A7Rii Overheat attempt//band aid

Francesco Spiezia

So first off I come from Live Events so my testing of the A7Rii falls into the pocket of shooting all day 1-8min clips and not getting a second chance. For that reason I am going to say upfront I would never walk into live event without a second body strapped to my hip especially with this hot 4K little monster. Now I shoot 1-8min takes because I lived through the 7D days of clips deleting at random so honestly I shoot smaller sized clips based out of habit. Even for toasts etc, we have multi cameras running so its no biggie. 

So I decided to run the new camera until I got the notorious temp icon of dread..... My take on that moment is what if I was on a  shoot how would I adapt aside from dipping the camera in ice or holding a cold beer to the of the back screen. 

Shooting 4K 100mbs FF 3200ISO Image Stabilizer On

I received the temp icon at roughly the 25min mark shooting 3-5min clips back to back. I quickly switched the battery out and than decided to use just use the viewfinder(not as heat heavy on the camera). I was able to from that moment shoot 3-5min clips for 40minutes without a single warning. I also switched over to S35 somewhere in the middle just to see if it would heat things up. Total Runtime was 65minutes without having to shut down /cool down. If my card did not fill up I would have liked to go even further.

I know its not ideal, but if the moment presents itself swapping a battery and switching viewfinders is a whole lot better than waiting for the camera to cool off. This also does give me hope on the A7Sii body re design to fix the issue as its lurking around the screen more than the sensor.

-F

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm sorry but the solution of having two bodies is a copout. Before I buy two A7Rii, I think I would just by one FS7 and be done with it.
Truth is I really wanted to like this camera, but for $3200, the overheat issue is unacceptable. Heck for any price the overheat issue is unacceptable. Can we all just stop tiptoeing around this thing and call it what it really is? The word is DEFECTIVE!

There I've said it, the Sony A7Rii is DEFECTIVE. Don't give them a pass on this. It is UNACCEPTABLE. Name  one other product in your possession that this would be OK for? Your car? Your computer? Your phone? This camera is DEFECTIVE, and frankly, a recall is in order.

I'm sorry but the solution of having two bodies is a copout. Before I buy two A7Rii, I think I would just by one FS7 and be done with it.
Truth is I really wanted to like this camera, but for $3200, the overheat issue is unacceptable. Heck for any price the overheat issue is unacceptable. Can we all just stop tiptoeing around this thing and call it what it really is? The word is DEFECTIVE!

There I've said it, the Sony A7Rii is DEFECTIVE. Don't give them a pass on this. It is UNACCEPTABLE. Name  one other product in your possession that this would be OK for? Your car? Your computer? Your phone? This camera is DEFECTIVE, and frankly, a recall is in order.

Chill out brah, there's no need to declare a state of emergency over this.  If the a7r II is "DEFECTIVE" according to the strictness with with you are applying this definition, I can't think of a singe camera/camcorder that's ever not been "DEFECTIVE" for at least part of its shelf life.

Every camera ever made-- especially groundbreaking cameras that offer a bunch of new features not available before-- have issues and quirks that need to be sorted out.  Not that issues and quirks are completely acceptable, but what really matters instead is how it's handled.  If Sony, or an ingenious filmmaker (like the guy who started this post), comes up with a workable solution, then great, no need to declare an emergency.  But if Sony ignores this (which, should be pointed out, was the result of a stress test) and no one can figure a way around it, then you can freak out and type in caps all you want.

Until then, be grateful you have the knowledge shared here and proceed accordingly.  yeezus.

First thanks for the kind words TapTap.

Yes it's frustrating DBounce I get it trust me.  My iPhone1 used to drain power. My D90 looked like Jello mold. My 7D would randomly corrupt clips and the same for three of my friends. The 1DC has crashed on me. Reds software would freeze up mid shoot..... Early adopting any product comes with the landscape of stress. I don't like it but I'm interested in this camera for the same reason everyone else is. The 1DC is priced out and you want a dslr solution in 4K. 

I'm not saying in anyway Sony gets a free pass, all I wanted to say is that if your committed to the A7Rii as your main camera there are some work arounds  if needed in a jam. Otherwise return it and go back to your camera that works for how you make a living. For me it's to volatile in 4K so I have to pass for now on using it for gigs. 

You see the problem here is the A7Rii is not the first in the line. This is a mkii product... The bugs should be fixed. And frankly bug is the wrong word to use here. Bug implies something that can be fixed with a simple software revision. This is a major design flaw. QC should have caught this early on. 

I'm puzzled why any purchasers would defend a defective product.

I kind of find it curious too, that if Sony did have overheating issues with many other cameras of theirs including the A5100, A6000, A33, A55 etc etc etc, why did Sony engineers not try and figure out what they need to work on and work on it. I am sure a lot of people don't mind having 10 min clips or shorter, especially for shooting film, but having heat issues restricting shoot timing is frankly a bad thing. Even the RX100 iv has heat issues, so whatever it is, that is causing it, has obviously been ignored for far too long. This is very strange, especially considering how path breaking their new technologies are. 

The word is DEFECTIVE!

