Can't decide between RX10ii, GH4 or NX1

Elpeos

Hi all,

As the title says, i can't decide between the RX10ii, GH4 or NX1, and i hope you can help me with making a decision.

I'm a independed videographer since 2007, i started with a Panasonic HVX200, later (and still have) a Canon t2i, then, till now i'm using a Canon 5d Mark2. I think it's time for a change and an investment, so i'm looking for a new camera. Because of the technology going so fast i don't want to spend a huge amount of money, and so i have a few options.

1. RX10ii - Interesting because of it's lens, frame rates and S-LOG, worried about Low-Light and small sensor. I need to keep my 5dmii for pro-photography (sometimes i got asked for that). (costs € 1599,00)

2. GH4 - Interesting with Speedbooster so i can use my EF-lenses, don't know about it's stills, so i don't know if i should sell my 5d for it? (costs: € 1499, and € 999,00 for speedbooster XL).

3. NX1 with 16-50S 2.0 - 2.8 lens + adapter for EF for manual use, i've seen some less-positive reviews about this cam, but i've seen amazing 4k video from it. I'm aware of the h.265 codec and it's workflow, but i think this made be interesting one to sell my 5d for. I'm also aware of it's rolling shutter, but i'm a kind of laid back filmer and never had any problem with it on my 5d .(i can get the NX1 with 16-50S lens for € 1999,00)

Mostly i'm making promotional videos for companies, so a lot of inside filming with available light and, interviews. 

Well, i'm hoping for some good advice! :)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

You might want to look at the ImageVision Z E1 camera on Kickstarter. Depending on what you're filming that could be a good option. MFT, 16mpmpstills with raw, 4k 60Mbps, 1080p60, 720p240

I'm in a very similar position as you. I'm looking at all of them for the high bitrate 4k and 1080 120fps slow mo (where GH4 has only 96fps) but rolling shutter does bother me in many cases and also I want to be able to get shallow dof. Also, I would like a good camera for stills that performs better than my t3i. 

I have had the same issue, these were the cameras I also chose between. I have crossed off the NX1 easily as it has no log, extra transcoding hassle and isn't really even available in the UK. Other Samsung cameras are almost impossible to sell.

The GH4 with the booster is the correct choice if you already have lenses and it sounds like you do. People sell GH4's used for almost new price which proves this is the best choice. The booster makes it a pro camera and when it gets log that will be etched in stone. 

The RX10ii might be available for much lower prices from eBay or other sources, depending on your country; I am guessing not if you are using Euros. I have just seen a review which confirms the Rx10ii is right for me as I can get it cheap and I am strapped, but I don't already have Canon lenses. 

Get the GH4.

I have had the same issue, these were the cameras I also chose between. I have crossed off the NX1 easily as it has no log, extra transcoding hassle and isn't really even available in the UK. Other Samsung cameras are almost impossible to sell.

The GH4 with the booster is the correct choice if you already have lenses and it sounds like you do. People sell GH4's used for almost new price which proves this is the best choice. The booster makes it a pro camera and when it gets log that will be etched in stone. 

The RX10ii might be available for much lower prices from eBay or other sources, depending on your country; I am guessing not if you are using Euros. I have just seen a review which confirms the Rx10ii is right for me as I can get it cheap and I am strapped, but I don't already have Canon lenses. 

Get the GH4.

I'm impressed by the RX10ii also, but i'm affraid for noise when shooting indoors, i've heard for outside shooting with S-Log ISO 800 is needed and add extra exposure. In combination with that small sensor i don't know if i would feel comfortable when using it as A-cam. Btw im from the Netherlands.

I don't know what it is but the samples i've seen from the NX1 looked more cinematic to me than the GH4. Also with the NX1 i get a new lens (16-50S seems to be good) and for cheap i get an EF-adapter so i'm also able to use my Canon lenses, and with the GH4 i'll continue with the same glass and maybe the change isn't that satisfying. Questions like these playing with my brains constantly.

