A7Rii Overheating Problem Solved

DBounce

I recently watched a video in which the reviewer claimed that there is a quick and easy fix for the Sony A7Rii and RX10ii overheat problems. He claimed all that need be done is to position the display so that it is away from the camera. He said by doing this he was able to record over an hour no problem. 

I'm sure many here would be interested if this claim can be confirmed. Can someone with an A7Rii perform a test and report their findings here?

Claim is at 00:19:30

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Supposedly, that is the case with the a5100 as well, when shooting with the xavc-s codec. I don't record long takes, so mine has never overheated, but once I heard that was a solution to the potential issue, I just open the LCD screen anyway. But that overheating is still a major design flaw with Sony products.

It might help but it cannot be "the solution" unless Sony designed the back as a heatsink. 

This heat problem is not making the camera useless for most non-professionals but at least for me there are two issues that will keep me from getting before extensive user reports:

1. How sensitive is actually the camera in warm weather. For example if I were to take a long hike under the sun, what the time limit would be then? 

2. Sensor longevity. Heat can damage the sensor and hot pixels will start popping out. Cinema5D has already a hot pixel in their footage and even in long exposures of still pictures it is a problem as shown in several dpreview threads. Unless Sony provides a remapping feature I expect within a year to become a serious issue for video capture. 

It might really not be a problem but I am not going to shell out $3200 before I know I can have a camera that will keep working as expected. 

Not perfect, but actually good news here:

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?339161-Newsshooter-Sony-A7RII-overheats-and-shutdown-after-recording-4K-for-a-while&p=1986567078&viewfull=1#post1986567078

"Follow up
And I apologize if I posted this already I've been very busy. I tested this again multiple times last night but instead of triggering recording on the camera I triggered recording on the shogun. And the result was that I could record continuously until one of the batteries ran out, usually the cameras, sometimes the shoguns. At most I got about an hour and a half with no overhear warnings; when it shut down is because the battery was exhausted ( as per the message on the screen). I did not test on external power. If I triggered the recording in the camera, making sure that internal recording was off, it would overheat in 30 minutes. I don't know what's going on here and have passed my thoughts to Atomos. My theory is that processing is kicking in when you click record even though it's not dumping to the card but if you just let it roll without hitting the record button on the camera you get the output right from the sensor. I tested the same theory with the RX 100 Mark four. I got the same result. That camera records for less than five minutes before overheating if you record it on camera but if you just roll from The HDMI you can get an hour out of it before the battery dies. Again, with no overheating. Weird."

That is very interesting. Still not perfect but at least it seams to be oNE solution (not for me though cause I hate external recorders). I wonder what processing is being done and if it affects the output quality. 

Another interesting thing that I found out is that Sony does have an automatic remapping method that runs every month or so. So you can set the date few months ahead to have the remapping and then back. I don't know how it helps in video but in stillsas shown in dpreview it does the job.

• Administrators

If the mainboard and main CPU backs straight onto the rear (likely) then it is indeed the heatsink being covered by the LCD.

Also I notice when 4K is enabled, you can't enable Sunny Weather mode which makes the LCD backlight go crazy bright, thus generating more heat. It gets greyed out in the menus.

Worth testing this I reckon...

----

How often do you record continuous takes one after the other of 30 min+

Live events and interviews... that is about it.

For everything else including the long hikes in the sun, you should be less worried than you guys seem...

If the mainboard and main CPU backs straight onto the rear (likely) then it is indeed the heatsink being covered by the LCD.

Also I notice when 4K is enabled, you can't enable Sunny Weather mode which makes the LCD backlight go crazy bright, thus generating more heat. It gets greyed out in the menus.

Worth testing this I reckon...

Can you test it next time please :)

----

How often do you record continuous takes one after the other of 30 min+

Live events and interviews... that is about it.

For everything else including the long hikes in the sun, you should be less worried than you guys seem...

Here in Texas things can get hot..

Sony made it hard for us to find something to complain about so everybody is focused on this now :)

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Texas? you guys should come here :d 

Anyhow, It's not about being able to record more than 30 minutes contiuously, it's about the camera overheating when recording for long times. For example, if I record 10 mins, then just after that 10, then after that 15, then 5, then 17, then 3, then 20, then 5, then 23, you now, like we shoot during a day shoot, the camera wouldn't handle it unless it's given time to heal and sleep well. And you have another variable which is temperature which makes it completely unpredictable where the camera will die on you, making it practically unusable for client work, or even personal work if you personally don't tolerate having your camera needing a shower and a cold soda before shooting the next shot. 

So it's not just about long continuous recording for interviews/docs/news (which is a very important aspect too) but also about unreliability and unpredictable behavior. Everybody is getting a different number on when it overheated. Quite horrid. 

I wonder if I took it out for a day shoot here at noon like I took my D7100 yesterday, shooting for 6 hours (not continuously) under 51 degrees (123°F). The Nikon didn't even sweat. Neither did my partners 600D and 70D. I wouldn't expect the GH4 and even Sony's own smaller A7s to be different too from my experience, they are solid recorders and don't heat or give up. 

