Quick RX100 iv 4k test + Ongoing thoughts

Zach Ashcraft

Just received the RX100IV today and I'm dang excited to create some things with it. I had the mark 1 and despite its limitations, had lots of fun shooting with it. 

I created a 15 second instagram video at work today just as a means to try out the 4K mode. I was in a hot warehouse in Texas right next to an open door. After 1 take, it began to display the overheat symbol. After two takes, it told me to let the camera cool and shut off. Switching to 1080p mode and I was just fine. 

This is by no means an A Camera, but I do think it is an absolutely incredible creative tool. Its so versatile! The 4K is sharp and clean, and the image grades well. This particular short was shot in  Picture Profile 4 and graded with film convert to add a lot of punch. I'll continue to share my thoughts and include more video after I've had more of a chance to shoot with it. 

General light coming from a nearby open door. A bit of spot from below added by a pair of Lumos Trip Pro LED's. Cinevate Duzi V3 slider.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

thanks for sharing this Zach (Ashcraft!).

you kno whats so weird....... MY name is Zach my middle name is Kaylee??? ?

id love to hear and see more about your experiences with the camera

youre a talented guy and ive learned a lot from your posts and i enjoy seeing your work

Nice video. What focal lengths are you shooting with there?

I believe this was shot all at the widest angle, and mostly wide open. I think theres one shot in there zoomed to roughly 35mm (equivalent)

I loved shooting with the original RX100 this way. Widest angle and very close up. Very immersive feel in my opinion, and its just fun to film in this way. 

Dallas, Fort Worth? Are you a military cameraman?

Nah, definitely wouldn't call it that. Growing up in Texas I've been a firearms advocate for the majority of my life, and I currently work for a Firearms retailer down here. Great company with an endless supply of cool products to photograph and film

Heres a quick clip uploaded in 4K! Shot in slog2, graded with film convert. Around 70mm F/5.6 or so. I think I'll typically stay away from SLOG as it generates so much noise on this tiny sensor. I was using hot fluorescents on either side of the camera, and the camera did give me an overheat warning while shooting, but never shot off. I was sweating! 

Added a gradual crop throughout the length of the video.

• 2 weeks later...

Just submitted a request for a return at B&H on this guy. I knew it was going to overheat after continuous use but WOW, not like this. 

I know its summer, but literally within seconds of being outside an 30 seconds of a single take in 4K, it overheats and shuts off. Same story in 1080p 120FPS. Even in 1080p 24p I've got the overheating indicator on the screen, this is just after minutes of use. Even indoors in close proximity to photoflood tungsten lights it gave me an overheat warning, and shut off in 4K mode. 

Battery life is also ridiculous. I had 3 batteries and still found myself wondering if I would make it through an evening of shooting. 

This is incredible disappointing since the image is really incredible in the right conditions. 

Just submitted a request for a return at B&H on this guy. I knew it was going to overheat after continuous use but WOW, not like this. 

This is incredible disappointing since the image is really incredible in the right conditions. 

I didn't trust the small body, wanted to get it over the RX10 in the beginning, as well, but held back. Just get the 10 instead if you're willing to pay the extra, same incredible image and no issues.

I didn't trust the small body, wanted to get it over the RX10 in the beginning, as well, but held back. Just get the 10 instead if you're willing to pay the extra, same incredible image and no issues.

My biggest disappointment comes in preferring and needing the small body size. I was essentially using it as a go pro replacement, mounting it to thinks like rifles, vehicles, etc. And it actually works great for this, when the camera actually works. The RX10 is bordering on too big for this, and I know wouldn't work in some of the ways i've already tried shooting with the RX100 iv. Maybe the mark 5 will be an improvement