Sneak peek at my new showreel & website!

Oliver Daniel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well that took a bloody long time! But I've just this minute completed my new reel and site. It's not "announced" until Monday.... social media campaigns etc blah blah. But it's live! Check them here: 

View my new showreel and website!

Some info

• Each and every image -  I shot, lit, edited, graded. A little directing. Very involved in creative ideas. 
  • Core crew was mostly 4-5 regular people in these productions (Director, DOP, Production Manager, Spark, Make Up Artist). 
  • For the geeks - cameras used are Sony F55, FS7, FS700, RED Epic, GH3, BM Pocket. 
  • All images are music videos, but going for commercial/corporate work aggressively into the next year. (and still many music videos). 
  • The aim is to have 100% new material for Showreel 2016. Max creativity required. 

Anyway, if you like it or don't like it, whatever. Just thought I'd share. :)

this looks OFFICIAL. ba ?

• Each and every image -  I shot, lit, edited, graded. A little directing. Very involved in creative ideas.

sicc. did work

• Core crew was mostly 4-5 regular people in these productions (Director, DOP, Production Manager, Spark, Make Up

awesome and inspiring to see you producing such nice stuff without 3 dozen ppl at the video village (im trynna keep some of the scenes in my first feature p bare bones). hell yeah. you must have a great team

• The aim is to have 100% new material for Showreel 2016. Max creativity required.

stone-cold-beer.gif

Many thanks to the positive comments :d

Many of the shots here are actually re-graded from the originals. Encouraging to see the rapid improvement but shocked to see what I thought looked good previously!!

The video you mentioned Aaron is "Davoodi - Party Life". I think another puppet video is on the cards soon! So much fun. :) 

The site likes fast internet connections. I'm in dialogue to speed up the response time on the server. It's Google integration (analytics and fonts) that slow it down. 

It's probably mainly the theme itself, nothing much you can do about that, depends on how it's coded. The ajax-heavy stuff is oftentimes problematic.

It's probably mainly the theme itself, nothing much you can do about that, depends on how it's coded. The ajax-heavy stuff is oftentimes problematic.

Everything on the site is very low in data - I just need to look at why Google integration is slowing it down. It's not an issue on fast, reliable connections. At my studio its fine, but in a coffee shop it's a bit slow. 

When I opened it I saw only the "Contact - Email or Call us Here" at the bottom right, and a spinning icon.  I clicked on it.  Nothing.  Eventually the site loaded.  I'm in the U.S./East Coast.  Even though your clients may not live here, they may look at your site while visiting the U.S. on other work.  So, you really need NO EXCUSE quick load anywhere.  

The site is stunning and impressive.  I find it a bit too needy.  To many "Contact us here..." buttons.  Even the first one of the bottom right, I'd take it out.  Why?

Corporate/commercial clients do not look for "Unique. Stylish. Cinematic", they look for "Current. Targeted.  Distribution Friendly."  Don't call them, they'll call you ;)

For music videos, the more creativity the better.  They are musicians, not filmmakers, so whatever you can do to keep a viewer interested long enough to listen to the whole song is ALL that matters.  You'd think that would be the same goal for a corporate video, but it isn't.

Established companies must balance keeping their existing customers (brand/perception) focused/stable/reliable while doing just enough new stuff to look fresh.  There will be factions within every corporation that want you to just do what's been done a million times before and which they believe pays the bills (and keep in mind will pay YOUR meaty invoice).  There will be factions that want to try something new, or go in a different directions.  Balancing those competing needs will be the difference between success and failure.  Both factions have to sign-off on using your company.  Right now, your site speaks only to those factions wanting to do cool stuff.  It will turn off the other factions.  

Getting back to musicians.  Most of your clients have little to lose.  Every song they swing for the fences.  If they strike-out, they just try again.  Corporations have people who pay the mortgage, feed their families, every day, based on current clients.  They FEAR failure, of losing their existing business.  You HAVE TO WORK with these people and if they get a whiff that you're going to be a prima donna artist they'll sabotage your getting the work, or working with them again.  In short, all commercial work (though I work in a different field) is about getting along with others.  Naturally, everyone has their "thing" that bugs people, but only one bugbear per person!

SO... I suggest you make a separate site/business, called Vindeo Ink Corporate, or something like that, where you DON' T SCARE THE F'ING SHIT OUT OF THEM :)

Put up only your commercial videos.  Put up all you experience, put up testimonials, put up language that says you can work in anyone's f'd up company without throwing a hissy fit.  Just like Hollywood, they want something new, bold, daring, but with the exact same story as whatever movie came out last month and made $500 million!

