Controlling highlight saturation by luminance

AaronChicago

In Resolve it's very easy to control Highlight or Shadow saturation by a value setting it to super dark only, or broad shadows. (0.400 , etc). Does anyone know a way to do this in Premiere? I have Colorista, MB Looks, and Lumetri controls. For the life of me I cannot figure out how to tweak the value of the highlight saturation.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Isn't it in the color wheels in lumetri color? 

Hue is the angle, 

Saturation is the displacement from the center

Value is the scale on the left of each color wheel.

Or I might be missing what you are asking altogether.  

I don't see a separate control for saturation in highlights. Only normal HSL controls, and 3 way color wheels. In Magic Bullet Looks they have ranged saturation which has a saturation slider for Highs/Mids/Lows. Only problem with that is that it lumps in the highs on a broad spectrum. I'd like to tweak that spectrum to include specular or super bright highlights only.

This is just an idea, I don't use Premiere so... It might be possible to desaturate to grayscale in rgb in 3 different gamma ranges, low, med and high.. then use those clips or however Premiere does it, as inputs for a HSL adjustment, adding one of these luma clips to "S". Might look strange though. You could also try applying saturation to rgb using a luma range clip as input to a saturation node, if such a thing exists. First option would require being able to convert color spaces in a single workflow. 

I don't see a separate control for saturation in highlights. Only normal HSL controls, and 3 way color wheels. 

yeah thats it. lumetri is a GREAT addition to premiere but it needs more options imo, like what youve mentioned and selective color and so on

speaking of which idk how into photoshop you are but if its something youre p familiar with making a quick lut w adjustment layers and bringing that into lumetri might help? works for me

Define the tonal ranges in a clip

The Luma Corrector, RGB Color Corrector, and Three-way Color Corrector effects let you define the tonal ranges for the shadows, midtones, and highlights so you can apply a color correction to a specific tonal range in an image. When used along with the Secondary Color Correction controls, defining a tonal range can help you apply adjustments to very specific elements in the image.

• Select the clip you want to correct in a Timeline panel and apply either the Luma Corrector, RGB Color Corrector, or Three-way Color Corrector effect.
  • In the Effect Controls panel, click the triangle to expand the Luma Corrector, RGB Color Corrector, or Three-way Color Corrector effect.
  • Click the triangle to expand the Tonal Range Definition control.

ap_14.png
    Tonal Range Definition control

A. Shadow threshold B. Shadow softness C. Highlight softness D. Highlight threshold 
  • Drag the Shadow Threshold and Highlight Threshold sliders to define the shadow and highlight tonal ranges.

It’s best if you make the adjustments while viewing the tritone Tonal Range display of the image.

• Drag the Shadow Softness and Highlight Softness sliders to feather (soften) the boundaries between the tonal ranges.

The amount of falloff depends on the image and how you want the color correction applied to it.

Note:

You can also define the tonal ranges by changing the numeric values or moving the sliders for the Shadow Threshold, Shadow Softness, Highlight Threshold, and Highlight Softness.

This doesn't do it?

Define the tonal ranges in a clip

The Luma Corrector, RGB Color Corrector, and Three-way Color Corrector effects let you define the tonal ranges for the shadows, midtones, and highlights so you can apply a color correction to a specific tonal range in an image. When used along with the Secondary Color Correction controls, defining a tonal range can help you apply adjustments to very specific elements in the image.

• Select the clip you want to correct in a Timeline panel and apply either the Luma Corrector, RGB Color Corrector, or Three-way Color Corrector effect.
  • In the Effect Controls panel, click the triangle to expand the Luma Corrector, RGB Color Corrector, or Three-way Color Corrector effect.
  • Click the triangle to expand the Tonal Range Definition control.

ap_14.png
    Tonal Range Definition control

A. Shadow threshold B. Shadow softness C. Highlight softness D. Highlight threshold 
  • Drag the Shadow Threshold and Highlight Threshold sliders to define the shadow and highlight tonal ranges.

It’s best if you make the adjustments while viewing the tritone Tonal Range display of the image.

• Drag the Shadow Softness and Highlight Softness sliders to feather (soften) the boundaries between the tonal ranges.

The amount of falloff depends on the image and how you want the color correction applied to it.

Note:

You can also define the tonal ranges by changing the numeric values or moving the sliders for the Shadow Threshold, Shadow Softness, Highlight Threshold, and Highlight Softness.

This doesn't do it?

That looks like a good option. I figured out another way to identify super highlights in colorista with a key. Shadows didn't work out. I'll try your method for shadows.