Canon mirrorless to feature APS-C sensor according to sources

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/canon-mirrorless-af-d.jpg[/img]

So far there's been a lot of speculation about the Canon mirrorless camera, which is due this month, having the same sensor as the G1X. This would be pretty disappointing as the sensor in that camera is based on 3 year old technology with a slow readout so the video mode was rather poor.

Now the word on the street according to [url="http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/getting-closer-to-the-canon-event-aps-c-mirrorless-with-new-mount/"]Mirrorless Rumors[/url] is that Canon are (sensibly in my view!) opting for an APS-C sized sensor in the new camera, making it a better match to their EFS lenses which can be used via an adapter. The mount could also form the basis for a lower end pro video offering as APS-C is approximately Super 35mm sized in the film world.

In my view it makes no sense to have a Four Thirds sized sensor in the Canon mirrorless because it will change the field of view of Canon's EFS lenses.

I know the big attraction of using a Canon mirrorless is to still have that option of so much existing EFS glass. Canon't won't compromise that.

The challenge with the APS-C sized sensor is similar to the one Sony faces with E-Mount on the NEX mirrorless system - making small lenses for it.

Now Sony's consumer mirrorless mount also made its way onto their pro video cameras like the FS100 and FS700 so it would be a smart move for Canon to do a mirrorless lens mount supporting a Super 35mm sized sensor, which is similar to APS-C. Panasonic's mistake was to base their AF100 around a Micro Four Thirds lens mount, so that the lenses and sensor were not cinema standard in terms of field of view. When a DP uses a PL mount lens on a AF100 they cannot think in terms of standard Super 35mm focal lengths.

I think if Canon push out a high end mirrorless system it could shoot great video, like the GH2. Anything less will be a disappointment, and a system based around a G1X with interchangeable lenses will be a Nikon 1 series like disaster.

I'm currently using the Sony RX100 and that is effectively a replacement for several important rival cameras - the Canon G1X, S100, Fuji X10, Nikon J1, V1 and even Sony's own lower end NEX mirrorless cameras for certain people. Video on it is very good too. Review soon!

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/8494/canon-mirrorless-to-feature-aps-c-sensor-according-to-sources"]Read the full story here[/url]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
I would like to see two mirrorless formats from Canon: a 4/3-like mount and a full-frame. Especially the latter!

I believe that the APS-C mount was originally conceived out necessity. Cost and lack of processing power being the major catalysts—look at what's happened to Canon's APS-H format.

Today, both cost and processing power play less of a role and the onslaught of cheap full-frame systems is just around the corner. For this reason, I see APS-C loosing relevancy in the marketplace.

I don't mind supporting two mounts—m4/3 and full-frame; APS-C may get caught between a rock and a hard place.

Unfortunately Canon and Nikon have not developed many prime lenses specifically for their APS-C mounts. At least the FF primes that most own can be used with FF bodies so there is no investment loss (making the switch easier).

I wonder if we see any further updates to APS-C mount primes from Nikon and Canon with cheaper FF and mirrorless increasing sales.

• Administrators
It depends where Canon are positioning it. Above Rebel or below it? For me it would be frustrating to see a mirrorless below it in the range, because as we all realise - the mirrorless technology is the future and only the higher end products do it justice. It is bad for future technology like electronic shutter, EVF, etc. to not push this in a high end flagship. Canon will need this stuff for a full frame model eventually and they will be behind because they didn't see the value in pushing it, only the value of doing a "me-to" El Cheapo mirrorless camera for their girlfriends.

I am 99% sure that it will be a 650d with an EVF and slimmer body. If Canon had a new sensor, they would have already put it in the 650, otherwise they would have a product in their own lineup that would compete with their dslrs. Also the pancake lens is probably a sign of an ef-s mount, i think they developed this so that they have at least something to put on the mirrorless.

the lovely black and white photograph above is actually a ricoh GXR body with a canon lens perched on it,

ricoh gxr is the pinnicle of mirrorless at the moment offering at least 5 different sensors in three different sizes up to and including 3 different aps c ones ...... and the only other M mount digital solution in the world at the moment besides leicas.

ricohs interface and features are ones real shooters care about and their logical thoughtul controls are the best making canon and nikon mnchine seem rube goldberg contraptions by comparison.

should the canon mirrorless be anything like the unacknowledged ricoh gxr body above it will be excellent of that i am sure. one can dream

• Administrators
I want Rioch to succeed and I'm glad you seem quite taken with the little GXR. However there are more M mount digital solutions if you count the E-mount with adapter, Micro Four Thirds with adapter and even the Fuji X Pro 1.

[quote name='EOSHD' timestamp='1342406131' post='13937']
I want Rioch to succeed and I'm glad you seem quite taken with the little GXR. However there are more M mount digital solutions if you count the E-mount with adapter, Micro Four Thirds with adapter and even the Fuji X Pro 1.
[/quote]

as a user of m43 and much adapted glass i m aware of adapter solutions the gxr m mount is quite different... rather than retasking a sensor to use olderglass, it is designed from the sensor level up with in camera lens corrections and other m specific details as an m mount digital camera WITHOUT AN ADAPTER IN SITE , quite different from the offering of the nex system or the omdem5 epx or panny m43.... i own the gxr if you havn't guessed and am indeed quite taken .....and the gxr gets taken everywhere i go .....sean reid has a great review i reccomend highly

.....btw i love reading the eoshd site great info consistently interestingly written ....always enjoyable... thanks, keep up the good work

ALSO i was happy to see the gh2 make such an impressive showing