New YAGH like device wanted, well worth it and needs promotion

PannySVHS

Hallo,

wouldn´t it be possible to bring out a YAGH like device with internal battery and GH4 like battery life?

As I´ve seen on this forum there are quiet a few technically well educated people on here, also practioners in the technical fields.

Thinking about JCS, Maxotics, Sunyata, Axel and others.

Is there anything out there with XLR and sturdy full HDMI or SDI connection AND internal battery? Havent come across anything like that yet.

Why not going for a Kickstarter campaign. Guys, would you like to do it? Fame and financial success would be yours!:)

Andrew, would you like to promote a project like that to your contacts in the field like Zacuto and so?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I"m considering buying it. I agree with PannySVHS though. It would be nice to have a battery grip type device that can be hand-held with an additional HDMI and SDI output.

Once I sell off a couple things and pick up the GH4, I'm strongly considering it. If you shoot indoors fairly often--which I do--then the full-sized HDMI and the audio connections are worth the extra wall socket.

Just wondering why it hasn´t been much of a topic. Atomos could bring it on to combine it with their Shoguns and Ninjas.

The device would be without the recorder then, cuz of cannibalizing their monitors/recorders.

Zacuto could bring it on. But I guess a camera cage with Mini HDMI lock will have to do it plus some Beachtek or Juicedlink:(

I think, people would buy this thing with internal 4K and HD recording, battery and XLR, even without the internal recorder.

• Administrators

Definitely doable on Kickstarter.

Massive 13,000mha battery is quite small these days, only slightly larger than a 2.5" HDD and smaller than a 3.5" one

An HDMI interface chip inside, from GH4 HDMI port... out to XLR, HD-SDI, probably an off the shelf component.

I've seen more complex stuff done on Kickstarter.

The YAGH was a sales DISASTER though due to dreadful ergonomics and need for external power, however they listened to with regards feedback on that should have had his mouth taped up.

The YAGH has a regular size HDMI port, and there are some interesting converters on eBay that conform to the body of the GH4.

Yeah. Just the combination of full HDMI, XLR, internal recording and battery would be awesome. All in a battery grip size package.

But good point though. Found this two minutes ago. But still, "Wouldn´t it be nice", to put it with the Beach Boys:)

1619_1.jpg

I'm hoping that the Blackmagic Assist works with the GH4. The panel isn't great from what I hear but it would be a nice 5" touch screen recorder to SD cards.

Strongly considering it as well, both as a 10-bit recorder for the GH4 and a nicer screen for the BMPCC. I'm less concerned about that panel quality than with Blackmagic's cagey-ness about what exposure tools will be included. We still don't know if it'll have false color, waveform, or LUT support. 

I don't mind adding an external recorder as long as I have full-size HDMI on both ends. It's micro HDMI that's the problem.

Definitely doable on Kickstarter.

Massive 13,000mha battery is quite small these days, only slightly larger than a 2.5" HDD and smaller than a 3.5" one

An HDMI interface chip inside, from GH4 HDMI port... out to XLR, HD-SDI, probably an off the shelf component.

I've seen more complex stuff done on Kickstarter.

The YAGH was a sales DISASTER though due to dreadful ergonomics and need for external power, however they listened to with regards feedback on that should have had his mouth taped up.

That´s what I´d love to see! What company would you propose or promote this idea to, if you were keen about it?:)

Wouldn´t Zacuto be able to pull this off? People would buy it I think.

• Administrators

Putting a 4K 10bit recorder in there would be possible as well. Enough room to cool it with a heat sink.

Panasonic missed a big opportunity...

They came out with a shit brick with wires in it for $2000.

It should have been a battery, a recorder, as well as an interface unit, or at the very least an ergonomic interface unit for XLR like what Sony have with their hotshoe thingy.

There is a wide open gap in the market for a battery grip recorder which extends battery life, uses single battery for camera and recorder, no extra bulky screen, just use the one on the camera. Shogun battery life, separate battery to worry about, big bulky screen, no thanks.

Putting a 4K 10bit recorder in there would be possible as well. Enough room to cool it with a heat sink.

Panasonic missed a big opportunity...

They came out with a shit brick with wires in it for $2000.

It should have been a battery, a recorder, as well as an interface unit, or at the very least an ergonomic interface unit for XLR like what Sony have with their hotshoe thingy.

