NX500 Test

mercer

Ok, I was able to do a few more tests today. I used the Standard Profile and dialed Sharpness, Saturation and Contrast to -5. I also dialed down Hue to -15.

I used the Canon FD 28mm f/2 lens and a Canon 35-70mm f/4 zoom.

I converted two versions... One downscaled to 1080p and one 4K version. I tried over and under exposing some shots but haven't graded anything... This is all straight from the camera  

Here is the 1080p conversion.

I am waiting for the 4K version to upload, I will post that when it does  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The first part (normally exposed, till 1:50 or so) looks great, I liked it the best. Natural looking, with nice detail. Seemed a tad contrasty though, for example at 1:00.

Yeah, it's not too bad. I am going to try and grade it tomorrow, but I think it needs to be flatter.

I have more tests to do. I think I need to dial everything down a couple more notches... Maybe to -8. But I do like the standard profile. The Calm Profile looks intriguing as well. 

What are the odds they will add rec709 to a future firmware update?

Ok, sorry, I know everybody is A7rii crazy this week, but this is the last, test video from this batch of camera tests. In this test, I edited the 4K prores files in FCPX, used Match Color to give a quick and dirty balance/grade. And then exported to 1080p... well actually 1013p... 

Don't worry I made it short... and attempted to make it entertaining... it isn't...

It looks good overall, but I still see issues with color (they don't look natural) and contrast (not much shadow detail).

A lot of times intent gets perceived as inability. My interest lies within stylized genre narratives. Often, I am not looking for natural color. The contrast I will have to work on. On my first outing with the camera, I found the shadow detail amazing on this camera, so any lack of is my experimenting with different settings. I am learning to subtract and add with each test. My posting these videos isn't a declaration that I love my outcomes, it is an exploration of the trials and tribulations of working with a camera that is entirely different than the canon rebel brand. 

A lot of times intent gets perceived as inability. My interest lies within stylized genre narratives. Often, I am not looking for natural color. The contrast I will have to work on. On my first outing with the camera, I found the shadow detail amazing on this camera, so any lack of is my experimenting with different settings. I am learning to subtract and add with each test. My posting these videos isn't a declaration that I love my outcomes, it is an exploration of the trials and tribulations of working with a camera that is entirely different than the canon rebel brand. 

Fair enough, I thought you were looking for feedback on how the Match Color worked. Once you're done with all your tests, please do post your findings/conclusions on the pros/cons of different settings.

Fair enough, I thought you were looking for feedback on how the Match Color worked. Once you're done with all your tests, please do post your findings/conclusions on the pros/cons of different settings.

Oh yes, I am always looking for feedback... This would be a lonely, arbitrary endeavor if I wasn't. In that test, the one, out of camera, shot I liked, I tried to match with the "Match Color" function in FCPX. But I am new to a lot of this, so my theory outweighs my practical ability. I appreciate your comments, and criticisms... They are always welcomed and that's how we grow. 

Your nx500. :)

Yeah, I am definitely gonna keep her, it was too cheap not to. It's just a different beast than the Canon's I'm used to. Canon cameras look pretty good without too much post, which was good for me because I don't know a lot about grading.

So, with my tests, I am trying to find a middle ground that balances the high DR of this camera with a baked in look that doesn't require much while I learn more about grading. 

Sekhar, do you use custom profile, or standard? I was using standard, but I think custom seems a little better with a test I did this morning.

Also, do you set your white balance with color temperature, settings, or auto. I have been using auto, with Canon and Sony cameras, it has always been pretty spot on, especially with consistent lighting, but I think the Samsung auto wb is off, when I switched to color temperature, I was getting better results... Obviously. 

For my eyes, I think I may have found the best, basic set up. Custom profile - Saturation -1 - Sharpness -8 - Contrast -5. These numbers seem to give the most accurate, true to life, yet slightly muted color. 

Sekhar, do you use custom profile, or standard? I was using standard, but I think custom seems a little better with a test I did this morning.

Also, do you set your white balance with color temperature, settings, or auto. I have been using auto, with Canon and Sony cameras, it has always been pretty spot on, especially with consistent lighting, but I think the Samsung auto wb is off, when I switched to color temperature, I was getting better results... Obviously. 

For my eyes, I think I may have found the best, basic set up. Custom profile - Saturation -1 - Sharpness -8 - Contrast -5. These numbers seem to give the most accurate, true to life, yet slightly muted color. 

Custom profile, with shaprness -10 and contrast -5. Problem with profiles is they burn in the look. For WB, I don't like auto because it changes from shot to shot, making shot matching unnecessarily tricky.

Custom profile, with shaprness -10 and contrast -5. Problem with profiles is they burn in the look. For WB, I don't like auto because it changes from shot to shot, making shot matching unnecessarily tricky.

so you use color temperature for wb?