wield it properly.

Also, I'm discovering that shooting EM5II footage with vintage lenses really takes the edge off the video and gives it a more pleasing aesthetic, so not only is the body pretty cheap, but the lenses I'm using with it and getting the best results are as well.  

Same here.  In the meantime, I've reluctantly become a little smitten with my EM5II.  Once I learned the muscle memory for the egos it became a competent shooter.  Not perfect, by any means, (no ISO exposure adjustment while shooting?) but a great creative tool if you wield it properly.

Also, I'm discovering that shooting EM5II footage with vintage lenses really takes the edge off the video and gives it a more pleasing aesthetic, so not only is the body pretty cheap, but the lenses I'm using with it and getting the best results are as well.  

Yep thats the reason for using the Tiffen UC3... Also outdoors a variable ND of questionable quality makes it even better since both act like low pass filters that take care of the aliasing. 

Think they made it clear they want the E-M1 to be the photography flagship. Didn't even get 24p/25p.

Instead, they brought out a E-M5II for the naysayers that's all about 'cinema-quality movies', 'Top-class movie performance', 'all at top-class level', 'Advanced movie features for professional level movie making', 'professional level movie editing', 'professional level movies making' and 'Functions that go beyond flagship models'.

So, no, I'm not expecting the E-M1II to have 4K video or be as videocentric as the E-M5II. The E-M5III might be, but by that time they've probably hooked off anyways and leave video be to Panasonic, Sony and BlackMagic.

So, no, I'm not expecting the E-M1II to have 4K video or be as videocentric as the E-M5II. The E-M5III might be, but by that time they've probably hooked off anyways and leave video be to Panasonic, Sony and BlackMagic.

In that case they will be pissing away on a big opportunity. 

In the worst case I hope they somehow improve the 1080p quality.