NX500 Flat Profile Grade

mercer

This is a second attempt at grading the flat profile in the NX500 - Custom Profile - Saturation -8, Sharpness -10, Contrast -8. It was shot with the Canon FD 28mm f/2 at ISO 100 with a fader ND filter. I graded it with Color Finale using the Kodak to Rec709 LUT as the grade base.

Any pointers or tips would be greatly appreciated.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Someone please help him out. All these videos are making this camera look bad, surely it isn't this bad? Everything just seems wrong. Not filmic, not realistic, not attractive. But you can tell the range and quality is there, the focus through the trees is cool. Green leaves aren't that color, nowhere near either color.

I am really tempted despite this- wonder if the new NX1 product from Andrew is usable and/or relevant for this camera or whether my foggy memory serves me correct in saying there isn't enough control options? I think I read no gamma control somewhere? 

Are you over exposing and then adding a lut instead of actually manipulating the three colors yourself And underexposing? I may of read somewhere that killing the saturation for the nx500 more than five is bad. I am not sure if I am stating the obvious or you are doing something over my head, please excuse me if it is the latter.

Hey, thanks for the constructive criticism. As I said since the beginning, this camera is more camera than I am used to with little information floating around regarding settings.

After trying nearly every setting with this camera, and never being really pleased with the results, I decided to try a really flat image and grade it, something I've never done before. 

The first shot is not great... At all... but I think the two, through the tree shots came out okay, especially the close up focus of the pine branches.

I'm not sure where you live, but we have plenty of trees that are those colors of greens near me. 

I apologize if I'm being too defensive, I came to this site to learn, so any useful knowledge you have is much appreciated. 

I didn't intend to overexpose the shot... I'm not sure you can tell, but the big pine trees are a dark green with grayish pine trees in front of the cabin which is a mix of dark wood and weathered wood, that is almost white. With the cloudy, grayish white skies I tried my best to keep some shadow detail. 

Thanks again...

It shouldn't say Filmmaker/DP under my name, I am a newbie. So take anything I say with a pinch of salt. My gut is telling me you are trying too hard, but for all the right reasons. I imagine this is meant to be a consumer only camera and you are (admirably) trying to get extra out of it. The greens look radioactive to me. I am in the UK and travel a lot.

Most people nowadays (including me) use nifty tools like filmconvert or LUTs in combination with tried and tested camera settings, so no worries. Download the filmconvert trial (stand alone or Premiere plug in, if you have access to that), download the different camera settings files (Arri often times gives nice results) and have a go with it, you'll see where the proclaimed "magic" comes from most of the time. There's only few people around who can grade properly without advanced tools and plugins, so don't get frustrated. It's all about money and the right workflows nowadays.

• Administrators

There's no GammaDR on the NX500 unfortunately so the blacks crush more easily.

But I just tried the NX1 LOG profile with my NX500 and it did work pretty well.

Might tweak it and do a NX500 guide in future if I can get nice results out of it.

A few weeks ago I shot an NX1 vs NX500 comparison but not got round to editing it yet.

The NX500 is still amazing bang for buck.

By the way you shouldn't dial down the contrast to -8 or -10 in-camera, it kills colour.

Might tweak it and do a NX500 guide in future if I can get nice results out of it.

A few weeks ago I shot an NX1 vs NX500 comparison but not got round to editing it yet.

By the way you shouldn't dial down the contrast to -8 or -10 in-camera, it kills colour.

Thanks, Andrew. I appreciate the tip. 

Since there are a lot of incremental settings in this camera, I thought I would try and get a really flat image, use a LUT and try some things in post. 

• Administrators

Thanks, Andrew. I appreciate the tip. 

Since there are a lot of incremental settings in this camera, I thought I would try and get a really flat image, use a LUT and try some things in post. 

What are you using to convert from H.265 by the way?

Some apps crush the blacks even further.

What are you using to convert from H.265 by the way?

Some apps crush the blacks even further.

I'm using EditReady, and converting it to 1080p. I tend to like a high contrast look, so I was lowering the gamma and darkening the curves in color finale... So it is very possible it is my grade. That clip was literally the first time I have ever attempted to truly grade footage. 

• 5 months later...

Hi Andrew, have you already can make more experience with the NX500?
I bought your NX1 guide with the LUT included in the hope it will work on my NX500.
In my 1st test it seems to work. Do you have a tip for me that helps not crushing the blacks?
Maybe lowering the contrast...?
Thanks for help!