Don't take my word for it.  Talk the customers you want, PEOPLE who would actually hire your services.  They'll be closet filmmakers like you and would love to have drinks after work.  Again, these are people with boring jobs at large advertising/media companies (you actually want to talk to c-level people because they know what gets bought and why.  The higher-ups talk bullshit.).  Let them help you fine-tune your site to get the consensus you need to get projects.  (Warning, you're not going to like these corporate cogs--a long story why, but you need them).

The other way to do this is to make a blockbuster film and become a celebrity filmmaker ;)

Lastly, you know I think the world of your work Oliver.  You've got the creative/talent thing down!

When I opened it I saw only the "Contact - Email or Call us Here" at the bottom right, and a spinning icon.  I clicked on it.  Nothing.  Eventually the site loaded.  I'm in the U.S./East Coast.  Even though your clients may not live here, they may look at your site while visiting the U.S. on other work.  So, you really need NO EXCUSE quick load anywhere.  

The site is stunning and impressive.  I find it a bit too needy.  To many "Contact us here..." buttons.  Even the first one of the bottom right, I'd take it out.  Why?

Corporate/commercial clients do not look for "Unique. Stylish. Cinematic", they look for "Current. Targeted.  Distribution Friendly."  Don't call them, they'll call you ;)

For music videos, the more creativity the better.  They are musicians, not filmmakers, so whatever you can do to keep a viewer interested long enough to listen to the whole song is ALL that matters.  You'd think that would be the same goal for a corporate video, but it isn't.

Established companies must balance keeping their existing customers (brand/perception) focused/stable/reliable while doing just enough new stuff to look fresh.  There will be factions within every corporation that want you to just do what's been done a million times before and which they believe pays the bills (and keep in mind will pay YOUR meaty invoice).  There will be factions that want to try something new, or go in a different directions.  Balancing those competing needs will be the difference between success and failure.  Both factions have to sign-off on using your company.  Right now, your site speaks only to those factions wanting to do cool stuff.  It will turn off the other factions.  

Getting back to musicians.  Most of your clients have little to lose.  Every song they swing for the fences.  If they strike-out, they just try again.  Corporations have people who pay the mortgage, feed their families, every day, based on current clients.  They FEAR failure, of losing their existing business.  You HAVE TO WORK with these people and if they get a whiff that you're going to be a prima donna artist they'll sabotage your getting the work, or working with them again.  In short, all commercial work (though I work in a different field) is about getting along with others.  Naturally, everyone has their "thing" that bugs people, but only one bugbear per person!

SO... I suggest you make a separate site/business, called Vindeo Ink Corporate, or something like that, where you DON' T SCARE THE F'ING SHIT OUT OF THEM :)

Put up only your commercial videos.  Put up all you experience, put up testimonials, put up language that says you can work in anyone's f'd up company without throwing a hissy fit.  Just like Hollywood, they want something new, bold, daring, but with the exact same story as whatever movie came out last month and made $500 million!

Don't take my word for it.  Talk the customers you want, PEOPLE who would actually hire your services.  They'll be closet filmmakers like you and would love to have drinks after work.  Again, these are people with boring jobs at large advertising/media companies (you actually want to talk to c-level people because they know what gets bought and why.  The higher-ups talk bullshit.).  Let them help you fine-tune your site to get the consensus you need to get projects.  (Warning, you're not going to like these corporate cogs--a long story why, but you need them).

The other way to do this is to make a blockbuster film and become a celebrity filmmaker ;)

Lastly, you know I think the world of your work Oliver.  You've got the creative/talent thing down!

Thanks very much for all the feedback. It's much appreciated like all constructive criticism. 

With the site loading, it's being looked into. The "contact" heavy interface is based on a current call-to-action one-page high content trend (make sense?), the generation of the scroller. A lot of it is experimentation - and the site will be amended accordingly with data collected from certain behaviours (such as the Pop up contact box and clicks on buttons). 

As most of my clients are musicians/agencies/labels - the site still has to be branded to favour them as that's where the chunk of our content is. The next step is direct contact with creative agencies where we illustrate where we are now (this site) with what we are offering as commercial/corporate video makers (with examples, PR and such). This is to drill up projects in this area internally and adjust our public image appropriately over time. 

A big amount of feedback we have received is the true lack of style with substance for commercial/corporate in my local area - apparently it's very hard to find, and that's our USP. 

Recently we had a sportswear client who came to us because they didn't want a boring, done-it-all-before video. They wanted our locations, visual style and modern-natured thinking while still being corporate (Kukri Sports - Together Stronger). 

Everyone involved understands we are probably too outlandish, energetic and not boring enough for bread and butter "give me all your money" corporate work, and this is a factor we are considering away from the "Video Ink" brand. So much in fact we have employed someone to develop it. We understand the money is good to keep things very secure and successful. Even a subtle taste of our style in this area might work wonders. We will see. 

