Two Wheels Self-Balancing Mini Scooter for gimbals

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There's also a self balancing unicycle quite like it. I tried it at the Hong Kong Electronics Fair last year. It isn't as easy as it looks I tell you. But with some practice it's pretty cool, these guys promoting it were really racing around. You can order these things directly from China on sites like aliexpress.com . Back to these two-wheelers. Casey Neistat did a video on one not too long ago as well...

Just be careful using one of these in public. Depending on your local regulations, this might not be used legally outside of private locations (at home/event centers/campsites).

I would love to see someone fall on their face on this thing. Or rather, I would love to see them topple over with their expensive camera, smashing the camera into the floor and smashing their face into the camera, which is what will happen. How can you possibly concentrate on operating the camrea. The example has terrible framing and non existent focusing, It's like trying to stand on top of a ball. A really stupid idea. But dont let me stop you doing it, just make sure you have somebody else to film it at the same time. I could do with a laugh.

I would love to see someone fall on their face on this thing. Or rather, I would love to see them topple over with their expensive camera, smashing the camera into the floor and smashing their face into the camera, which is what will happen. How can you possibly concentrate on operating the camrea. The example has terrible framing and non existent focusing, It's like trying to stand on top of a ball. A really stupid idea. But dont let me stop you doing it, just make sure you have somebody else to film it at the same time. I could do with a laugh.

I am sure you would also love some terrorists to blow up the world too. But we wish it never happens. 

Segways are already used in films or TV where you need smooth tracking movements without the headache of setting up of tracks. Also, unlike tracks, on open spaces segways can travel smoothly for several kilometres likein dessert sequences or on empty roads. The uses can be practically limitless. 

P.S.: Just for your evil satisfaction the former head of Segways died after he used it on top of a hill. RIP

They use a skateboard for this, but you will be more amazed with what they are filming.  If you pulled off a shot on these I'd buy you a pint.  Go to 57 seconds to skip the chit chat.

Wow. The camera work is actually extremely impressive. Far better than a lot of actions and sports photography done by some of the biggest names around. 

Segways are already used in films or TV where you need smooth tracking movements without the headache of setting up of tracks. Also, unlike tracks, on open spaces segways can travel smoothly for several kilometres likein dessert sequences or on empty roads. The uses can be practically limitless. 

Yep, you really need to practice so that the riding becomes second nature, then it's no prob. As a mountain biker & snowboarder for two decades, I can easily film with a DSLR while riding - but you really need a gimbal to get the video smooth.

I can imagine these kind of Segway-like devices would be great for indoors use, maybe even without a gimbal. Outside there's so many cracks and bumps that you really need a gimbal.

Coincidentally, one guy brought one of these "hoverboards" (the one mentioned in the first post) to office today, so I got to try it.

I learnt to ride it pretty well in ten minutes. You want good flat shoes for these, and they work nicely when barefeet. It's difficult to relax in the beginning, so you get good exercise in lower legs on your first trial.

I can imagine that with a bit of training you'd be able to get good shots with a camera even without a gimbal with this device - as long as you have good shoes to be able to do exact balancing.

I tried out on tiled pavement outside as well, and I'd certainly recommend some kind of gimbal for such surfaces.

Emanual, thanks for sharing the video. As for legality of this, I rode it at numerous places including a bar, a night market event, a festival, and also I've seen several people writing at the airports. it takes 3-5 mins to practice and many a few mins more to get the hang at it. We have lifted chairs, moved tables, etc. 

When you fall though, you do fall hard if you decide to ride it on full speed. The prices ranges from $89 to $1500 (if you continuing checking out Amazon or Ebay you can always find a deal). there are 3 types, a 700watts one (which is the better power) compared to the 500watts or 350watts.

Overall, it's a great 'toy' converted to be used with gimbals :)

Johnnuy

A friend of mine is the head of marketing for Boosted Boards.  I tried out the dual+ model with a Ronin. Top speed of 22 mph and travels 6 miles on a charge. Also, it has reverse, regenerative braking, and I think it weighs under 15lbs.  Super stable and I felt comfortable right away (used the camera on it after less than 5 minutes of use). If I lived in a large city I would already own it for transportation. For video I can see it would be very handy for certain shots, but I will have to try out the mini segway as well.  Has anyone tried both and can give input on which would be better for video purposes? ( price not a primary factor )  Here is a very impromptu video shot five minutes after my first time ever on an electric longboard.  I was a little nervous going wide open as a fall would probably mean the end of the gear and possibly a trip to the E.R. but you only go around once right?  (click 4k )

Have you already used skateboards beforehand?

Yes.  Very comfortable on boards when I was younger, but late 30's now and it had been at least 8 years since I last skated. Although, both my wife and a first time skater also hopped on and within a few minutes got the hang of it.  The board has 3 or 4 settings that limit take off and top speed  This  helped us get comfortable before maxing out the speed.  

I think I will have to order the mini segway and give it a go to see which works better for video use.

Kind of reminds me of the latest CorridorDigital clip

Ha! just watched that yesterday and the making of vid. Shot on Gopro with a mini gimbal.  Technology has come so far.   20 years ago when I was around 16 I saved up for a couple years, reading  Videomaker magazine all the while, (no internet for me yet) and then based on their reviews bought the first consumer mini DV camera to come out,  (Grdv1 I believe) plus a wide and tele converter and edited with 2 vhs decks and a jog dial.  Crazy how much has changed!  Makes me wonder what another 20 years will bring.

(apology for off topic reminiscing)

• 2 months later...
  • 10 months later...