New EOSHD setup guide gives Samsung NX1 LOG capability and more

Andrew Reid

Hi,

One of the "issues" with the NX1 is time to convert HEVC. So using a LUT will speed up, thanks for helping the community with this. But I was thinking differently: can we get a setting out of the box, straight from camera and still have a cinematic look?

Here are my settings:

Settings:
Gamma DR
Saturation -2
Sharpness -5
Contrast +5     yes, it is really plus 5
Hue 0
Hand held

HEVC convert with ffmpeg script:

echo start > ff.log

date >> ff.log

for F in *.MP4

do

OUT=`echo $F | sed s/MP4/mov/ `

ffmpeg -i $F -c:v prores_ks  -strict -2 $OUT

done

echo end >> ff.log

date >> ff.log

Straight from camera, no color grading, only stabilized in FCPx

Cheers,

Jorgen :-)

These look absolutely gorgeous ! Will have to try out these settings !

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Just graded (quick 1 minute grade) a clip of my last wedding (first job with the NX1), without this LOG, will later use the log to grade and see how it differs.

Im still pretty noob at grading, still trying to learn how to grade with LUTs, curves and all that, but this camera..its just amazing what comes out of it...trully something incredible. This was shot with the Canon f1.8 at f1.8. The colors are still a bit off, skin looks a bit greyish and what not.

LJjz3Lg.jpg

The encoding I tested was HEVC -> ProRes 422HQ

In the program I had to select ProRes 4k in order to be able to apply the LUT, I tested it both with 1080p100 and 2160p25 and it applied the LUT fine, some of my older 1080p25 overcranked footage before the increasing bitrate firmware came I see extreme banding in the sky but that might also just be me tweaking the settings to give me a flat profile with this ¤/!%#@( 8bit codec.

The 1080p100 footage wont convert in ProRes 4k mode, I assumed its because ProRes does not support 100 fps or the program is simply incapable of it, though it will slow the footage down for you.

DNxHD does not have the LUT option available its greyed out for some reasons, MXF is useless it gets wrapper problems, the MPEG Intra are 8bit only also useless, the TIFF 48bit mode worked fine for me as well with the LUT so did H264 export. 

As for 25fps render for a 25p project file which was for ProRes, my computer is quite beefy so it tends to spit out 10 minute HEVC files in RockyMountains Converter in 2 minutes to ProRes

10 minutes HEVC clip to ProRes in 2 minutes ? Computer specs please

Sunnyday in a Swiss Garden NX 1, 16-50mm S, 1.4 Firmware. OSS & DIS, ND Filter

Could be much slower movement with the new big Gimbal. Last clips DIS only MF Meyer Görlitz Primoplan 1.9 58 mm from 1960 a creamy buttery Bokeh...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cgpaemplziyz9lf/Samsung%20Garten.m4v?dl=0

No grading. Part with Gamma C, some  DR Settings from Andrew Reid's Setup Guide.

UHD 25p FCPX  1080 50p,  Conversion Edit Ready

Some are Over exposed and some with 1/3 under

http://www.eoshd.com/2015/08/new-eoshd-setup-guide-gives-samsung-nx1-log-capability-and-more/

Filmed by my friend Cameramen/Producer/Regisseur. His house is in a medow with a view to mount Pliatus gorgeous!

Together we made some Cinema Documentrys all over the world. The next one is about 4 Caregiver's supporting dying people.

• 2 weeks later...

10 minutes HEVC clip to ProRes in 2 minutes ? Computer specs please

System Specs:

Clevo P150EM

Intel Core i7-3940XM

AMD Radeon M295X

16GB of DDR3L 1600Mhz ram runs at 1333Mhz

Crucial M500 960GB SSD + Crucial 512GB mSSD + 2TB Samsung HDD

That is RockyMountains Converter, ClipToolz v2 is usually a lot slower for God knows why, Adobe Media Encoder CC 2015 is also quite fast taking in the ProRes files and converting them to DNxHD444 in fact its almost faster than RockyMountains when I do 100 or 120fps LUT converting because I work with some people that uses FCPX and it does not like DNxHD and because ClipToolz does not like 100fps nor 120fps files I gotta convert it to ProResHQ (RockeyMountains) --> DNxHD444 with LOG (Media Encoder) --> ProResLT (RockeyMountains)

hello

I'm delighted with your guide thank you very much for it.

I wanted to ask what Deluts pack recommended for Nx1?

and wath Samsung lens are best for video 45mm or 35mm?

Best lenses for Samsung camera regarding video is obviously the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower lenses which are cheap ultra-fast cine lenses with great value for what you get.

Check this out for best deals on them: https://***URL not allowed***/the-best-samyang-rokinon-bower-cine-lens-deals-updated-sep-18th/

Remember that not all of them are APS-C size so you gotta apply crop factor on some of them since they are full-frame (Crop factor for NX1 is x1.53)

If you just want an all around cheap and good Samsung lens for video I recommend the Samsung Compact 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS Zoom Lens its good value for money and it covers most of the zoom ranges you would need in video. 

If you need extra wide I recommend the Samsung Compact 12-24mm f/4-5.6 ED and of course if you got cash to burn get the Samsung 16-50mm f/2-2.8 OIS S lens. 

I do not really recommend neither the 45mm nor the 35mm because no one will notice the picture difference from them to the 12-24mm or the 18-55mm when it comes to video, these lenses are designed for high megapixel usage with Samsung cameras and the max you will use these for videos are generally 1080p and 2160p so the distortion is minimal.

Best lenses for Samsung camera regarding video is obviously the Samyang/Rokinon/Bower lenses which are cheap ultra-fast cine lenses with great value for what you get.

Check this out for best deals on them: https://***URL not allowed***/the-best-samyang-rokinon-bower-cine-lens-deals-updated-sep-18th/

Remember that not all of them are APS-C size so you gotta apply crop factor on some of them since they are full-frame (Crop factor for NX1 is x1.53)

If you just want an all around cheap and good Samsung lens for video I recommend the Samsung Compact 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 OIS Zoom Lens its good value for money and it covers most of the zoom ranges you would need in video. 

If you need extra wide I recommend the Samsung Compact 12-24mm f/4-5.6 ED and of course if you got cash to burn get the Samsung 16-50mm f/2-2.8 OIS S lens. 

I do not really recommend neither the 45mm nor the 35mm because no one will notice the picture difference from them to the 12-24mm or the 18-55mm when it comes to video, these lenses are designed for high megapixel usage with Samsung cameras and the max you will use these for videos are generally 1080p and 2160p so the distortion is minimal.

thank you very much, I think we will try to find a Samyang 35mm or 24mm

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

is it worth investing in Samsung glass ? I'm a little worried about being locked into the system but I feel like this camera will perform best with a lens set optimized for the nx mount such as the one made by Samsung

I'd love to get the 16-50S lens, it really seems like an amazing piece of glass, but I cant see myself paying 1k€ for that lens, considering it would be hard to resell. I bought the 30mm f2 for 150€ and im really happy with it, so happy im selling my Samyang 24mm f1.4, since I rarely use it anymore.