Improve your pocket 4k videos!

Lift-Up

Here you can see the s6 using the flat profile against the stock note 3 camera and the sony ax100 camcorder

When you expose for the highlights you can recover a lot of shadow info

Its not actually a flat profile.. is more like a natural profile, with a decent dynamic range. You can get good shots if you expose correctly

It's funny how when the Sony Ax100 came out I said I thought the highlights were garishly blown in the sample videos and I was savaged.  Highlights are routinely blown in early sample videos but I was really taken aback by what I saw with the AX100.  This video confirms my apprehension.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

Do you know of anything that gives Lumias higher bitrate video?  I think that is all we are missing.  New Lumia flagship is allegedly going to have Snapdragon 810 running it.  I assume it should be capable of higher bitrate 4k video.  I guess with Windows 10 the developer should be able to port the app fairly painlessly.

nope, I hope its in the 1020 successor. But since I use both its ok. I've only had my Flex 2 a few days but really like it.

Will be a good match to the 940 :)

nope, I hope its in the 1020 successor. But since I use both its ok. I've only had my Flex 2 a few days but really like it.

Will be a good match to the 940 :)

Yeah I don't understand what is taking so long on a 1020 successor.  Honestly I would pay a premium for a phablet/1020 successor combo.  With a 5.7" screen there would be a lot of enthusiast takers.

• Super Members

Yeah I don't understand what is taking so long on a 1020 successor.  Honestly I would pay a premium for a phablet/1020 successor combo.  With a 5.7" screen there would be a lot of enthusiast takers.

When I spoke to the developers at MWC they where of course not specific but it was clear that a 1020 successor before 2016 wasn't very likely. 

It's funny how when the Sony Ax100 came out I said I thought the highlights were garishly blown in the sample videos and I was savaged.  Highlights are routinely blown in early sample videos but I was really taken aback by what I saw with the AX100.  This video confirms my apprehension.

I also said that, not very popular :)

Some where in such denial it was comical. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Yes, you are right. I am the developer of the Cinema 4K app.

I have started this development, because of the limitations of the built in camera app. I have also tried other apps for 4K video recording, but at the end I decided to write my own.

I have tested it on an LG G4 and Samsung Galaxy S6. On LG G4 the AE lock is not working and  - because of the weaker CPU - the 4K recording sometimes drops frames when other apps are running in the background. On the Galaxy S6 there is no SD card option, however I could attach an external storage over OTA and configure the app to record there. Works good.

Cinema 4K relies on the Camera2 API. This is quite new in Android and unfortunately not too many manufacturers implemented it on their phones. It also requires Lollipop (5.0) Android version. The Google Play Store automatically selects the available devices for download the app based on the OS. This might be the reason Note 3 is not listed. I will try to set this manually if possible.

Thanks for starting this forum and your valuable feedback. I am planning to add some new features in the future, but at the same same time I would like to keep the app as simple as possible and not to overload. The main idea is to get the maximum quality from the camera and later on you can edit it on PC/Mac environment.

Thanks and Best Regards,
Gabor

Dude you disappeared. I am sure everyone would love a face-off between the S6/ S6 Edge/ Note 5 etc and the iPhone 6 Plus with whatever app is best for it. I would put my money on the S6.

Btw, how well would this run on the Moto X Pure or Style? 

Here is a 4k footage from the new iPhone. It looks REALLY good, specially if you consider that it was shot by a vlogger. Colors looks great, dynamic range also very good.. Looks promising!

Iphone 6S vs Sony A7s

The video quality has improved tremendously. I would love to see a face-off between this and the 200Mbps Samsung S6 monster. 

Hardly has to do with the iPhone itself. It was properly rigged for stationary shots. Properly rigged for movement. They used lens attachments. Quite a bit of slowmo. Music. Voice over. Cuts. Editing/grading. Story. It was all there. Yet, only <1% of iPhone 6s videos will look like that. And it could even have been shot on a Samsung, LG, Nokia or what have you. But if it was, probably nobody would make a fuzz about it. iPhone wins festival. iPhone does 4K. It's really a large cult with large following and the scattered variety of folks on the other side not clinging to one brand so much that defines what we're seeing here. I mean, I guess it works to create hype, but to me that doesn't mean there's more actual value to it than other smartphones/cameras, which I think is a shame. I guess that's just the way it is.

