New XEEN cinema lenses from Rokinon/Samyang

sudopera

Even if they have sufficiently less optical and mechanical quality vs CP.2s, of course it's normal an expected, they are 1500$ less for a piece. Completely different price league vs the CP.2s and CN-Es. 

Samyang can't sell the same thing at the same price as Zeiss. Zeiss has 100+ years of history. Samyang needs to make lens as good or better and cheaper than Zeiss if they want to make money!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Samyang cine 24mm f/1.4 is an awful lens.  It won't focus below f/2.8. Tried 2 lenses results are same. they better have a good thought about releasing dedicated cine lenses. 

I think you just had really really bad luck with those, Samyang are known for having some faulty lenses. I have a 24mm f1.4 and its an amazing lens, I use it mainly at 1.4, where it is indeed kind of soft, but a nice soft, step it to f2.0 and the lens is incredibly sharp.

If the Samyang VDSLR had lens breathing, and the new XEEN don't, it can't be only because of the new coatings. So they must have changed something else?? I am no expert in optics

https://***URL not allowed***/5-reasons-xeen-lenses-big-deal/

after watching this clip, I don't think it's the Xeen lenses that are going to hold anyone back from making their next feature...

https://***URL not allowed***/5-reasons-xeen-lenses-big-deal/

after watching this clip, I don't think it's the Xeen lenses that are going to hold anyone back from making their next feature...

The thing I actually took out of that was that a new 6 primes CineAlta kit (albeit covering S35 only) has dropped in price massively (despite appearing to be performing rather well) only sets you back 12900 USD (or about 8000 EUR I saw, or £4850 for a demo kit). Hum.

I5AcZtg.jpg

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Are these lenses made irrelevant by the SLR Magic Rangefinder?

I don't think so. This is a set of proper PL cine glass, nothing the Rangefinder can replace fully. Even SLR Magic themselves make them http://www.slrmagic.co.uk/slr-magic-apo-hyperprime-cine-50mm-t21-lens.html

That's not to say the RG is a great solution for cine-tizing stills glass. I am doing a full review with pros and cons soon.