New laptop

vaga

I am planning on buying a new laptop for general purpose use and for school. For me, pen ability and 6+ hour battery are musts, so the market narrows considerably. Also, I want to be able to edit (preferably in Resolve or Vegas) on this machine...

I'm very interested in 2 devices:

The HP Spectre x360. Broadwell i7-5500U, Intel 5500 integrated graphics, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 13.3 1920x1080 95 to 102% sRGB based on reviews with deltaE of 1.25 avg. Question is, will Resolve 12 or Vegas (13 is latest?) run for 4k? I'm not concerned with realtime playback in 4k, but will it be usable?

The VAIO Z Canvas.  Haswell Quad Core i7-4770HQ, Intel Iris Pro 5200, 8GB RAM, 512 GB PCIe SSD, 12" 3:2 (same size/dimensions as Surface Pro 3) 2560x1704 95% AdobeRGB (has gotten very good reviews and is supposed to be factory calibrated well. Same question: does anyone have experience with these programs on Iris GPU? 

Also, what do you guys think about Color Gamut? I know AdobeRGB is much closer to DCI and Rec.2020 than sRGB. Also, the VAIO screen is higher res.

Suggestions/thoughts are greatly appreciated!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Haha I saw that too, but it's too heavy for my needs and also no pen input

If some manufacturer adds thunderbolt 3 to their existing portable laptops, then we could connect external GPUs at PCIe x4 speeds and this dilemma would cease to exist

Haha I saw that too, but it's too heavy for my needs and also no pen input

If some manufacturer adds thunderbolt 3 to their existing portable laptops, then we could connect external GPUs at PCIe x4 speeds and this dilemma would cease to exist

The new lenovo P50/P70 do have an option for a digitizer. 

Also they are the only ones that have thunderbold 3. 

The P50 with the 6 cell battery claims 6 hours of use. 

As limitbreak mentioned forget any dual core for 4K editing. Also forget any computer without discrete GPU for the resolve. 

If you really need all these stuff then forget the all-in-one solution. Get a cheap tablet with a digitizer and a proper latop to do your heady-duty stuff like 4K editing. 

I would go for a Dell or Lenovo 15.6" workstation with a quadro GPU or top-tier AMD GPU for Open-CL.

Otherwise a nice gaming laptop from Sager would work well also.

I agree with Don that ultrabooks and tablets are going to struggle with 4K editing!

Check these options out. Sager/ Clevo are well made:

http://powernotebooks.com/Sager-Custom-Built-Gaming-Laptops-Notebooks-cat-26-179-78.html

This one is inexpensive and has an nVidia 970m graphics card which would really help with CUDA/ Open CL. You can get it with a 4K screen as well! 

It also has not one... but TWO fans to cool the graphics card! That is unheard of in a laptop...

http://powernotebooks.com/Sager-NP8651-Clevo-P650SE-gaming-laptops-notebooks-sys-7341.html

awesome  - the Lenovo p50 looks like the future of laptops - 5.6 lbs is heavy but damn that graphics card and CPU - seems to probably be as fast for Resolve as a MacPro!  I am seriously going to eye this one.  Comes out it seems quarter 4.  My mac pro is in the shop - was traveling with it - and it can't really handle the wear and tear of the road.

Been in the shop for over a month - 

yes all though they are heavy - the p50 has a cutting edge desktop CPU in it and a really nice GPU and yes thunderbolt 3 so you can put even more gfx in it if you need it as a home docking system

But still, need to see reviews when it comes out - make sure the thing doesn't overheat - and that all is good in resolve

I plan to buy and try it out for like 2 weeks - test side by side with my mac pro once the trashcan comes out of the shop if it ever will.

If Apple was still apple they would be updating their macbook pro and macpros soon, but I think right now as we all know - they are kind of over the whole laptop and desktop game - they aren't really serious about professionals anymore.

they care about the phone and tablets and watches - they are transitioning out of the professional artist market - and so be it - 

thought I think its good to cater to artists cause you make the computer have a cool factor and everyone likes to be cool like artists but damn windows 10 is stable - not constant updates, it works.  

as someone said "but what about the privacy issues" and really I'm sure apple has the same BS and everything you type and read and it's all gone our privacy so who cares.

curious though if there is a way to hackintosh the p50 - i doubt it though but then you have a super computer

• Super Members

@Mattias Burling what made you want to switch from the lenovo y50? Screen? Glitches? Bad battery life?

http://gizmodo.com/heres-the-box-that-can-turn-your-puny-laptop-into-a-gra-1724958260 Also, here's a prototype of a laptop with tb3 and external graphics. 

All of the above ;)

But it's no hurry, it's OK for now.

$1999 for P50 with those specs is unbelievable.

Well, just a heads up: The P50 has a starting price of $1599 and will get much more expensive when you select the highest CPU/RAM/Storage configuration. 

But at least that will be a professional grade computer and not an art piece that acts like a mirror, throttles every time you try to render a 2min video, cannot upgrade the storage past 1TB or limited to 16gb of ram.