You might want to look at the ImageVision Z E1 camera on Kickstarter. Depending on what you're filming that could be a good option. MFT, 16mpmpstills with raw, 4k 60Mbps, 1080p60, 720p240

I'm in a very similar position as you. I'm looking at all of them for the high bitrate 4k and 1080 120fps slow mo (where GH4 has only 96fps) but rolling shutter does bother me in many cases and also I want to be able to get shallow dof. Also, I would like a good camera for stills that performs better than my t3i. 

Thanks, i'll take a look at that cam! It's very difficult huh to make a satisfying decision :)

NX1 4k is pretty damn good according to people much less biased (I own it) and much more experienced than me. Samsung has been very good about timely firmware updates and should hopefully continue that into the future with added features, similar to how the GH4 has a new log mode. That 16-50 S lens is usually $1200 alone so that seems like a very good deal. The color and the quality of the 4k is definitely the camera's best feature. 

It does however use h265 encoding that hasn't been integrated by most editing programs, and you'll have to use a converter like Rocky Mountains converter to use the footage. I can't even view the clips in VLC without it hanging up. So, added time until the h265 catches on. The camera has a few bugs left in it, but like I said Samsung has thus far been very good with firmware--the only firmware problem being it erases all your settings every time you update it. The lens selection past the 16-50 S is pretty limited. There were rumors that lenses would be revealed late 2015 or so. But just rumors so far. I do wish the OLED screen on it could pivot to view from the front instead of just up and down. Using LUTs or FilmConvert, there haven't been any profiles or lut packs for the NX1 yet if that matters.

I wouldn't go with the Sony as an only cam, it's good to have access to a larger sensor. NX1 is a great cam, but does take that little bit of extra work in post. GH4 is most flexible with the great touch screen and everything.

One thing that irritates me with the Sony cams is the lack of touchscreen. I don't understand the reasoning.

Some of my favorite footage from the NX1 comes from @Mattias Burling with 30mm pancake. The only thing I don't like is that his (and a lot of people's) skies are completely white instead of beautiful shades of blue but of course a lot of that is due to color grading. 

Don't know how technical and wonky you want to get, but if you want a cheap (free) change to your stuff, I suppose you could try the Magic Lantern Raw hack on your old 5D and see if that sort of reboot of your imaging reinvigorates your work.

The expanded ability to push and pull your image in post is much more challenging and rewarding than acquiring higher resolution, IMHO.  But, it depends on what you're wanting to do.

Hi all,

As the title says, i can't decide between the RX10ii, GH4 or NX1, and i hope you can help me with making a decision.

I'm a independed videographer since 2007, i started with a Panasonic HVX200, later (and still have) a Canon t2i, then, till now i'm using a Canon 5d Mark2. I think it's time for a change and an investment, so i'm looking for a new camera. Because of the technology going so fast i don't want to spend a huge amount of money, and so i have a few options.

1. RX10ii - Interesting because of it's lens, frame rates and S-LOG, worried about Low-Light and small sensor. I need to keep my 5dmii for pro-photography (sometimes i got asked for that). (costs € 1599,00)

2. GH4 - Interesting with Speedbooster so i can use my EF-lenses, don't know about it's stills, so i don't know if i should sell my 5d for it? (costs: € 1499, and € 999,00 for speedbooster XL).

3. NX1 with 16-50S 2.0 - 2.8 lens + adapter for EF for manual use, i've seen some less-positive reviews about this cam, but i've seen amazing 4k video from it. I'm aware of the h.265 codec and it's workflow, but i think this made be interesting one to sell my 5d for. I'm also aware of it's rolling shutter, but i'm a kind of laid back filmer and never had any problem with it on my 5d .(i can get the NX1 with 16-50S lens for € 1999,00)

Mostly i'm making promotional videos for companies, so a lot of inside filming with available light and, interviews. 

