Stumbled upon a possible GH4 color enhancing trick

AaronChicago

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm definitely a fan of your looks. I prefer (like yours) a more stylized less saturated grade for most projects. The main reason I was testing color with GH4 Portrait was to get something close to Canon C100 colors. Focusing on the girls hair was a good indicator of how realistic I could make the red channel. When I added the Alexa LUT it looked spot on with how it looked in real life. I don't know how or why but it just takes the GH4 color and turns it into a more realistic looking image. 90% of the time I wouldn't finish a video with a "100% realistic" color look, but there are times when I do and it's nice to have that option.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Wow that Alexa LUT makes ''the'' exact trick that's needed to fix the slight GH4 colour issue. Very nice. The skin of the girl is magically transformed from GH4 skin to pleasing skin. And the hair and greens. 

I wish my NLE (Vegas Pro) supported LUTs (Come on Sony, Vegas Pro 13 is a 2015 update of an industry professional NLE and no LUT support came to mind?!) 

It's such a shame as I wanted to try this on my footage. 

Now I need to research and pay for fiddly third party software to start using LUTs and pray they work. 

Nice catch Aaron. An enormous subtle difference! 

Wow that Alexa LUT makes ''the'' exact trick that's needed to fix the slight GH4 colour issue. Very nice. The skin of the girl is magically transformed from GH4 skin to pleasing skin. And the hair and greens. 

I wish my NLE (Vegas Pro) supported LUTs (Come on Sony, Vegas Pro 13 is a 2015 update of an industry professional NLE and no LUT support came to mind?!) 

It's such a shame as I wanted to try this on my footage. 

Now I need to research and pay for fiddly third party software to start using LUTs and pray they work. 

Nice catch Aaron. An enormous subtle difference! 

Vegas doesn't have LUT support? That's crazy!

So for anyone who does not have the newest Premiere I have made available the LUT pack. (shhhh)

.cube: https://www.dropbox.com/s/u2see09x4a5s16c/GH4alexa.cube?dl=0

.3DL: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v3a0bbek7p5qmki/GH4alexa.3dl?dl=0

Instructions for GH4 profile:

Portrait

Contrast -5

everything else 0

0-255

Master Pedistal: 0

Shadows: 0

Highlights: -3

what a coincidence: that very same alexa lut in premiere is doin some magic on my slog2 rx10ii footage shot w a modified version of kholi's pro color settings. i just randomly tried it playing around with lumetri. im looking for a baseline of pleasing, naturalistic color and what i described is working really well

Yeah, that Alexa LUT does make for a nice look. It's little more contrasty than I'd like to go, personally. But an excellent starting point overall. Here's some more clips shot in the Natural profile (0, -5, -5, -2, 0) that I've applied my own custom LUT to. 

1. Those look great. Natural, understated colors, nice neutral highlights, and healthy skintones. Excellent work.

2. You are a stunningly rugged man. Respect.

3. Any chance you'd be willing to share your custom LUT? Or is that too much of a trade secret?

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Vegas doesn't have LUT support? That's crazy!

We've been telling Sony that for the past 5 years!

Perhaps I'll buy Magic Bullet LUT buddy (in a package of other software that I absolutely don't want) which is said to be able to import Luts in Vegas so I could try these on my cold GH4 footage. 

Aaron,

looking sweet. Kinda fleshy and rich. One thing though as with a lot footage done in Cine D+LUTs: it seems in some shots there is some greyish tone in the skin color, very lightly though. Am I wrong? Other than that, looks like a Canon color parade. Or am I wrong on that one too?:) Thanks for the LUT. Gonna check it out.

cheers, Marty

Aaron,

looking sweet. Kinda fleshy and rich. One thing though as with a lot footage done in Cine D+LUTs: it seems in some shots there is some greyish tone in the skin color, very lightly though. Am I wrong? Other than that, looks like a Canon color parade. Or am I wrong on that one too?:) Thanks for the LUT. Gonna check it out.

cheers, Marty

Thanks Marty. Yeah there is still a tiny bit of grey cast, but enormously better looking than the regular profiles. It mixes really well with C100 footage (which was my goal). The key is riding a fine line with the hue slider and pushing toward magenta.

Hey again,

maybe giving it a little bit more contrast on the shooting profile could get rid of the tiny amount of greyish cast?

Picking -2 or -3 like it has been suggested a lot of times for shooting with the G6 on Natural profile. Did that and in Resolve picked an input

LUT like this one: http://juanmelara.com.au/downloads/video2log_lut.zip. Got it from this friendly fellow man: http://juanmelara.com.au/print-film-emulation-luts-for-download

So maybe in camera a little less flat and "flatening" via Input Lut in post, then your beautiful Arri LUT on top. Maybe that could cure the greyish cast?

Hey again,

maybe giving it a little bit more contrast on the shooting profile could get rid of the tiny amount of greyish cast?

Picking -2 or -3 like it has been suggested a lot of times for shooting with the G6 on Natural profile. Did that and in Resolve picked an input

LUT like this one: http://juanmelara.com.au/downloads/video2log_lut.zip. Got it from this friendly fellow man: http://juanmelara.com.au/print-film-emulation-luts-for-download

So maybe in camera a little less flat and "flatening" via Input Lut in post, then your beautiful Arri LUT on top. Maybe that could cure the greyish cast?

it's worth a shot. The amount of contrast added by the Alexa LUT is nearly perfect for -5 in camera, but maybe shooting 0 and taking out a bit of contrast in post would work.

Here is the full video with the Arri Alexa SL LUT applied. My camera settings are under the description.

Definitely a little flat in the skintones, luma-wise. It needs a little more contrast in post or the internal profile dropped to -2. Tests show that cranking the contrast lower than that just flattens the image without providing any extra DR. 

I don't know if people just don't test their cameras these days or what, but...Natural IS one of the normal profiles. Just because one of them has "Cine" in the name doesn't mean you have to use it. Natural for low-contrast and Standard for high-contrast have been my go-to GH3 profiles for years and provide excellent results in all kinds of shooting environments. All this "bad GH4 colors" and "lousy skintones" nonsense is 100% operator error. Glad to see people are finally digging into the camera properly.