Sony a6000 vs. Sony a7r for video

themillsmedia

I've been shooting on a Canon 7D for years. I'm considering an upgrade, and was wondering: which is better, the Sony a6000 or the Sony a7r?

I shoot a lot of run-and-gun, handheld footage (which is one reason I'm not asking about the Sony a7s...from what I've seen, the rolling shutter is just too harsh when the camera isn't locked down). How does the rolling shutter compare between the Sony a6000 and Sony a7r? And which one has the better video image quality overall? What about low light performance?

Also, the Sony a6000 is crop-sensor, right? Would I be able to use my Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM with it? I assume I would not be able to on the a7r, since it's full-frame.

Thanks!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I agree.  I've owned both an a7s and a7r and used an a6000 and by far the a6000 video performance outdoes the a7r.  tbh i found it pretty hard to tell between the a6000 and the a7s.  grab a speed booster ultra with the additional money and you got a killer setup.

I agree.  I've owned both an a7s and a7r and used an a6000 and by far the a6000 video performance outdoes the a7r.  tbh i found it pretty hard to tell between the a6000 and the a7s.  grab a speed booster ultra with the additional money and you got a killer setup.

Does the speedbooster, on an aps-c, add any other aesthetic to the image, other than FOV? Does it affect the bokeh or depth? I assume, since you aren't only using the center of the lens, that the original edge to edge sharpness, and other quirks, comes into play more when you use a speedbooster?

the high end speed boosters actually improve image quality to a degree.  for instance, very few full frame lenses can actually resolve the detail needed for the 24mpx aps-c sensor of the a6000 - and even less that will do it when you only use the centre of the image circle.  i suppose since the optical resolution hitting the sensor is better, you also gain a better separation of in and out of focus areas of the frame, and a more 3d look.  

also, yes the speed booster feeds the aps-c sensor with more optical information that would normally just be cropped away by the aps-c crop.  edge distortions etc.  that could be percived as either good or bad depending on whether you like distortion or not.   

a speed booster doesnt really effect depth of field, but simply widens fov and increases light transmission.  the ultra (0.71x) changes a 50mm f2.0 full frame lens into a 35mm f1.4 lens for aps-c.  a 35mm/1.4 has a similar dof to a 50mm f2.0. 

Awesome, this is super helpful. Does using an adapter to mount canon lenses (such as the 50mm f/1.4 or the 10-18mm f/4.5) negatively affect AF when shooting stills? I mostly do video, but I want stills to continue to be an option (without having to invest in new lenses, if possible).

Thanks, everyone!

EDIT: or is that what the speedbooster is for, returning AF to a higher-functioning level?

a genuine speed booster ultr will allow you to use AF lenses as you would on a canon camera.  it will be worth researching the Af speed but since the A6000 has phase detect AF i imagine things will be good!  and assuming the canon lens you use is a full frame lens you will get full sensor coverage.  if using an aps-c(EF-s) canon lens yu will need to use a non speed booster adaptor.  there are lots of cost effective Af units you can use for this, it doesnt need to be a metabones one for the EF-S lenses.  Also, the evf on the a6000 is superb nd makes manual focus a lot more fun since you can punch in and check focus.  

All right, last question (which may be a stupid one): as someone who only shoots video on the side these days, is it worth it for me to upgrade from my Canon 7D to the Sony a6000? How big a jump is the a6000 over the 7D in terms of video image quality (taking the Magic Lantern software available on the 7D into consideration)?

ML Raw on 7D is beautiful.  Better than most full hd cameras infact.  The file sizes and post production limit the use of ML raw to specific jobs, whereas the a6000 gives you over 2hrs on a 64gb card, and 2hours of very nice quality for a very low price..

the high end speed boosters actually improve image quality to a degree.  for instance, very few full frame lenses can actually resolve the detail needed for the 24mpx aps-c sensor of the a6000 - and even less that will do it when you only use the centre of the image circle.  i suppose since the optical resolution hitting the sensor is better, you also gain a better separation of in and out of focus areas of the frame, and a more 3d look.  

also, yes the speed booster feeds the aps-c sensor with more optical information that would normally just be cropped away by the aps-c crop.  edge distortions etc.  that could be percived as either good or bad depending on whether you like distortion or not.   

a speed booster doesnt really effect depth of field, but simply widens fov and increases light transmission.  the ultra (0.71x) changes a 50mm f2.0 full frame lens into a 35mm f1.4 lens for aps-c.  a 35mm/1.4 has a similar dof to a 50mm f2.0. 

Great info there, thanks. I was thinking about picking up one of those cheapo Roxsen ones, for my a5100, to see if I like the look before I shell out the big money for a Kipon or metabones. 

would you mind posting some samples of the a7r video?