Well, i'm hoping for some good advice! :)

Maybe you should consider the new Panasonic G7 too, since it delivers almost the same quality of video as the GH4 (except log, as and when it comes), has slightly better low light, and far less prominent fixed pattern noise. Also, it is priced for the camera body along with the lens (either of the 2 lenses). For the amount you save, you could add a cheap chinese metabones copy, on a not too expensive f2.8 zoom like the sigma Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 or the super fast sigma f1.8 18-35mm if zoom range isn't an issue for you. 

€999 for the SB XL?

Where on Earth are you buying it from?

It's only $649USD direct from Metabones - which is around €595. Or is there a crazy import-tax or something I don't know about?

If you can afford the SB XL, get the GH4, if not, get the RX10 II.

Well, this country handles crazy taxes indeed! http://www.kamera-express.nl/product/12208820/metabones-canon-ef-naar-mft-t-speedbooster-xl-0-64x/?gclid=CPyYvYvKlccCFSb3wgodRawGWg

Maybe you should consider the new Panasonic G7 too, since it delivers almost the same quality of video as the GH4 (except log, as and when it comes), has slightly better low light, and far less prominent fixed pattern noise. Also, it is priced for the camera body along with the lens (either of the 2 lenses). For the amount you save, you could add a cheap chinese metabones copy, on a not too expensive f2.8 zoom like the sigma Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 or the super fast sigma f1.8 18-35mm if zoom range isn't an issue for you. 

Thanks, i'll take a look at this one too!

NX1 4k is pretty damn good according to people much less biased (I own it) and much more experienced than me. Samsung has been very good about timely firmware updates and should hopefully continue that into the future with added features, similar to how the GH4 has a new log mode. That 16-50 S lens is usually $1200 alone so that seems like a very good deal. The color and the quality of the 4k is definitely the camera's best feature. 

It does however use h265 encoding that hasn't been integrated by most editing programs, and you'll have to use a converter like Rocky Mountains converter to use the footage. I can't even view the clips in VLC without it hanging up. So, added time until the h265 catches on. The camera has a few bugs left in it, but like I said Samsung has thus far been very good with firmware--the only firmware problem being it erases all your settings every time you update it. The lens selection past the 16-50 S is pretty limited. There were rumors that lenses would be revealed late 2015 or so. But just rumors so far. I do wish the OLED screen on it could pivot to view from the front instead of just up and down. Using LUTs or FilmConvert, there haven't been any profiles or lut packs for the NX1 yet if that matters.

I vote for the NX1 - largest sensor of the 3, and much easier to get wide and shallow DOF.  The 1080p120 looks fantastic.  Is it perfect?  No, of course not, but IMO the best of these three.  The RX100v4 won't shoot slowmo or 4k for very long takes, and the 96FPS of the GH4 is pretty low-res.  All 3 are good choices IMO.

• Super Members

One thing that irritates me with the Sony cams is the lack of touchscreen. I don't understand the reasoning.

Some of my favorite footage from the NX1 comes from @Mattias Burling with 30mm pancake. The only thing I don't like is that his (and a lot of people's) skies are completely white instead of beautiful shades of blue but of course a lot of that is due to color grading. 

I never blow out the sky, if its white it was mostly white aka cloudy :)

@Mattias how is the autofocus on the lenses you have for the NX1? Is the autofocus as fast for whatever you use (which lenses do you have/recommend by the way?) as it is with the S lens? I've heard that the other lenses seem to have worse autofocus that the pro S lenses (which I probably can't afford lol).

(It looks like the Samsung lenses don't seem to depreciate much in value... :( )

• Super Members

@Mattias how is the autofocus on the lenses you have for the NX1? Is the autofocus as fast for whatever you use (which lenses do you have/recommend by the way?) as it is with the S lens? I've heard that the other lenses seem to have worse autofocus that the pro S lenses (which I probably can't afford lol).

(It looks like the Samsung lenses don't seem to depreciate much in value... :( )

In Sweden they depreciate like you wouldn't believe.

The only AF lens I've tried is the 30mm. I only used push focus and that's really fast. I also accidentally left the AF on once or twice and it was fast enough for keeping the shots. 

I can link an example when I get to a computer later.