Imho, defective is not the word, it's a limit of the camera. What's unacceptable is that it is not written black on white on the specs. Specs should report the minimum time you can expect to record without overheating problems. I also wonder how this whole overheating thing will affect the sensor and if the IQ will remain the same or if it will worsen with repeated use. 

That said, thanks to the OP for proposing a couple of partial solutions!

Thanks Antonis

Yes overall I am super unhappy with the situation DBounce and in no way am I defending Sony here. I haven't owned a Sony camera since my VX2000 days so I have zero brand loyalty. Xavier that was my discussion with a friend today on how much this heat will effect the sensor overtime. Sounds like a mid to long term issue.

Don I get mixed reads on forums about battery, for me personally swapping worked. For others I hear it does not matter. 

If you happen to put your eggs in the A7Rii basket and don't plan on leaving there here are some options to get more run out of the camera. As far as two bodies as a work around your still below the 1DC and have two 1080p bodies when needed, really it depends on if you need 4K on a budget.

Personally mine is heading back to the store since I have a 30day return and I will be waiting on the A7Sii or 5D4 and rent the 1DC when needed.

Imho, defective is not the word, it's a limit of the camera. What's unacceptable is that it is not written black on white on the specs. Specs should report the minimum time you can expect to record without overheating problems.

Because people would still put it in the oven and complain it overheats. Welcome to modern marketing (and politics by the way).  

I also wonder how this whole overheating thing will affect the sensor and if the IQ will remain the same or if it will worsen with repeated use. 

Me too.

Because people would still put it in the oven and complain it overheats. Welcome to modern marketing (and politics by the way).  

I can't understand your position. You propose that you either accept or not?? You must buy a camera that may or not record based on warming conditions which you can't control in any way. Then Sony should put a thermometer in every camera and tell you: "when it's at 50ºC you have 5 more minutes". 

thermometer-05.jpg

I can't understand your position. 

The problem is that there is no hard limit that Sony could put in the manual since the usable limit depends on the shooting conditions.

My point was this: Even if Sony decided to underestimate the length of the recording lets say 10 minutes max, people would still try to make the camera overheat and complain. 

In general I agree with you, I prefer when companies/people come clean from the beginning. Or at least put an accessible thermometer inside as you propose. 

It's a weak argument. And arguing this way will ensure that more companies put out substandard products. Gh4 doesn't overheat... Neither does Samsung. Over $3k gets you under 20 minutes in ideal conditions... Then what? Wait 10 minutes and be limited to 3-5 minute clips. If you are satisfied with that kind of performance, then you are mighty forgiving. I prefer cameras that can take abuse without skipping a beat. Clearly we have different standard.

Funny, if they would crap their product... and some group of geeks would develop some crazy hack to lift their limits, then would be a terrific steal...?  : D

C'mon, where do you find the best tech in the smallest 8K/4K package (yes, price included) ??!

Let's get a fair perspective on here, give a break to your (d)efective nonsense : ) With or without they had somehow clippled their hot stove in form of mirrorless camera only for SELLING their higher price range, they've offered the best they can in a REALLY portable capture device -- add external recording and stop whining about your VIRTUAL sex life with a girl you're not even thinking to date, go figure to live with! : D

(BTW, I didn't buy it yet, I had just placed a pre-order so to comply now, this camera will stand by me and letting run 'n gun no matters how many quirks we're still reading in these pages...

...only because you'd actually and merely love to pay it for a perfect angel just like heaven!)

|

|

|

|

|

V

It's a weak argument. And arguing this way will ensure that more companies put out substandard products. Gh4 doesn't overheat... Neither does Samsung. Over $3k gets you under 20 minutes in ideal conditions... Then what? Wait 10 minutes and be limited to 3-5 minute clips. If you are satisfied with that kind of performance, then you are mighty forgiving. I prefer cameras that can take abuse without skipping a beat. Clearly we have different standard.

I am trying to defend Sony in any way, I am just stating the facts. I don't enjoy gear fights. Of course I would prefer a product that is perfect in every way. Its not about having a different standard but different needs, I need a compact camera with IBIS that shoots great quality video. Neither GH4 nor NX1 do that. Until there is another company that makes such a camera, A7rII appears to be the only choice, as crappy and expensive that might be. I am sure that when they find a way to solve the heat issue they will release yet another camera. Would you prefer not to have the A7rII at all until they solve the problem? From user reports the majority of them sound pretty happy and they definitely don't believe the camera is defective. I think that works well for both Sony and their customers. 

Keep in mind that people had argued that:

FF in compact was not possible (RX1, A7, A7r). 

Then that proper quality video recording with FF in compact was not possible (A7s)

Then that IBIS with FF in compact was not possible (A7II)

Then that 4K with FF in compact was not possible (A7RII) 

Then that long 4K recordings with FF in compact was not possible (wait for A7sII). 

You have to give it to Sony for making it this far. You don't like Sony's products? I have a solution: Don't buy them! 

There are always going to be limitations, with any product, we just have to work around them. 

Now if I were a professional videographer, most probably I would not use the A7RII, but I doubt it was targeted to them anyways.