Listen, I'm not hating or saying it sucks. It does a great job. But it's not the first and only one to do a great job... but people live in their Apple bubble and didn't see what else is out there. But it's nice for them to catch up. If you are digging the Apple philosophy, already got a Macbook, iPad, iPhone, I get how an Android or Windows device doesn't quite fit in and are happy that you've now got some better options to shoot video. But it's not a revolution iPhone started... it however seems people are kind of treating it like that. That's what I think is quite off about all this.

This was upload two years ago people, just saying...

• Super Members

I sometimes hide the fact that I use Android together with windows phone since Android users tend to be so fanatic and almost like a cult.

And I guess thats why the iphone gets so much hate for not being first with 4k.

Same thing will happen if the 5Div gets 4k. It will be endless battles about how Red, BMD, Panasonic and Sony already did it.

[..]

about how RED, BMD, Panasonic and Sony already did it.

Which in all fairness they did. So you can't come from a 5DmkIII having been oblivious to what's going on 4K-wise outside of the Canon prosumer DSLR stills focused bubble and praising it to be 'the messiah' (yeah, bringing back the good ol' 'messiah') that will revolutionize things.

But I don't think it will come to any battle there. With the 1DC out... with the A7RII and so on... you must've been in hibernation and underneath a rock for quite a while in order to have missed that and ignoring its previous existence and importance. The 5DmkIV might be decent... pricing it somewhere around what the A7RII does, it might be a very interesting hybrid camera. If its 4K is any good, then it might be a cool purchase. But... still it's optical viewfinder system VS mirrorless EVF & functionality, so that's one thing that sets the competition apart. Then they don't want to hurt the cinema line, so I doubt other than being able to do 4K, it really being that fantastic. Or it might look the part, but nothing fancy like upped frame rates and nothing robust... until the folks over at Magic Lantern wave around their wand. So. Ehm. Yes, I doubt anyone would consider a 5DmkIV as such to be changing videography landscape anytime soon... or atleast acting as if it's the camera that put 4K on the map and pretending it to be the one true camera that has been unprecedented.

It's not really about rooting for Android. There's just more choice and options there. Hardware... or exciting forks/takes on Android with a different shell. That's the thing, there's no one best thing, unless with the iPhone the latest is 'the game changer'. It's more about thinking outside of the bubble. Even Microsoft is exciting to me. Linux distros are. Hey, I even think Macintosh is right for a lot of people, just not me. Don't feel the need to bash it. Haven't said anything about the video out of the 6s sucking. It's good. Willing to change my mind about Apple/Macintosh stuff whenever they get to be a more attractive option. Which they just aren't to me for now. So I wouldn't call myself an Android fanboy. I perhaps just call some other individuals stuck in the Apple hive. Which is fine for them, but the narrow focus on Apple doing everything and being the one true god I'd consider a bit unhealthy and misrepresentative of what they playing field is in general. But yeah, clearly I spend my 2ct differently than the next. So, eh, yeah, there's that.

• Super Members

But the problem is that people that are happy about it will be attacked. Just like you do now to iPhone users that are happy about getting 4k. It's not like they didn't know it existed in other phones. It's just that they liked the phone they had. And now when they have 4k, they are happy about it.

I just never understood this phenomenon that happens all the time with smartphones, cameras, cars, computers, you name it. People get attacked for liking their new car by people upsetting some other car already had the same features. ..... ? It's just so weird to me that you react in this way.

Bloom's 4K Samsung footage looks amazing, have to say it. I think 4K is finally hitting its mainstream moment, helped majorly by the iPhone shooting it now. Whilst before it was a great future-proof thing to have, I'd say if you're buying a new camera now it's pretty important.

Of course, 1080p will still be the norm, but there will be way more 4K stuff out there in the coming months.

But the problem is that people that are happy about it will be attacked. Just like you do now to iPhone users that are happy about getting 4k. It's not like they didn't know it existed in other phones. It's just that they liked the phone they had. And now when they have 4k, they are happy about it.

I just never understood this phenomenon that happens all the time with smartphones, cameras, cars, computers, you name it. People get attacked for liking their new car by people upsetting some other car already had the same features. ..... ? It's just so weird to me that you react in this way.

