Sony RX100 review

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hi Andrew. Super review. I was interested to read your comments on the RX100 being sharper than the NEX7. The reason I ask is that the NEX7 and RX100 were reviewed by camcorderinfo.com and the the NEX7 sharpness measured higher than the RX100. e.g. NEX7 = horizontal 700 lw/ph vs 550 for the RX100. I own both and my impression is that the NEX7 is sharper, even with the kit lens. I also compared both to the TM700 and it is in a different league for clarity/sharpness. The NEX7 comes close to the TM700 with a good prime, but unless I have a substandard RX100 sample, I'm finding that video (shot at 1080/50P) looks a little dull, especially at the wide end of the zoom range.

[quote name='Zach' timestamp='1346744018' post='17269']
This video here mentions he had problems with overheating every 15 minutes or so. Has anyone else had a problem with this? I really do need the 30 minute record time, as I was planning on buying one of these as a B-cam for some wedding footage

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZ9m845DFYI[/media]
[/quote]

I've shot up to the 29-minute limit with mine at room temperature, and while the overheating indicator started flashing at around 11 minutes (like with the NEX-5n), it never actually forced me to stop recording. So while I'm sure overheating can become a problem, it hasn't stopped me yet.

[quote name='Rungunshoot' timestamp='1349227219' post='19343']
I've shot up to the 29-minute limit with mine at room temperature, and while the overheating indicator started flashing at around 11 minutes (like with the NEX-5n), it never actually forced me to stop recording. So while I'm sure overheating can become a problem, it hasn't stopped me yet.
[/quote]
It may not stop recording, but it might damage the cameras internals over time. Overheating also supposedly degrades image quality, as the h264 encoding chip suffers. Only read that in forums about the 550D, but since cooling always is a big issues with computers in general, digital cameras will be somehow affected too. Maybe someone here can elaborate further and post some proof...?

[quote name='Zach' timestamp='1350341953' post='19794']
Just ordered one!!! Man am I excited. My t2i has about had it. Rubber grips falling off...etc. This will hold me over till my next purchase of a 5D or 6D
[/quote]

I mainly cut together T2i and RX100. I'll be interested to see what you think. The RX100 still seems a lot more "video like". It's sharper, yes, but feels quite plastic... let us know how you get on and how well you manage to match them.

I think I could tell which shots were which here if I didn't know: [url="https://vimeo.com/48174944"]https://vimeo.com/48174944[/url]

I don't dare to guess which is which. On my brief encounter with the RX-100 I had two issues: First, the light flickered although with 1/50th shutter you don't expect that to happen in Europe. Second, the 50i recording (will be 60i in USA) showed the typical motion blur for interlaced (i thought I read somewhere this was just a flag like with the HBR mode of the GH2). So from this vague and few impressions I'd say some of the band's footage was from the Sony.

Interesting! The band footage was all 550D, the light flicker was created on purpose with some high frequency LEDs, just a fun aesthetic. no one outside of video production sees it as a mistake (which in this cse it wasn't), they just see an effect! It always looks great slowed down too...

I'll have a full review of this coming within the next week or two!

I think matching it with the 550D is pretty doable, in many circumstances. I brought both with me on a trip to Phoneix for a corporate gig. Used the RX100 for wide shots and the t2i for close up/interview stuff.

Funny, I have never sold any photographs, but within a week I had posted a picture of a sunset taken with the RX100, and a former professor of mine told me he wanted to buy it! This suckers done paid for itself already

Heres a quick video I (hastily) shot and edited last week. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4M61FiBslKA

• 1 month later...

Holly %$#@! That's cool. I thought I was looking at GH3 footage graded or something. My home movie cameras (modified flip MinoHD) are in the trash now. How much is this thing....

It is a little pricey at 650! I think $500 is a little more reasonable but it was worth it to me to have something pocketable and not as imposing as a dslr

• 2 months later...

gosh, I have seen a lot of camera footage the last couple of days, GH2, FZ200, TM900, LX7... but:

this is absolutely the best!

I want to have it, only one thing bothers me really, which I wanted to avoid since I have the same problems when filming with the Panasonic LX5 (yeah, I know): 

the fixed monitor. Is there anyway around it, a port for external monitor or something? 

If there is, then this is my camera!

thank you!

the fixed monitor. Is there anyway around it, a port for external monitor or something? 

If there is, then this is my camera!

thank you!

There is an HDMI port, but it's in an awkward location, if you can get a riser between the camera and tripod or rig, then you can use an external monitor.

A cable like this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4SHQY/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

It's almost like they... didn't want you to use it while shooting...

RX100HDMIport2.jpg

Apparently you can output 50/60p to it during record, for uncompressed capture using Blackmagic recorder, though I've not tried...

Yes, you can use an external monitor but the micro HDMI slot is situated right next to the tripod thread so it's very hard to use both at the same time. Some DIY skills are needed.

There's another good Sony RX 100 thread here http://www.eoshd.com/comments/topic/1955-sony-rx100-getting-the-best-video-out-of-it/

And here's a couple of links to work where I have Sony RX 100 footage mixed in with other formats - 

http://www.withup.com/ (in the first video to play almost all the "people" shots are done with it).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jq-rDvP5-I

(I was filming behind the scenes and most of the content is by others but there are at least five of my sequences from the RX 100 that ended up in the final edit).

I've used it on plenty of other jobs to get fast grab shots I wouldn't get otherwise. 

The Neutrogena video? 

GoPros for the timelapse, Canon C300, 5D MK III, Sony NEX 7 (I shot), Sony RX 100 (five shots).

The edit had to be done quickly. I don't think there was much time for advanced color balancing between cameras.

guys!

Thank you for your help! I will consider this. I appreciate your knowledge as professionals - stunning videos too!

Keep up the good work. One I got the camera I might post more on my DIY sollution of extern monitoring. Don#t expect high profession there as I am only an artist not a filmmaker (yet, haha!).

cheers