Starting from scratch, gear recommendations?

Dearborn

I've followed this blog for awhile since the gh2, stopped, and now I'm back thinking of buying into a camera system. Body's I was thinking about where the G7, gh4, em1, em5. Lenses are Panasonic's 12-35 x f2.8 or sigma f1.8 18-35 with canon metabones xl, or b&h have a deal for Panasonic's 14-140 and 14mm f2.5 with a rode video mic pro bundled with the g7, it's 500 more than the starter kit though. I would like image stabilization but I know it's been recommended to go with the sigma lens over the Panasonic even with losing the stabilization. Cametv has a mini gimble for 1,100 but it won't work with the weight of sigma lens, so it seems like stabilization is really out with out going to Olympus (can't justify spending 5,000 for a a7rii setup) and Andrew wrote the em5 video was worse then the em1. Which is it better to have? The fluid stabilization footage or the better video quality with no stabilization? Is it that much better?

So I'm trying to figure out what would be a good investment, and maybe upgrade the camera body in a year or two while being able to do video now for recreation, some possible pro work and creative works. I also need to decide on the best audio option. 250 for a rode video mic or up to 630 for a zoom h6 package with stereo shotgun mic. Or I could put that extra bit to go from a g7 to gh4. I will be using premeire and photo shop elements because I don't want to go creative cloud right now and don't know if you can color grade in it, so I would be able to utilize vlog.

I have a gorilla pod x and read it can work as a decent shoulder rig having 4 points of contact, but am concerned about the lack of stabilization in a g7/gh4 sigma rig cause I haven't seen alot of video on it, been looking. But in a year or two maybe there will be more ibis cameras to choose from.

What do you recommend for an entry setup that has the most usefulness later on with the fewest pieces that would need upgrading? 

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I've followed this blog for awhile since the gh2, stopped, and now I'm back thinking of buying into a camera system. Body's I was thinking about where the G7, gh4, em1, em5. Lenses are Panasonic's 12-35 x f2.8 or sigma f1.8 18-35 with canon metabones xl, or b&h have a deal for Panasonic's 14-140 and 14mm f2.5 with a rode video mic pro bundled with the g7, it's 500 more than the starter kit though. I would like image stabilization but I know it's been recommended to go with the sigma lens over the Panasonic even with losing the stabilization. Cametv has a mini gimble for 1,100 but it won't work with the weight of sigma lens, so it seems like stabilization is really out with out going to Olympus (can't justify spending 5,000 for a a7rii setup) and Andrew wrote the em5 video was worse then the em1. Which is it better to have? The fluid stabilization footage or the better video quality with no stabilization? Is it that much better?

So I'm trying to figure out what would be a good investment, and maybe upgrade the camera body in a year or two while being able to do video now for recreation, some possible pro work and creative works. I also need to decide on the best audio option. 250 for a rode video mic or up to 630 for a zoom h6 package with stereo shotgun mic. Or I could put that extra bit to go from a g7 to gh4. I will be using premeire and photo shop elements because I don't want to go creative cloud right now and don't know if you can color grade in it, so I would be able to utilize vlog.

I have a gorilla pod x and read it can work as a decent shoulder rig having 4 points of contact, but am concerned about the lack of stabilization in a g7/gh4 sigma rig cause I haven't seen alot of video on it, been looking. But in a year or two maybe there will be more ibis cameras to choose from.

What do you recommend for an entry setup that has the most usefulness later on with the fewest pieces that would need upgrading? 

Thanks

Do you have a budget?

Do you have a budget?

I'm looking at a camera body, main lens, audio solution, quality tripod and head, 128gb SD card, batteries if needed or charger, filter set, maybe a backpack. And in my highest estimate was about 3,500 minus the backpack for a gh4 with sigma 18-35 f1.8 and metabones xl, a rode video mic pro. B&h gives you about 150 in credits to go towards a tripod/head. Under 3,000 is more on budget but either way I lose stabilization, video quality, or fstops. On the low end 1,300 gets me a g7, 14-140 which is stabilized with a rode video mic pro, plus a 14mm f 2.5, but I don't know how good theses lenses will be in the long run. The sigma would be great with a ibis body but then it's a video quality issue now or a waiting game for the next model of camera to come out. And the Olympus ibis might be great for general use. I guess I want what ever camera I choose to be fun to use now and a good b camera in a year or two, cause I figure 5axis ibis will be more common or Olympus will fix their video with the em1ii or something. How difficult is it to shoot video and stills without any stabilization in the mean time? Is premiere elements any good with its stabilization software or is it weaker version of warp?

Would you think it better to get a g7 & zoom h6 kit with the shotgun or just a rode video mic and put the difference to a gh4?