I'm not saying it's not good or that they shouldn't be happy about it. I'm saying, the balance of focus is off, which I think is a bit unhealthy and misrepresentative. If I as a muslim would get my megaphone and walk through cities praising the word of Allah and the Islam: 'Allah is almighty! Allah is great!', 'Islam is the one true religion!', 'I'm so happy I found my religion!'. You could be sitting at home minding your own business with your scented candles and Budha statue doing some yoga and be fine with anything others are doing. In meanwhile... newspapers are headlining 'Guy screaming 'Islam is true religion' has a point!'. It's one thing that I'm making such a big deal out of it. But if everyone starts giving me attention it shifts the focus, even for outsiders, to one thing. I mean. As with any hype, it will gradually fade into normality until something new pops up. But I don't know. I think its not right to give something so much more value/interest than other stuff. I think it's to a point that it's just a gimmick now. I shoot a short film on an iPad? I suddenly get covered everywhere. I show up to Starbucks with a Windows Surface Pro and suddenly my name is 'Jawn' and I get an ice coffee instead of what I've ordered. I'd like to see everything treated equally you know, I kinda see an imbalance and a focus shift.

blinkers_I1.jpg

But again. We'll differ. So it's of little use to keep being weirded out by my responses, as they'll most likely won't change its core. ;)

Hardly has to do with the iPhone itself. It was properly rigged for stationary shots. Properly rigged for movement. They used lens attachments. Quite a bit of slowmo. Music. Voice over. Cuts. Editing/grading. Story. It was all there. Yet, only <1% of iPhone 6s videos will look like that. And it could even have been shot on a Samsung, LG, Nokia or what have you. But if it was, probably nobody would make a fuzz about it. iPhone wins festival. iPhone does 4K. It's really a large cult with large following and the scattered variety of folks on the other side not clinging to one brand so much that defines what we're seeing here. I mean, I guess it works to create hype, but to me that doesn't mean there's more actual value to it than other smartphones/cameras, which I think is a shame. I guess that's just the way it is.

Listen, I'm not hating or saying it sucks. It does a great job. But it's not the first and only one to do a great job... but people live in their Apple bubble and didn't see what else is out there. But it's nice for them to catch up. If you are digging the Apple philosophy, already got a Macbook, iPad, iPhone, I get how an Android or Windows device doesn't quite fit in and are happy that you've now got some better options to shoot video. But it's not a revolution iPhone started... it however seems people are kind of treating it like that. That's what I think is quite off about all this.

This was upload two years ago people, just saying...

Man, but that's the point!

To me, it is a mere exercise of show off and marketing (in a market flooded by thousands of other digital shooters trying identical luck in the same film festivals) certain experiences as Tangerine (shot on iPhone 5s) where lots of movement and high sensitivity requirements would require better acquistion tools, available and affordable out there.

Bloom is always trying the best outcome from the tool he uses (even in the last one made with the new iPhone 6s, he ends it stuck with stationary shots and the weakest link of the chain is exactly the beginning when movement shows how fragile these tools can be), that's the spot; the same for the test of Mattias.

The question is you need to know very well what we can do with the tools you have.

This is the good news* after all:

(and this higher bitrate you don't have it by default straight out the box from the manufacturer, it is the combo, in this case, with the resolution provided, the factor which counts and equals professional tools, so ready to be used as insert shots, as for instance)

200_Mbps_vs_50_Mbps_talvez.jpg

*from Mattias' test

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Cinema 4k App developer:

Please fix: I bought the full version with 1 google account, but when I added another account (as my primary account), the app keeps asking me to buy the full version again using my new account. If I remove the second account, then I can use the full version again. 

Basically, make the app check if ANY Google Play accounts on the phone have already purchased the full version, not just the Primary account. 

Also, you could add a boolean hasBeenActivated (or something like that) so that if the full version was activated at any point, it should set it to true so the app doesn't have to connect to internet and check with Google play every time it starts up. I am test driving my uncle's OnePlus 2 and I installed your app on the phone and bought the full version using credits I had, but when I remove my account so I can give him the phone, the app again asks to buy the full version.