There is a wide open gap in the market for a battery grip recorder which extends battery life, uses single battery for camera and recorder, no extra bulky screen, just use the one on the camera. Shogun battery life, separate battery to worry about, big bulky screen, no thanks.

Andrew, exactly- huge gap in the market. And you gave that child a name "battery grip recorder", I´d add- with XLR connctions. But thats too long for a name:)

Now you could promote that, if there would be some money earning opportunity in it for you, since pushing that idea to production level would be a lot of work.

I´m no tech guy, but some on your forum are. Like you said, "wide open gap in the market"!:) Maxotics is an engineer. He could provide some first steps maybe.

Sorry, I'm no engineer.  I spent a few years programming USB interfaces to cameras and Arduino controlled robots for panoramas.  Athough I think Andrew often expects too much from the camera companies this is one area where I completely agree that Panasonic should have shown up on his doorstep and hired him as a consultant on that device. Or they might have at least asked his opinion on this forum ;)   Why they even bothered, or set that price, is beyond me.  However, all these companies are obviously struggling to meet market needs.  

I bought a SmallHD 7 and hoped I could use it to take, and show, stills taken on my A7.  Problem #1:  The HDMI cable sometimes loses its connection and the SmallHD needs to be reset.  HUGE pain.  Problem #2: Although the external monitor will flip into portrait mode while shooting, it won't while in play mode.  So I can't show what I just shot in portrait mode.  They have to look at it cropped.  

My advice, which is probably a waste of time, is for you and Andrew to come up with the specs you want.  Then if Andrew can say 5,000 users will buy it at $x price I think Panasonic might go for it.  Having outside engineers do it, just too much work for a limited market.  If Andrew can resist humiliating people when they screw up, the bees will come to the honey!!!!

Sorry, I'm no engineer.  I spent a few years programming USB interfaces to cameras and Arduino controlled robots for panoramas.  Athough I think Andrew often expects too much from the camera companies this is one area where I completely agree that Panasonic should have shown up on his doorstep and hired him as a consultant on that device. Or they might have at least asked his opinion on this forum ;)   Why they even bothered, or set that price, is beyond me.  However, all these companies are obviously struggling to meet market needs.  

I bought a SmallHD 7 and hoped I could use it to take, and show, stills taken on my A7.  Problem #1:  The HDMI cable sometimes loses its connection and the SmallHD needs to be reset.  HUGE pain.  Problem #2: Although the external monitor will flip into portrait mode while shooting, it won't while in play mode.  So I can't show what I just shot in portrait mode.  They have to look at it cropped.  

My advice, which is probably a waste of time, is for you and Andrew to come up with the specs you want.  Then if Andrew can say 5,000 users will buy it at $x price I think Panasonic might go for it.  Having outside engineers do it, just too much work for a limited market.  If Andrew can resist humiliating people when they screw up, the bees will come to the honey!!!!

Hallo Max!

thank you very much for your reply. So cool to hear from you on this!

Your estimate of 5000 people willing to put up x$ price sounds very promising to me. Right now it´s us five so far. But 5000 people should really do it, I think too!

If Andrew is exited by this idea, I will be able to feel this device in my hands even before I got a GH4:) Seriously, I´d love that 10bit in a handy sturdy package, DSLR form

factor. So maybe Andrew can get some people at Panasonic or the supporting infrastructure interested and exited. "ANDREW REID Battery Grip Recorder"!

"Companies .. struggling to meet market needs", you put that into words very nicely:) It´s also interesting that they so obviously ignore some very

obvious basic needs, such as for sturdy cable connections and Playback in Portrait on the HD7!

best regards and a Good night, Sir (getting 1am around here:)

Yeah. Just the combination of full HDMI, XLR, internal recording and battery would be awesome. All in a battery grip size package.

But good point though. Found this two minutes ago. But still, "Wouldn´t it be nice", to put it with the Beach Boys:)

1619_1.jpg

I have that cage. Bought it after the micro-hdmi connection started failing on the second shoot I ever used it on. It's expensive and you can't tilt the screen at all when installed, but the hdmi port is solid. It even ships with a second port in case the first one breaks. They also make a baseplate that lets you screw into a speedbooster, locking it solidly into the camera mount. I definitely recommend it.