Why No Love For This Camera?

liamlumiere

As the world goes nuts for the new A7rII and the impending Ursa mini, JVC seems to be overlooked yet with firmware 2.0 on the GY-LS300 (out in September) giving some great features, surely it deserves some recognition. Here's what it's got (will have):

● JVC Log

● Cinema 4K recording mode

● Prime Lens Zoom (that's right, zoom with your prime lens)

● Micro Four Thirds mount with Super 35 sensor (full frame with a speedbooster)

● .mov files (yay! no hunting down your files buried away in a far away folder)

● Duel SD card slots (no expensive cfast cards)

● 4:2:2 full HD up to 60p

● Built in ND filters

● XLRx2 audio

● Built in HD streaming engine over wifi and 4G LTE connectivity 

So, on paper this certainly looks like a very capable camera. I myself will be upgrading in September so will wait till reviews for the Ursa mini, a7rII are out and plenty of user experience aired before deciding but surely this camera deserves a mention, why no love?

Check out this link on their site about the new firmware: http://pro.jvc.com/pro/pr/2015/releases/gyls300_v2.html 

jvc-gy-ls300.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I agree. This camera deserves more attention. 

It is a much better package than the DVX200 that was recently released from panasonic with a lousy image quality and a lousy non removable lens. 

Here is a review from newsshooter: http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/02/24/testing-out-the-jvc-gy-ls300-a-4k-budget-super-35mm-camera-with-a-micro-43-mount/

@austinchimp That footage was terrible but from watching other footage online it has more to do with the person behind the camera/computer than the camera itself. 

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Answering the question of why it didn't get attention

-JVC Brand name

-The gamma/DR/shooting skills in general in the test samples looked like smartphones.

*IF JVC LOG fixes the DR issue a bit and give the camera for a professional narrative filmmaker to shoot a short (just like Canon/Sony does). this camera could be extremely popular.  

This is the only decent sample on the web so far. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYCdxMrvAoA

-JVC Brand name 

-The gamma/DR/shooting skills in general in the test samples looked like smartphones.

*IF JVC LOG fixes the DR issue a bit and give the camera for a professional narrative filmmaker to shoot a short (just like Canon/Sony does). this camera could be extremely popular.  

I think JVC have always been known for ENG type cameras and certainly some aspects of this cam like the HD live streaming feature hold true to that but with their LOG profile, 4:2:2 with some nice glass on the front, i'd really like to see that. 

Why are they waiting till september to release it?  They should have examples ready right away.

Same reason Panasonic did with P-Log... Promise now while it is still in the works, deliver later... Keeps people interested

Same reason Panasonic did with P-Log... Promise now while it is still in the works, deliver later... Keeps people interested

I'm sure they'll release a video demoing the new features. Their marketing isn't the best but this is big for them, they've obviously been listening to user feedback and kept an eye on peer models. 

I tried this camera once when we had it as a b-cam on a shoot. The body is quite small and feels a bit plasticky so I didn't like it at all in that aspect. 

Can't really say much about the image since I didn't have a chance to play with the footage myself but based on the shooting experience (ergonomics and usability) with the camera I was not that impressed with it.

-JVC Brand name

This is the only decent sample on the web so far. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYCdxMrvAoA

That doesn't look that bad at all. I thought the colors were actually very nice. Maybe a hair cool and magenta-ish at times, but pretty. Why haven't we been talking about this thing... I have no idea. Please keep us posted when more footage comes out.