Did Samsung just kill the A7rii?

Mattias Burling

ok let's flip it, show me examples on why one should spend three times as much on the A7rII despite over heating etc.

First off... Actually, someone else wrote in these boards anything I can quote now: something like the technology in this field has reached a point where any improvement is incremental. I fully agree. So?

Lowlight performance and 4K in-camera we've already had, either on a7S or GH4/NX1 only to mention the best cases IMO.

The point is to have both in the same capture device.

Add that IBIS hand, despite DIS, OIS or any external accessory, with no mention of post much better than the infamous jittering... : D

+ 42MP for large prints photography and you'll have the whole package spread in pieces with the remaining offer out there.

Is it worthy of 3x times as you say? It depends on what you'll be doing with the camera for sure.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm certain it isn't worth three times as much. And with the overheating, I'm not convinced it's worth as much as the NX1... Certainly not if you're using it primarily for video.

Imo, the NX1 is punching way above its weight. While I was honestly hoping the A7rii would be an all around champ, the overheating issue appears real, and while it can be mitigated it cannot be fixed (an external recorder defeats the point of this camera). 

The main flaw of the NX1 H.265, is not really a flaw... It future proofs the NX1. 

• Administrators

Some tests I just did with the Samsung DIS:

Is it just me or is it absolutely crap?

Time for Samsung to stop ticking off the marketing features boxes and go for a real update with actual problems fixed such as the manual focus issues.

You do have to figure out how to make it work and in what situations to use, then it's not absolute crap.

Yes, it is dependent on a lot of factors and how you use it. I shot some test footage, and it was barely noticeable in some cases and was pretty good in others. In this particular video Andrew referred to though, the guy had an OFF clip, followed by the ON clip, and then chose to put the ON clip on the LEFT in the final comparison - it is really confusing and can lead people to think DIS made no difference because we're looking the part on the right as the DIS shot. Happened to me anyway.

Yes, it is dependent on a lot of factors and how you use it. I shot some test footage, and it was barely noticeable in some cases and was pretty good in others. In this particular video Andrew referred to though, the guy had an OFF clip, followed by the ON clip, and then chose to put the ON clip on the LEFT in the final comparison - it is really confusing and can lead people to think DIS made no difference because we're looking the part on the right as the DIS shot. Happened to me anyway.

I don't think it is confusing, Andrew is right on his comment but you too when you say the result is variable depending on the circumstances. As everything in life. Camera requires an operator.

;-)

I don't think it is confusing, Andrew is right on his comment but you too when you say the result is variable depending on the circumstances. As everything in life. Camera requires an operator.

;-)

Yeah, but trying to nail down the specifics, like what lens (Samsung vs. other, OIS vs. no OIS, 1.02 vs. 1.03, etc.), what situations (long vs. short), what kind of movements, etc. I will experiment myself and post, and hopefully we can put all the experiences together to come with a guide of sorts. Everyone with NX1: please test and post your experiences/footage!

Hey guys,

As I did those tests, I was trying to see how far the DIS would help on a 85mm - which has no IS - and in tricky situations. 

I don't think you should trust any test. Si was just an example based on my needs and don't have the purpose of covering anyone else's way of filming, needs, etc.

I agree with what had been said about testing it yourself first. It is very easy and quick to add/ remove the function and you can see result right away. In some situations it can be handy (if you have a lens with no IS, or if you don't have a tripod / gimbal , etc.).

However there is no miracle, and we shouldn't expect any from a DIGITAL stabilisation.

Personally I treat it as a time efficient solution if you don't want to spend hours stabilizing footage in post. If you use the "S" line of Samsungs lenses you'll get much better results - and of course the results are easier to gain when you have shorter focal length. 

I will also try with a Leica 50mm 1.4 to see what it looks like. 

Thanks for your comments :) 

Here's another handheld comparison, with the NX 16-50mm S lens, using clip sequencing not splitting (first OIS only, then OIS+DIS):

https://vimeo.com/137058534

This is a new feature. It needs experimentation to see when it is useful, and when not. It is useful even if you have OIS - maybe more useful.

This is really good: DIS is clearly reducing the micro movements, the last example is especially impressive. OIS itself doesn't seem too effective though, which is surprising.

While I'm the first in line to say that there are a lot of features that samsung could (should?) add to nx1, most of which have been suggested by real users (there was a thread on this very site), I think that DIS is not crap at all. If you shoot handeld, it actually makes videos look much better. I'm all but a video expert and I just judge based on what I see. Videos with DIS in which the operator does not shake hands purposefully, are really steady imo.

Sandro, it's very clear that you don't like the nx1. Every time you bash it. Why is that? You could simply buy anything else and be happier.

Btw I don't see any artifact in my videos when using dis. I'm very happy with it. Now I'd just want samsung to improve the dr, introduce a log profile and implement some of the user requested features.

Don't you see the awful artifact that you get due to the rolling shutter? I don't think I could ever use it. It gives me headaches watching a clip like that.

Am I the only one?

I think you need to get an NX1 and try for yourself. The DIS is great in some situations. It's a free software addition from Samsung. It never was a selling point for the NX1. But in certain situations when you have to be handheld, or when you have particular lenses, it can come in very handy. I definitely prefer it over premiere warp stabilizer (espescially in terms of time management).

And yes there is some rolling shutter at 4K. If you really need long focal + handheld you might want to record in FULL HD since the NX1 is one of the best camera for rolling shutter management in Full HD. 

Also the detail resolving is so great with the NX1 that you dont feel a lost in quality with the DIS crop. Now what's great, is that if you don't like it, you don't have to use it. 

The main flaw of the NX1 H.265, is not really a flaw... It future proofs the NX1. 

The main flaw is Samsung's crap lens lineup and lack of decent adapters. Outside of the two zooms there nothing great from a video standpoint because all those goofy pancakes suck when you want to manually focus. Sony is moving quickly to fill out its lens lineup and is announcing 7 more lenses this year, along with stellar entries from Zeiss - plus we already have a plethora of electronic adapters and speedboosters. Samsung? Nothing since the NX1 was announced.