I'm looking at a camera body, main lens, audio solution, quality tripod and head, 128gb SD card, batteries if needed or charger, filter set, maybe a backpack. And in my highest estimate was about 3,500 minus the backpack for a gh4 with sigma 18-35 f1.8 and metabones xl, a rode video mic pro. B&h gives you about 150 in credits to go towards a tripod/head. Under 3,000 is more on budget but either way I lose stabilization, video quality, or fstops. On the low end 1,300 gets me a g7, 14-140 which is stabilized with a rode video mic pro, plus a 14mm f 2.5, but I don't know how good theses lenses will be in the long run. The sigma would be great with a ibis body but then it's a video quality issue now or a waiting game for the next model of camera to come out. And the Olympus ibis might be great for general use. I guess I want what ever camera I choose to be fun to use now and a good b camera in a year or two, cause I figure 5axis ibis will be more common or Olympus will fix their video with the em1ii or something. How difficult is it to shoot video and stills without any stabilization in the mean time? Is premiere elements any good with its stabilization software or is it weaker version of warp?

Would you think it better to get a g7 & zoom h6 kit with the shotgun or just a rode video mic and put the difference to a gh4?

The main issues with the G7 include:

1. Bad bitrate at 1080p and slowmo.

2. No headheadphone monitoring.

3. HDMI seems very strange and kostly disabled because you can't watch it in camera with the HDMI out.

4. Won't get the promised GH4 log. Most likely only the GH4 will have log. 

It's positives:

1. Noticeably cheaper than the GH4. $1500 (without lens) vs $800 (with lens and maybe even mic)

2. If u're in the US, Adorama literally throws in a shotgun mic free with the camera and lens deal. I believe the whole thing costs under $800. Sell the free Audio Technica Mic and pick up a Audio Technica AT875R IF you plan on getting a separate recorder. Btw apart from the bad battery and lack of separate mic in the system, the Tascam DR 60D Mark ii is a better option than the Zoom in terms of spund quality especially for shotgun mics. It costs well under $200. 

3. Slightly better low light than the GH4.

4. Good internal 4k at 100 Mbps. 

I haven't understood the need for the H5 or H6 unless it involves multiple shotguns or something else. You could get the Shure LensHopper VP 63F. It has dual sound, meaning it feeds sound into your dslr as well as records it on a micro SD card. That way you also have backup in case of sudden sound surges, by having a 10db or difference in volume between both sources. Also, you can record ADR on it, since it works without the DRLR as well. 

For interviews it's best to use lapel mics, apart from on a shotgun, since ADR isn't an option.

Whatever you save, keep it for the stabilizer and lighting. 

The main issues with the G7 include:

1. Bad bitrate at 1080p and slowmo.

2. No headheadphone monitoring.

3. HDMI seems very strange and kostly disabled because you can't watch it in camera with the HDMI out.

4. Won't get the promised GH4 log. Most likely only the GH4 will have log. 

It's positives:

1. Noticeably cheaper than the GH4. $1500 (without lens) vs $800 (with lens and maybe even mic)

2. If u're in the US, Adorama literally throws in a shotgun mic free with the camera and lens deal. I believe the whole thing costs under $800. Sell the free Audio Technica Mic and pick up a Audio Technica AT875R IF you plan on getting a separate recorder. Btw apart from the bad battery and lack of separate mic in the system, the Tascam DR 60D Mark ii is a better option than the Zoom in terms of spund quality especially for shotgun mics. It costs well under $200. 

3. Slightly better low light than the GH4.

4. Good internal 4k at 100 Mbps. 

I haven't understood the need for the H5 or H6 unless it involves multiple shotguns or something else. You could get the Shure LensHopper VP 63F. It has dual sound, meaning it feeds sound into your dslr as well as records it on a micro SD card. That way you also have backup in case of sudden sound surges, by having a 10db or difference in volume between both sources. Also, you can record ADR on it, since it works without the DRLR as well. 

For interviews it's best to use lapel mics, apart from on a shotgun, since ADR isn't an option.

Whatever you save, keep it for the stabilizer and lighting. 

thanks for the info. Adorama is giving the shotgun mic with both the 14-42 and 14-140. The 140mm is 300 more, any opinions to if its worth it? How is the quality compared to the 42mm?

The 14-140 kit with the g7, shotgun mic, 128gb SD & reader, lens cloth, an extra generic battery, 58mm uv filter and premiere & Photoshop elements 13 comes in at 1,210. That would give me a camera to work with and I could still use the 140mm lens for telephoto shots after getting the sigma/metabones 18-35 for low light, and the g7 could be an alright backup camera after Olympus or Panasonic come out with a better video ibis camera in the future. What do you think? Any votes to go with an em1, em5ii, or gh4 instead if they're all missing something in the mix right now? How quickly do you think I'll have to pick up the sigma/metabones, or will f3.5 on the 140mm with the g7 work alright for indoor filming?

Thanks