Lastly, if you could add support for slowmo (1080p 60 & 120 and 720p 60, 120, & 240) this would become the absolute ultimate!

Thanks!

I love the app!! I've recommended it to and had 4 of my friends download it already!

Dear Developer, I tried the app on the Samsung S6 Edge, and while the video quality is excellent and comparable with DSLRs that shoot Full HD (Maybe even 4k), the profile could be More FLAT. Like the one on the Cameringo App, when the Contrast is pushed Completely Down. 

Thanks in advance ... ;-)

Hi Guys,

Yes, you are right. I am the developer of the Cinema 4K app.

quoted in hopes that this will reach you nokker!

I noticed that the App worka best onSamsung Galaxy S6 (and Edge) and probably the Note 5. I saw quite a few online videos including on the One Plus Two. It works on a lot of phones, has hiccups on the LGs, but on the Samsung's it really seems to be nailing it.

I also noticed that there are Intensity Levels in Flat Profile and various settings too. I am actually Very Curious to know how much the footage can be pushed and whether at High Flat Profiles it competes with the SLog or VLog even marginally.

The more I learn about this, the more I am fascinated. 

Screenshot_2015-09-08-16-48-24.png

i wanna learn more too! ive only run through these settings once to do a quick comparison with my note 5. ive gotten the most usable image information with the flat profile type on dark + light, the flat profile intensity on medium ('high' seemed to give the same image after post, harder to monitor on screen), and the noise reduction set to normal

Hey Cinema 4k App developer:

Please fix: I bought the full version with 1 google account, but when I added another account (as my primary account), the app keeps asking me to buy the full version again using my new account. If I remove the second account, then I can use the full version again. 

Basically, make the app check if ANY Google Play accounts on the phone have already purchased the full version, not just the Primary account. 

Also, you could add a boolean hasBeenActivated (or something like that) so that if the full version was activated at any point, it should set it to true so the app doesn't have to connect to internet and check with Google play every time it starts up. I am test driving my uncle's OnePlus 2 and I installed your app on the phone and bought the full version using credits I had, but when I remove my account so I can give him the phone, the app again asks to buy the full version.

Lastly, if you could add support for slowmo (1080p 60 & 120 and 720p 60, 120, & 240) this would become the absolute ultimate!

Thanks!

I love the app!! I've recommended it to and had 4 of my friends download it already!

Dear Developer, I tried the app on the Samsung S6 Edge, and while the video quality is excellent and comparable with DSLRs that shoot Full HD (Maybe even 4k), the profile could be More FLAT. Like the one on the Cameringo App, when the Contrast is pushed Completely Down. 

Thanks in advance ... ;-)

hmm interesting, on my note 5 i havent gotten noticeably better results with the flat profile intensity set to high vs medium, 'high' seems like the same image with the contrast pushed down even more, have you liked the results of 'high' better? ill have to check out Cameringo~!

has anyone else had a chance to use the cinema 4k app more? any thoughts/tips/tricks? :relaxed:

I also chose Dark + Light. But the Intensity level has to be High. I noticed that the profile looks noticeably more Flat. Also, the Noise Reduction cannot be switched off, since then, it actually starts Creating fixed pattern noise.

I hope it works on the Excellent Nexus 6p phone. That one's sensor is an engineering masterpiece. I was blown away by the 240fps video. The camera can actually do 300fps, and the 720p looks IMHO as sharp as the one from the Sony cameras (RX10 ii and RX100 iv). Also, it can do RAW 35fps at 12.35MP, apart from 4k at 60p.

Pushing the bitrate in that one comparable to the GH4 would seriously be something.

Maybe, as I predicted, mobile phone sensors will finally start competing with mhch larger sensors (beginning with, for video). 

This one was shot on the Cameringo app on a Note 2 or 3. And it was shot in terribly low indoor light. And the picture looksa lot more like Vlog.

Cameringo_20151005_010817.jpg

• Super Members

Someone said there where only static shots.

The biggest problem imo when shooting handheld is the ois. I wish it could be turned of. It wouldn't be a problem to handhold such a wide lens but the moving sensor makes everything woble.

In this video there is plenty of handheld footage. It starts roughly at 2:30.

Colors from those city shots are really nice imo.