Texas? you guys should come here :d 

Anyhow, It's not about being able to record more than 30 minutes contiuously, it's about the camera overheating when recording for long times. For example, if I record 10 mins, then just after that 10, then after that 15, then 5, then 17, then 3, then 20, then 5, then 23, you now, like we shoot during a day shoot, the camera wouldn't handle it unless it's given time to heal and sleep well. And you have another variable which is temperature which makes it completely unpredictable where the camera will die on you, making it practically unusable for client work, or even personal work if you personally don't tolerate having your camera needing a shower and a cold soda before shooting the next shot. 

So it's not just about long continuous recording for interviews/docs/news (which is a very important aspect too) but also about unreliability and unpredictable behavior. Everybody is getting a different number on when it overheated. Quite horrid. 

I wonder if I took it out for a day shoot here at noon like I took my D7100 yesterday, shooting for 6 hours (not continuously) under 51 degrees (123°F). The Nikon didn't even sweat. Neither did my partners 600D and 70D. I wouldn't expect the GH4 and even Sony's own smaller A7s to be different too from my experience, they are solid recorders and don't heat or give up. 

I totally agree. No one is looking to find fault in the new camera just for the fun of it. It shuts off that's a problem....... I mean how can you justify that, by your shooting habits? Sorry but regardless of your shooting intervals we have enough to worry about when working who needs a camera that shuts off.  

When it gets Texas hot ... 106F at 5PM today I shut down long before any camera will.

Bob

I get your point Bob. But tell me, were you to buy to this camera wouldn't you be worried the slightest?

Its true, I don't usually do many things under 105F, but wouldn't be better to have a camera if I wanted to actually do it? I like to have equipment that gets out of the way of what I want to do, and not constantly thinking about when it will overheat.

Sony is not a company like Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, BM, etc that will address any problems with a firmware update, but instead they will come with a new model next year. Its great that we have a company that pushes the boundaries of what is possible but at the same time we as consumers have to be aware of the negatives that come along.

Don't get me wrong A7rII looks like a great camera, but since I shoot primarily video now I am better off waiting to see what A7sII will bring to the table for most probably the same amount of money.

Keep in mind that we are talking about a $3200 camera that its resale value will drop like rock within the first 6 months no matter what.

Sony is not a company like Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Olympus, BM, etc that will address any problems with a firmware update, but instead they will come with a new model next year. Its great that we have a company that pushes the boundaries of what is possible but at the same time we as consumers have to be aware of the negatives that come along.

While I don't disagree with the point you're making, Sony has released some pretty substantial firmware updates. XAVCS on the A6000, ProRes internal on the FS7, 4k on the F5 (but only after a hack did the same). I suppose that makes it all the more bizarre that they won't enable the shutter button to record video on the A7s or fix other easily-fixable quirks.

So many Sony fans, but still such a lack of understanding of their mirrorless bodies ...

1. Anyone who ever has issues with overheating on a Sony NEX body was first advised to keep the LCD pulled out (shame on you testers for not trying that). Some have even attached a small heatsink on the backside to help the heat dissipate. There are many more tips if you just google them, but the gist of it all is the CPU is overheating - an external recorder can go on forever.

2. You all compare the A7 line with DSLR sized-bodies - even GH4, NX1 etc. are all insanely big bodies in comparison to the sensor size and the laws of thermodynamics cannot be ignored. On one hand you applaud it for it's small size, then you forget the obvious drawbacks. And the DSLRs you are comparing it to can't even go above line-skipped 1080p.

3. Get informed and use the body according to what it is capable of. A7RII in not a video-centric A7 body - wait for the A7SII or do great stills and superb video with this one.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

I don't think sony intentionally cripple their products, if their cameras have a limitation it's because they honestly can't do it, it's their business model in the camera making world to get ahead of their past negative status. They give you the maximum. If overheating was a problem fixable, they would have done it before release, or if it was fixable with firmware, I am sure they will do that some time from now, but it's not, it's strictly a hardware/design limitation. 

If there's something a Sony camera is bad at or can't do I highly believe it's because they can't do it, they give all they can. For example remapping the shutter button to activate video recording I am sure is a technical limitation in the camera map structure no matter how easy we think it is, they'd never not do it while redesigning the body from the A7 to A7II while having all these requests for it. It's a limitation they cannot go through, like colour science, like over heating, like the buggy slow menus of the FS7, aliasing/moire on the A7II, low resolution aliased slowmotion, extreme rolling shutter in A7s FF and A7rII s35, aliasing in A7rII FF 4K, horrible s35 4K on a7s, they're all problems they simply cannot fix. 

The only one occasion I've seen Sony intentionally cripple a camera was the Sony F5, but that's a completely different league and they had a marketing map for releasing over-the-year firmware upgrades for the F5 and F55 including enabling 4K on the F5 at some point. 

Anyhow, don't count on Sony making the A7rII record reliable 4K video internally with a downloadable firmware, maybe if they do a total recall and install a new component or redesign some parts to get it to go cooler but we all know that's too expensive and unlikely as if they could they would have done it before release. I honestly think there is no fix, Sony just cant do it physically. They will have to make a bigger body to give us the camera we want (just like Canon had to go with a 1D body PLUS a big heatsink to do 4K from the start). Perhaps in one of their upcoming Sony Alpha DSLR (SLT) line of cameras like an a99/77, or in a successor to the VG900 with an A7s/A7rII sensor for internal 4K.