ND Filters tips

JazzBox

Ciao!

I like to shoot as cinematic as possible and for outside shoots I bought a variable ND filter.
I had some problems in few shots (mainly artifacts and green "ghost" flares) so I sold it and I started to use some fixed ND. With them I had some luck, but also some bad surprise in some wide angle scenes, such as heavy degradations in leaves, far trees and grass.

All my ND were HOYA, I gave them back to the shop as used. 
For the moment I'm controlling the exposure outside with high angle shutter, but I'd love to shoot 1/50 as much as possible.

Could you please suggest some good fixed ND? Do you think is it ok to stuck a couple of ND together?
Thank you very much!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Which Hoya NDs did you have? Their ProND line is very good. But their others, not so much. If you want a variable ND, I've have very good experiences with SLR Magic's. In this video I compared it to the Tiffen VariND.

wow thanks zak. i just started researching *variable* nds and i was looking into the slr magic for my rx10m2, do you think i would have any trouble using it with a 62-77mm step up ring? like i said ive just started investigating all this but ive already run into the weirdness of an "X" pattern at higher densities which can be exacerbated (?) by having the nd ~over~ another filter or whatever......

video was so helpful!!!! ?

I haven't run into an X pattern with the SLR Magic yet but I know they (SLR Magic) have stated it can happen. I use it with step-up rings as well (49, 52, 62 to 77). I believe the only hesitation I have about it is that it maxes out at cutting 6 stops. And sometimes, especially on bright southern california days, I wish I could cut as many as 8 stops.

Zak, colors look pretty good with the SLR Magic compared to the Tiffen. I had two different versions of the LCW Vari-ND (not the new thin version which is supposed to be better) and the Singh-Ray and they both had the dreaded X at about 5 or 6 stops, beyond that it was unusable for me. Gonna have to check the SLR Magic out.

I haven't run into an X pattern with the SLR Magic yet but I know they (SLR Magic) have stated it can happen. I use it with step-up rings as well (49, 52, 62 to 77). I believe the only hesitation I have about it is that it maxes out at cutting 6 stops. And sometimes, especially on bright southern california days, I wish I could cut as many as 8 stops.

You use multiple step up rings to 77... Why not just a 49 to 77?

i don't use multiple step up rings. i use a either a 49, 52, or 62 to 77mm. i've got step up rings coming outta my ears. i'm silly with all these step up rings.

haha. yeah, i need to get some step up rings. for the money i spent on inexpensive variable nds, of different sizes, i could have bought that slr magic. is there a click at every stop, or just at the ends?

I started to use some fixed ND. With them I had some luck, but also some bad surprise in some wide angle scenes, such as heavy degradations in leaves, far trees and grass. All my ND were HOYA, I gave them back to the shop as used.

Hoya ProND - Bryan Carnathan spotted sharpness/ghosting problem. Review: http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/10-Stop-Neutral-Density-Filter.aspx