GH4 Anamorphic Mode

dwijip

First time actually utilising the Anamorphic option on the GH4 as there is no HDMI out in this mode. This was a just a little sketch I did in my room, by myself using the ImgApp. It is really great that the anamorphic mode can produce a 4:3 ratio image but it comes with some catchlines like no 1080p, no HFR, no HDMI out etc. For me it kind of gets pointless trying to use a tiny LCD screen for monitoring when you've got your camera heavily rigged up for shooting with other gear. So I guess I will stick with just 16:9 and cropping and hope for a firmware update. Speaking of firmware updates, jesus christ are they going to ferment V log before they release it. 

• 2 years later...
EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, EricStephan said:

Hi, 

there never came a firmware update out which allows hdmi out or record in 1080p right? Annoyed of it.. have you found a workaround?

1080p 4:3 doesn't exist on other pannys either. I can see the draw card for higher frame rates or really slow computers, but honestly the IQ drop you get with anamorphic makes 1080p from most cameras look pretty crappy imo. If you can it's much better to just film in 4K and downsample or make proxies if you need to. On GH5 it's even another level again with the 6K mode, it just makes anamorphic lenses look so nice, the way they take the harshness off what is mostly a pretty digital looking sensor/image, it makes me want to shoot everything in 6K... but then I have no 60p :( same with HLG.

On 3.5.2018 at 3:15 PM, tweak said:

1080p 4:3 doesn't exist on other pannys either. I can see the draw card for higher frame rates or really slow computers, but honestly the IQ drop you get with anamorphic makes 1080p from most cameras look pretty crappy imo. If you can it's much better to just film in 4K and downsample or make proxies if you need to. On GH5 it's even another level again with the 6K mode, it just makes anamorphic lenses look so nice, the way they take the harshness off what is mostly a pretty digital looking sensor/image, it makes me want to shoot everything in 6K... but then I have no 60p :( same with HLG.

Is it true that you can monitor the GH5 in anamorphic mode in 4k with any external monitor? But not in 6k.