How to Edit to a Beat in Premiere Pro

Corey Machado

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

over time, you develop an ear for this sort of thing. as a trailer editor, it's pretty much mandatory to be a good music editor. rather than relying on some plugin, looking at the waveform can help you make a picture or audio cut (or cuts) to the beat/percussion/etc. personally, i don't need to place markers because the waveform is right there.

Well thank you. 
But this is not precise at all, and in most musics the beats is not clearly heard which makes it super hard to do. 

Is there not anything like a plugin that can analyse the track and automatically place markers?

I didn't watch Coreys tut, but I know one thing: You never cut precisely to the beat if you want the greatest emotional impact. You cut to the rhythm, and you do it intuitively. 

Don't believe me? Watch any good music video and tell me how many edits are precisely on the beat!

Is there not anything like a plugin that can analyse the track and automatically place markers?

Man, does EVERYTHING have to be some sort of damn algorithm these days?  This is the arts (supposedly).  Just do it for yourself.  If you can't find rhythm in an edit, I don't know how you're ever going to be a successful editor.

So say I, grumpy old man.  Now get off my lawn.

in most musics the beats is not clearly heard which makes it super hard to do. 

If you can't detect a beat (or rhythm) in a song, it probably means:

-The song is poorly written

OR

-The song is atmospheric,experimental,etc and shouldn't be edited to a beat

OR/AND

-You should practice more at detecting rhythm, as it's one of the most fundamental tools of editing

Simply just use a good pair of headphones with a visible audio waveform. ;)

Another tip for very precise editing is to move the playhead left and right around the beat. Through your headphone, the beat placement will be even clear as day. (usually a much heavier click or thud then the underlying audio). Stick a marker there for reference. 

Well thank you. 
But this is not precise at all, and in most musics the beats is not clearly heard which makes it super hard to do. 

yes there is, forgot its name however but I do remember seeing one

Man, does EVERYTHING have to be some sort of damn algorithm these days?  This is the arts (supposedly).  Just do it for yourself.  If you can't find rhythm in an edit, I don't know how you're ever going to be a successful editor.

So say I, grumpy old man.  Now get off my lawn.

I think it's newbie thing. I remember the first time I wanted to edit to music, I too went the marker route (and feeling quite proud for coming up with the thought!), only to quickly realize it was a bad idea. IMO even waveforms aren't always enough, I end up playing to feel (hear) the precise point.

I think it's newbie thing. 

Surely.  which is why I'm complaining about people leveraging technology like a grumpy old man.  (and I am a grumpy old man, trust me) 

Maybe people like Verna Fields were just as disappointed with the advance of things like the AVID in the 1990's?  I don't know, but when people are asking algorithm to do things so fundamental to the process it just rubs me the wrong way.

I mean, it's just music.  You listen to it, comprehend the structure, and use that to your advantage in your edit as you see fit.  It's subjective and some of the basics of the editing craft.  I mean, this seems so obvious it's hard to imagine even a newb brushing aside the simple process of listening to a track and instead wanting to find software to do the job; your job as an editor.

Do you really want to remove the human element from an (assumedly) artistic endeavor?  If your answer is 'yes' then have at it, I suppose.