On the other hand, there are unconfirmed big things in motion which, if they happen, will completely change everything. But at this moment in time, we just get on with it and prioritise our majority client base :) 

A big amount of feedback we have received is the true lack of style with substance for commercial/corporate in my local area - apparently it's very hard to find, and that's our USP. 

Recently we had a sportswear client who came to us because they didn't want a boring, done-it-all-before video. They wanted our locations, visual style and modern-natured thinking while still being corporate (Kukri Sports - Together Stronger). 

I agree.  Let me try again.  Every client SAYS they want "style with substance".   I'm certainly not suggesting you try to look boring/corporate ;)  However, successful marketing is not about giving people what they say they want, but what they really want.  Let's say you want to land Virgin.  Do you believe Branson personally hires the video production company?  He doesn't have time and, like all good CEOs, he delegates.  So Virgin selection 20 video companies to come in and pitch, where are slowly whittled down from 20, to 7, to 3 to 1.  Who gets hired?  Let's say you make it to the final 3.  Branson wants 'A', but both marketing AND PR doesn't.  Marketing wants 'B', PR doesn't.  PR wants 'C' which Marketing doesn't want.  Who gets hired?  This is what I'd like you and your partners to think very deeply about.

I'll tell you my opinion when you tell me who you think wins. (this is just a thought experiment with no real answer).  Hint, when you guys hire a new PA, how is that person generally picked?

Except for the "contact us" button it wouldn't load for me but I have NoScript enabled so that happens with some sites. I kept clicking on "Temporarily Allow All Scripts this Page" and the page would reload and then more shit would come up that I'd have to allow. So I eventually just gave up. No script can be a pain in the ass that way. You don't have a link to the video on YouTube do you? I'm sure it's impressive. You're a talented guy.

I agree.  Let me try again.  Every client SAYS they want "style with substance".   I'm certainly not suggesting you try to look boring/corporate ;)  However, successful marketing is not about giving people what they say they want, but what they really want.  Let's say you want to land Virgin.  Do you believe Branson personally hires the video production company?  He doesn't have time and, like all good CEOs, he delegates.  So Virgin selection 20 video companies to come in and pitch, where are slowly whittled down from 20, to 7, to 3 to 1.  Who gets hired?  Let's say you make it to the final 3.  Branson wants 'A', but both marketing AND PR doesn't.  Marketing wants 'B', PR doesn't.  PR wants 'C' which Marketing doesn't want.  Who gets hired?  This is what I'd like you and your partners to think very deeply about.

I'll tell you my opinion when you tell me who you think wins. (this is just a thought experiment with no real answer).  Hint, when you guys hire a new PA, how is that person generally picked?

Been in this situation quite a few times. Generally it's not going to be Branson who decides. ;) 

Except for the "contact us" button it wouldn't load for me but I have NoScript enabled so that happens with some sites. I kept clicking on "Temporarily Allow All Scripts this Page" and the page would reload and then more shit would come up that I'd have to allow. So I eventually just gave up. No script can be a pain in the ass that way. You don't have a link to the video on YouTube do you? I'm sure it's impressive. You're a talented guy.

Thanks.

As said, the whole thing is going through tests. We'll work it out. Currently it's inly accessible on the site through Vimeo until tomorrow. 

Great job

One of Manchester's finest

Thanks Andrew - "one of Manchesters finest"... That's quite a statement! I'll just keep going and hope more people enjoy my work. :) 

Yes, I agree, probably not Branson.  Often, the provider selected is not the provider someone feels the strongest about, but the provider who doesn't elicit a strong 'no' from someone.  If I was on the selection committee looking at your site for a corporate video I might say, "these guys look very talented but I don't see any indication they can get along with normal people.  I don't think they're going to want to do our work.  I don't think their hearts will be in it.  Again, I think they're great, but we'd just be too boring for them.  I know the firm we currently use has _____ problems, but at least we know they want our work."

In short, I have to question: "As most of my clients are musicians/agencies/labels - the site still has to be branded to favour them as that's where the chunk of our content is. "  Do you mean favor them because that's the content you have, OR content you want to produce?  If both are true, forget everything I say!  If you're going have a different client, don't kid yourself, you can't be all things to all people.  

Again, it doesn't matter how much you might impress someone at a prospective client, if the other people are against you, for whatever reason, they will overpower your champion.  We all like to look down on the un-talented bozo who gets well-paying corporate work, but the fact is, they're usually good politicians and that is a lot of what the work is about.  You have the talent in spades.  The only question is if you want to "play the game" for the money honey ;)