Sony RX100 review

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1342191786' post='13814']
The RX100 is a camera that fits in your jeans pocket. Would I consider intercutting RX100 footage with 1080p from a pro Super 35mm cinema camera? Yes I would.

This should give you an idea of what a monumental achievement the technology of the RX100 is.

[url="http://www.squidoo.com/sony-rx100"]Read the full story here[/url]
[/quote]

[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Great video made with the RX100 right at the beginning of the review.[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
I was living exact in that neighbourhood of Berlin-Mitte 5 years ago,
so all - Tacheles, Bode-Museum, Berliner Dom, Fernsehturm[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
and Oranienburger Strasse are the places I was passing by every day in and out of my appartment with the private garden in the heart of German capital.[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
Great city to live or to visit.
Berlin, I am coming back next year.[/size][/font][/color][color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]
However, slow motion for a video was chosen for a reason.
It is bacause of the rolling shutter problems with CMOS sensors.
Also there is unexplainable jerking of the picture
during the sky shot 1:27 - 1:36
What happened there?[/size][/font][/color]

I'm wondering what the audio recording is like on this camera. I'm not expecting much, but just hope the noise isn't too harsh. Of course the mic wil pickup every sound in the surrounding environment, and i can live with that, it's just to know if the audio can be used for grabbing some documentary type dialogue on the fly (like i sometimes do with my T3i or 100HS when i need to capture something in a second, and have no time to setup a dual system or external mic). I bought the S100 and was so dissapointed with the audio when recording video. As soon as you are in a somewhat quiet environment, you can hear the noise floor/loud preamps; it's like a constant waterfall in the background. It makes audio useless most of the times. Plus the autofocus of the S100 introduces loud motor noises onto the soundtrack as well. Very dissapointing seeing as my 130$ Canon 100HS point & shoot has much more acceptable audio recording capabilities. Anyways, just wondering how the RX100's audio recording compared to this, as it would be nice to be able to record clips in which the audio can be usable, as when shooting personal events and such with friends and family, and not having to take out a separate audio recording system every time you wish to capture your uncle's dirty stories... Thx for your input! Really appreciate!

• Administrators
[quote name='richg101' timestamp='1342227408' post='13841']
Based on the size of the sensor i recon this little cam could be a really good anamorphic camera. From what I have seen the best anamorphic dslr results have been from the GH2 - the smaller sensor seems to take better to the anamorphic adaptors like la7200, optex, century, soligor, generic. an even smaller sensor will bring the system even closer to the optimum where they used to use small sensor 4:3 3chip cameras with the anamorphic adaptors to create 16:9 before everything went over to 16:9. Andrew... Please Please Please try this out! :)
[/quote]

Quickly tried it with my Iscorama 36 and it works well. Set MF to infinity, focus with the anamorphic. I'll try it with LA7200 later. I had that mounted on the HX9v just fine. But the MF ring on the RX100 stops me from doing the same trick here. You'd need something that holds the anamorphic on set of rails and for the RX100 to sit on a quick release plate. Certainly doable, I will continue to explore...

• Administrators
[quote name='eaojunkie' timestamp='1342247798' post='13846']
[color=#000000][font=Tahoma, Helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]However, slow motion for a video was chosen for a reason.
It is bacause of the rolling shutter problems with CMOS sensors.
Also there is unexplainable jerking of the picture
during the sky shot 1:27 - 1:36
What happened there?[/size][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Not sure what you mean by the sky shot. Slow motion was chosen because it was all entirely shot handheld, not because of rolling shutter problems with CMOS sensors. The rolling shutter is far faster on the RX100 than any other large sensor stills camera I own.

I just prefer the look of slow mo and it takes away the last remaining jitter which the stabiliser cannot cure 100%.

I bet most people thought it was tripod shot... Nope handheld footage.

• Administrators
[quote name='MattH' timestamp='1342253750' post='13847']
Andrew, You say that the video was shot all handheld. It looks really stable. In the review you mention running with the Zacuto z-finder. Is that what you did with this video?
[/quote]

Nope, just holding the camera out in front of me with one hand, sometimes 2 :)

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1342273745' post='13852']
Quickly tried it with my Iscorama 36 and it works well. Set MF to infinity, focus with the anamorphic. I'll try it with LA7200 later. I had that mounted on the HX9v just fine. But the MF ring on the RX100 stops me from doing the same trick here. You'd need something that holds the anamorphic on set of rails and for the RX100 to sit on a quick release plate. Certainly doable, I will continue to explore...
[/quote]

Looking forward to seeing it!

• Administrators
DRO will create noise in the shadows. Contrast -3 merely fails to hide it. If you want pre-graded, which is often my preference as well just stick everything on standard. It works well! At high ISOs it is best to go for a contrasty look and crush the blacks to hide some of the noise.

That really seem to be an incredible tiny camera and bang for the buck !
I really love my Nex5n but your review just makes me thinking about what move I have to do... Do I have to sell my Nex5n and buy me this one? It seems it has a lot of the qualities of the Nex series but in a smaller body, which I find fantastic cause it won't be my main camera ( my Canon 7d actually is ).
Andrew, what are the advantages of the Nex5n over RX100 ( you owned both ) and what would you do after been testing both of them? Wich one would you pick?
oh and by the way, does the rx100 have an intervalometer function?

Again, thanx for this review and for this website !

Here's a complete review : [url="http://www.slrclub.com/bbs/vx2.php?id=slr_review&page=1&divpage=1&select_arrange=headnum&desc=asc&no=282"]http://www.slrclub.c...desc=asc&no=282[/url], in japanese unfortunately but with a lot of pictures and tests in front of charts and in real world... This camera is really appealing me... Size matters but in the tiniest way ;)

A little over the top but interesting review none the less. How come the XZ-1 wasn't mentioned, but others like the LX-5 and S100 were? I mean, it has a better lens, which is brighter (f/1.8-2.5), good range and wide (24mm). Also, you can use an EVF (the VF-2) on it.

Anyway, RX100 looks really good. I just wished it goes wider (than 28mm) and is brighter at the long (instead of being f/4.9). Other than that, it's great. It has more physical controls than NEX-5N and a sensor as big as Nikon 1, but with more resolution and better lens. I agree that it kind of makes lower end mirrorless and DSLR obsolete, especially when only using the kit lens. And let's face it, the majority don't buy a second lens, so for them, this makes sense.

That said, I'll wait for other makers to release their new premium P&S, like the LX-7 and XZ-2. I hope it would have a similarly sized sensor. That would be great. If not, I'll pick up an RX100.

@Trankilstef: slrclub.com is Korean.

• Administrators
XZ-1 could have been mentioned, as it is also destroyed by the RX100 for just about everything. I only mentioned the cameras I have had decent experience with though. The RX100 is actually even smaller than the XZ-1. It really does make it obsolete on both features and image quality, not to mention sensor size.

There's no need to wait for the others to catch up. If you do you might have a long wait.