Pilotfly H1+

wolf33d

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah, I had already posted a bit about this over here: http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/3293-3-axis-camera-stabilizing-systems-–-overview/?do=findComment&comment=99388 .

Definitly keep up with them over at their Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pilotflytech and YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Yanherlin/videos .

Encoders on these things seem the next evolution to really take it to pick-up and go. And with great in-body stabilization playing its part, it seems we've come a long way from tweaking around with the Nebula 4000. But I liked Dave's argument to still go with the H1+ over the one with the encoders. Light and low profile. Can't shake the feeling however that I like the footage from the 8-bit H1 better than the 32-bit H1+ for some reason... more organic/flowy. As I can wait, I'll hold of on buying a pistol grip gimbal stabilizer for now. I hope the A6100/A7000 will make an appearance soon and I hope it as well features in-body stabilization. That would be wicked.

Totally with you on that one. It's heading in the right direction, but I think you can still see the sensing -> processing -> adjusting back in the footage. It seems a little too corrected and not yet as organic and flowy as I'd like (and have seen before with the 8-bit H1) which is why, quote: I'll hold of on buying a pistol grip gimbal stabilizer for now. Have seen a couple of projects working on 4 axis stabilizers, to counteract the bouncing, but didn't seem more than some prototypes turning into abandoned concepts. My comment on a DrewNetwork video several months ago:

3-axis is nice, but there needs to be another axis that controls the up and down motion, dampen that. I saw several projects, but they all seem dead. 'Cause basicly one would need that in order not having to get the walk down rather perfectly by tons of practice/it to be idiotproof. Think best is to wait it out. Like you said, perhaps Q1 everybody will be over this, but like the MOVI, there's a lot of companies coming up with their own spin on it and charging less! I bet one of 'em will get 4-axis down and since I'm an idiot, with no time and patience, that will be the thing for me! For now I think the pistolgrip is kind of subjected to a lot of up and down motion? I saw someone putting it on a fig rig which seemed to kinda make sense to get it a little more stable. But then again, you could just get a MOVI type device (Cheesycam is working on his own thing, with a joystick and everything)... we'll see what the new year brings, but I bet somebody will get it right.

The pilotfly h1+ looks really impressive. Wish it had replaceable batteries. The Came Single is suppose to get 10 hours per battery set vs the 1.75hr of the pilotfly. Not great for long hikes or camping trips. Anyone know how the external power is suppose to work? On the pilotfly site it looks like another internal battery.

Hi I've just used the H1+ with rx100m4 at a wedding. This combo is quite impressive. Basically shooting at 100fps Full HD while gliding. Quality of the footage is superb when slowed down 25% in post. Also have A7II and A7S but chose the RX100 to be on the H1+. The up and down is less noticeable on the RX100 due to it's weight. Definitely notice it on the A7 bodies. You basically need to develop a walking technique when using heavier bodies, just like the traditional Glidecams. Not so much with the RX100. The combo is quite compact and very light which is why i chose it over other pistol grip gimbals (thanks to Dave's review). Design could definitely improve, like having a hook/clip so you can strap it and carry it along when you have a monopod / A7II with you. Handle could have been designed so it has a hinge at the motor junction so you can fold to carry easier. replaceable internal batteries, and maybe arms that lock when not in use. 

I had a 9 hour wedding shoot, with 2 external batteries and it lasted me the whole time (not shooting full time on the H1 though).

Dearborn the external battery plugs in to the charger port of the H1+'s handle, that then acts as the power supply. You have to obviously cary it with you, so I just secured it to the bottom of the handle where I have screwed a manfrotto QR plate. unsightly but works fine.

might post some footage of the the slow motion on the H1.

Also got the H1+ ... just an awesome tool, I hardly use a tripod any longer. Btw... it works with the NX1 + the 16-50 S lens. Battery life suffers a little bit but it does work, but I prefer to use the small pancakes on the NX1 when using the gimbal.

You get full stabilised shots, so some "bouncing", probably due to poor walking technique, is more than acceptable. The OIS on lens or some stabilisation in post probably correct it 100%. I still haven't buyed anything but I am searching. Buying in Europe is a PITA.

The H1+ would probably prefer a NX500 to a NX1!

You get full stabilised shots, so some "bouncing", probably due to poor walking technique, is more than acceptable. The OIS on lens or some stabilisation in post probably correct it 100%. I still haven't buyed anything but I am searching. Buying in Europe is a PITA.

The H1+ would probably prefer a NX500 to a NX1!

thanks : ) ill be waiting to see a bit more of these "corrected" footage before buying anything :) 

Wolf, ok I get your point but nx1 is a mirrorless camera. Perhaps the heaviest one arount at about 600gr, and with the smallest s lens it goes to 1300gr, which is already more than the h1+ can hold. If they did it at 1500-1600gr, I would buy it in a heartbit.

Use the samsung 16mm pancake, 72gr. Or the 20-50mm, 119gr. Will work perfectly fine. No need to have a big zoom on a gimbal.