Nx1: 16-235 vs 0-255

Marco Tecno

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

I Think the luma range system works entire differently for the nx1 than the gh4 although it shouldn't. The luma ranges on the nx1 affects how it camera will compress the image. I just about always encounter weird artifacts and macro-blocking in some of my clips after a day of shooting with 0-255. 16-235 doesn't have these artifacts or they are "hidden" in the deep shadows where as 0-255 seems to be amplifying. My guess is that the picture profiles change how their curve is mapped based on the luma range selected

Maybe the compressor engine has more leeway in 16-235 than 0-255, so macroblocking is reduced?

could be ! The h.265 compression is a mystery, especially on the nx1. 16-235 seems to be the sweet spot. I'm testing 0-255 to see if the detail is truly there and can be brought back in range or it is truly lost. So far its looking like we are getting less dr out of 0-255 on the nx1

11 hours ago, kidzrevil said:

Is it just me or does it seem like you are getting a bit more visible detail with the 0-255 to 16-235 conversion @Pavel Mašek

This is only my opinion: I think that DR is same on both BUT you have to "convert" 0-255 to 16-235 in Premiere (otherwise it is not same). Benefit to shoot in 0-255 (according my tests) is that you receive more vivid colours even if you convert it to 16-235 in post and compare it with native 16-235. Level of details is probaly same I think. But maybe I am wrong...

6 hours ago, Pavel Mašek said:

This is only my opinion: I think that DR is same on both BUT you have to "convert" 0-255 to 16-235 in Premiere (otherwise it is not same). Benefit to shoot in 0-255 (according my tests) is that you receive more vivid colours even if you convert it to 16-235 in post and compare it with native 16-235. Level of details is probaly same I think. But maybe I am wrong...

Better color tonalities & less banding are expected theoretically with more bits as mentioned earlier in this thread. Your tests confirm that. The differences are subtle but still there. 

Some of Sony's gammas are also not correctly recognized in Premiere and it is indeed annoying. Even more annoying is that I don't know who to blame for this. 

@Don Kotlos @Pavel MaÅ¡ek I recently shot a video using a tiffen pro mist diffuser and I have noticed a wider range of gradations captured in the highlights with 16-235 than 0-255. Seems to be an actual gamma shift introduced into the picture profiles depending on your luma range. I also tried playing with 0-255 with a raised master pedestal and didn't like it so I'm settling on 16-235 and just using a profile that is not totally flat. Getting a saturated (not over saturated) image that you can use straight out of the camera seems to be the best option especially when using something as limited as 16-235

I will be posting all of my findings sometime soon in like a pdf or something

• 3 years later...