Stumbled upon a possible GH4 color enhancing trick

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

yeah, I tend to keep contrast at 0 in camera because there are things that the GH4 does to the colors in the image when you try to flatten things out that are permanent and kinda ugly and better handled in post. I like a low contrast image and have better results dropping contrast in post than i do in camera. with the GH4, that is. 

In the latest video, perhaps the tones are less flat, but the colour of some peoples skin is really orange.  The blond woman with the baby at  1 min 14, and the shadows on the face of the boy/girl at 15 seconds.

Yeah the second video is more of a stylized look rather than true color, but I agree. If I spent time on it I'd use a secondary qualifier on their skin and bring down the yellow.

When you increase contrast, you have to dial back saturation in response. This will also help mask any minor color sins in your grade. Otherwise, it's a big improvement. You'll get even better results with contrast at -2 in camera, before compression.

yeah, I tend to keep contrast at 0 in camera because there are things that the GH4 does to the colors in the image when you try to flatten things out that are permanent and kinda ugly and better handled in post. I like a low contrast image and have better results dropping contrast in post than i do in camera. with the GH4, that is. 

What do you guys keep the saturation at in camera?

i keep saturation at -2. for me, the GH4 has somewhat been a return to the "get your look in camera" days. i've had a chance to play around with v-log and those days might behind us when they release it later this year. the flexibility looks promising.

The clip that I downloaded from Driftwood looked great. Very promising.

Yeah, that Alexa LUT does make for a nice look. It's little more contrasty than I'd like to go, personally. But an excellent starting point overall. Here's some more clips shot in the Natural profile (0, -5, -5, -2, 0) that I've applied my own custom LUT to. 

Your footage looks great! 

Since you turn NR to -5 do you apply NR in post to all clips?  

Would you still recommend NR -5 even with no NR in post? I'm planning to purchase Neat Video but I want to se if I can manage without. 

Basically I'm trying to find out the best NR setting in camera without using NR in post. 

i keep saturation at -2. for me, the GH4 has somewhat been a return to the "get your look in camera" days. i've had a chance to play around with v-log and those days might behind us when they release it later this year. the flexibility looks promising.

So I tried adding ONLY an input LUT to the V-Log footage. AlexaLOGtoREC709, with a tad bit saturation. That is all. Colors are looking great IMO.

LOGtoAlexa.jpg

Dear all, 
I normally shoot with Cine-D oe Cine-V, but some days ago I had to shoot with both GH4 and G6, so I used Natural with contrast -3 and sharpness and saturation all the way down. 
I had very nice (and similar) results.

I use Final Cut Pro X: is it possible to use LUT with it?

Thank you very much!

So I tried adding ONLY an input LUT to the V-Log footage. AlexaLOGtoREC709, with a tad bit saturation. That is all. Colors are looking great IMO.

Hey Aaron,

is this 10bit footage? Wonder what 8bit V-Log could do. Doesn´t matter anyhow, it´s never gonna be available for GH4:)

cheers

Dear all, 
I normally shoot with Cine-D oe Cine-V, but some days ago I had to shoot with both GH4 and G6, so I used Natural with contrast -3 and sharpness and saturation all the way down. 
I had very nice (and similar) results.

I use Final Cut Pro X: is it possible to use LUT with it?

Thank you very much!

I've had luck with Andrew's LOG converter with Portrait and Natural. You'll then be able to use LOG LUTs.

Hey Aaron,

is this 10bit footage? Wonder what 8bit V-Log could do. Doesn´t matter anyhow, it´s never gonna be available for GH4:)

cheers

Yes it is 10 bit. I'm curious to see 8 bit flexibility as well, but if it's anything like the C100 it won't be much different.

I've had luck with Andrew's LOG converter with Portrait and Natural. You'll then be able to use LOG LUTs.

Yes it is 10 bit. I'm curious to see 8 bit flexibility as well, but if it's anything like the C100 it won't be much different.

I've already seen a big difference in color integrity between 8-bit and 10-bit recording with a LUT applied. https://vimeo.com/101350338

Thank you very much!
Do you know if it is possible to load LUTs in Final Cut Pro X? I'm not able, maybe I need to use Resolve?

I've already seen a big difference in color integrity between 8-bit and 10-bit recording with a LUT applied. https://vimeo.com/101350338

There is some difference. I asked Driftwood about it and he said that you can notice a difference on a 10 bit monitor and with bitrate detection software. Not sure if he means there's no big difference on 8 bit monitors or what.