Sony RX100 review

Andrew Reid

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Hello,[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
I just bought the RX100. I noticed that the front rotating ring does not turn in a completely smooth way but it sort of sticks a little bit (feels a tiny bit harder to turn) at each half rotation and then gets smooth again. Since I still cannot find any other RX100 in the shops to compare it with, can you please tell me if this is the intended way the front ring behaves? Thank you!![/size][/font][/color]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='sfrancis928' timestamp='1342297378' post='13864']
If you want to conform 60p to 24p should you keep your shutter speed close to 48? Or should you still set it to around 120?
[/quote]

I'm also curious as to what shutter speed to use.

Also, if you're essentially throwing out frames to conform 60p to 24p, how well does this intercut with native 24p?

• Administrators
Putting shutter to 1/30 on the camera gives you a look similar to 24p. I'll do a comparison between that and my GH2 in 24p, see if you can tell the difference. Motion blur will be more than 1/50 but I still like it.

in order to achieve 25p from the 50p out of the rx100, you have to use a 25p avchd timeline in premiere pro.
If I use 1/25 shutter for 50p in what kind of a timline do I have to put it to get 25p. This is important to know for verly lowlight conditions.

if you go slower than your frame rate ie slower shutter than 1/25th sec while shooting 25p you get a jolty non smooth look. why is it that if i set to 50p and shoot at 1/25th sec (on paper roughly the same as shooting 1/10th sec at 25p) I dont get the jittery look?

• Administrators
Yeah F11 is it. But when you're shooting in bright sunlight with any camera you need an ND ideally, not just RX100. I never stop down to F11 just to maintain 1/50. Given the choice between a rock and a hard place I'd rather choose to shoot wide open at 1/2000. Depth of field control has a larger affect on the overall way the image looks than shutter speed, especially if your shot is locked down or with little subtle movements inside it.

Superb video Andrew. I haven't been to Berlin since I was there in the 90's with The Fleshtones playing my saxophone, but the city is as striking and interesting as ever. And those are some hauntingly beautiful cityscape shots from your RX100 video, and the slow-mo gives it a kind of dreamlike quality. Really impressive work.

Am really excited about this camera which I ordered the day it became available. I'm hoping Sony's release here in the States goes smoothly. It's a camera I have dreamed of owning since seeing work people were doing with the hx9v. And even though the hx9v is a camera I never got around to owning, this one will be in my bag really soon. Thanks for the best RX100 video sample yet by far and for an enjoyable review. All the best, Markus

@ EOS HD - Thanks for that opinion! I was blocked on the shutter = twice fps rule. Your comment got me out testing in bright light without NDs today, and learning a great deal from it... Shooting at 50 fps 1/640 and dropping the clips into a 25 fps sequence in Premiere still looks OK to me.

Well, at the moment I must shoot with mpg (what is it 30fps or 25fps), so with high shutter speed any movement that s faster than a snail looks stroboscopic, I hate that. OK there will be workarounds with those lens attachments, ND foil or the like. BTW I compared mpg and AVCHD stills, no remarkable difference (if at all) despite compression rate difference.

Hi guys,
Regarding the RX100 US/EU video frame rate difference... in the US it is 1080@30p/60p, in the EU it is 1080@25p/50p. I live in Europe. It seems these values are hardcoded and I don't want to perform any unofficial firmware patching (I don't even know whether it's possible?). It seems to me that EU frame rates are quite a limitation, and I'm deciding whether to buy the camera here or wait until somebody gets it from the US.
I'm not an experienced videographer, but it seems in case of frames-per-second, bigger number is better, am I right? I was planning on using 30p, because I think 25p won't be that fluid. Youtube supports 30p and overall it seems is more widespread format on the internet. Is there any reason I should prefer the EU 25p/50p?
Btw, I don't care about the 30min. max-clip-length limitation.
Please if any of you have some experience with video editing & similar stuff, which one's better? Is it worth to wait and bring the camera from the US? Thanks a lot.

• Administrators
[quote name='brano.vaclav' timestamp='1342636539' post='14105']
Hi guys,
Regarding the RX100 US/EU video frame rate difference... in the US it is 1080@30p/60p, in the EU it is 1080@25p/50p. I live in Europe. It seems these values are hardcoded and I don't want to perform any unofficial firmware patching (I don't even know whether it's possible?). It seems to me that EU frame rates are quite a limitation, and I'm deciding whether to buy the camera here or wait until somebody gets it from the US.
I'm not an experienced videographer, but it seems in case of frames-per-second, bigger number is better, am I right? I was planning on using 30p, because I think 25p won't be that fluid. Youtube supports 30p and overall it seems is more widespread format on the internet. Is there any reason I should prefer the EU 25p/50p?
Btw, I don't care about the 30min. max-clip-length limitation.
Please if any of you have some experience with video editing & similar stuff, which one's better? Is it worth to wait and bring the camera from the US? Thanks a lot.
[/quote]

No the bigger is not the better. The cinema frame rates are 24p and 25p. 30p and 60p look too smooth which gives an electronic sheen to the image. The higher frame rates are only useful for 3D footage and slow-mo.

Both 60p and 50p can be changed to 24/25p in post so you can have the more cinematic slower frame rate.

The reason they differ between the US and Europe is that the electricity supply frequency is 60hz in the US and 50hz in Europe. The frame rate needs to be in sync with this, or evenly divisible into it like 25p is into 50.

If you think the lens on the Sony RX100 is good, check out the lens on the Panasonic LX7.

Sony 28mm-100mm f1.8 - f4.9
Panasonic 24mm-90mm f1.4 - f2.3

Also, it has BUILT-IN ND Filter (though I wish it has a 3-stop option). It also shoots Full HD @ 60p.

BTW, the company claims, the 1.7inch MOS sensor apparently handles Noise much better, and, it also has a Much Wider Dynamic Range. Also, it has a 920k screen resolution (maybe, they may use this, for the GH3).

Maybe, the GH3 will shoot Full HD @ 120p. Also, I feel, that Tests conducted o the Panasonic LX7, for video, will give us an idea od what to expect from the GH3.

• Administrators
It isn't 1.7inch, it is 1/1.7". That is much smaller than the 1 inch sensor in the RX100. The LX7 looks good but it really will not benefit from the small sensor no matter how good the lens is. Let's see what the noise and dynamic range is like, if it beats the DSLR rivalling stills I am getting from the RX100 for those two attributes, I'll eat my lens cap.

Yes, I realised its [color=#282828][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif]1/1.7 inch and not 1 inch. My bad. Its apparently smaller than the one on its predecessor, the LX5 (1/1.63 vs 1/1,7). So, size shouldn't matter here.[/font][/color]

I've personally never been completely satisfied with the ability of Panasonic Cameras to shoot stills. Though, I do believe, a lot of people were quite satisfied with the results of the LX5. Panasonic wouldn't make the quality of pics any worse, in the LX7, than the LX5. Most importantly, the Sony RX100 costs $150 more. So, if it doesn't have anything noticeably better, atleast in some departments, to justify that more-than-noticeable price difference, then, quite frankly, its a damp squid.

hahaha ... Andrew, i wouldn't want, you, to unnecessarily put, yourself, at any kind of risk, to merely demonstrate your eating habits. Or a one-sided wager ... :P