A7rii vs ursa mini

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Right, you said in 6 months the loss on the A7rII would be closer to $1000, I said no way anyone loses $1000 selling the A7rII in 6 months. Your link shows no change in the A7r's price until almost a year after it was released - which supports my point. The price isn't going anywhere in 6 months, it'll still be $3199 and mint used copies will be selling for a few hundred less regardless of whether or not there's a A7sII. 

Did you actually select the "3rd party used" in the link provided? The selling price reduced by about 30%. 30% of $3200 is ~$1000. 

• Super Members

Right, you said in 6 months the loss on the A7rII would be closer to $1000, I said no way anyone loses $1000 selling the A7rII in 6 months. Your link shows no change in the A7r's price until almost a year after it was released - which supports my point. The price isn't going anywhere in 6 months, it'll still be $3199 and mint used copies will be selling for a few hundred less regardless of whether or not there's a A7sII. 

it will lose more than $1000 for some. Or at least I would have no trouble picking one up for $1000 less in just a couple of months.

Now I know, that's not the general price or what most will loose. But it is the "risk".

Did you actually select the "3rd party used" in the link provided? The selling price reduced by about 30%. 30% of $3200 is ~$1000. 

Yes and it also shows A7s' selling for $1100 last July, shortly after release. Right.

I seriously doubt we'll see $2200 A7rII's by the end of this year.

• Super Members

It's all a bit regional as well. In Sweden Sony or Panasonic drops so fast it's scary. People aren't using them. And the NX1 is just crazy.

Canon on the other hand... A used t2i still holds over 50% of its last retail. After all these year's.

I bought my Gh3 two months after release for 50% but a 5dmkiii...  You're looking at premium prices unless the display is cracked or something.

Its as simple as a long tradition of Canon. They opened a service center in Sweden a long long time ago and that was it. 

Same with Sega Vs Nintendo. The later opened an office here for Scandinavian NES releases and that was it.

My BIG question right now is whether to sell the 5D Mark III. I never take it with me (the A7s is always the number 1 choice) and I've only used it for photos once in the last year. What do you guys think?

The A7rII might be a choice later this year depending on what the A7sII looks like and on the upcoming reviews. I miss taking stills on vacation.

It's all a bit regional as well. In Sweden Sony or Panasonic drops so fast it's scary. People aren't using them. And the NX1 is just crazy.

Canon on the other hand... A used t2i still holds over 50% of its last retail. After all these year's.

I bought my Gh3 two months after release for 50% but a 5dmkiii...  You're looking at premium prices unless the display is cracked or something.

Its as simple as a long tradition of Canon. They opened a service center in Sweden a long long time ago and that was it. 

Same with Sega Vs Nintendo. The later opened an office here for Scandinavian NES releases and that was it.

I need to get in touch with some Swedes...

(...)

the comparison I stand by.

And resale value - my a7s isn't going to only lose $500 - it's going for 1k right now on ebay.

Ed, and if you'd still shoot with some 5-7 years old camera? Imagine, no GH4, no NX1, no a7S, you see what I mean. So? To each his/her own. Ursa Mini will never reach portability, lowlight performance, hybrid concept and large format prints as same as this new camera. So, why to compare apples to oranges?

Probably to your needs. But let's put it simple. Joe doesn't have 4K acquisition yet, you does, let's figure it. So? It is a whole different world between a country boy and a single mother or an american footbal player and who likes soccer instead. You got my point :-)

Am I missing something or is it viable to think the 4.6k mini would get one out of the yearly "do I upgrade??" agonizing… I think I'd even stop reading reviews for at least three years.

I think some are missing his point. His statement is reminiscent of the pre dslr era where folks could invest in a camera and not worry about 1000 new bells and whistles coming out a year later without feeling behind. Those days were nice in the sense that you really got to know your camera as it was your buddy for a few years. 

Not saying it's the perfect camera, but ursa mini seems like it could be that kind of camera for some. Prores and raw. Pro connections. Super 35 sensor. Plenty of dynamic range. Global shutter option. High frame rates. And 4.6k res. It all adds up to a camera that one could live with for a few years. At least on paper. We'll see. 

But my point is that I think I know what Carter is getting at. 

I think some are missing his point. His statement is reminiscent of the pre dslr era where folks could invest in a camera and not worry about 1000 new bells and whistles coming out a year later without feeling behind. Those days were nice in the sense that you really got to know your camera as it was your buddy for a few years. 

My camera is still my buddy for a few years. I think those who constantly replace/buy a new camera every 2 months dont really improve much in their filmmaking. 

yes so true, i bought a t3i for 400£ in 2013 and sold it this spring on the swedish ebay for 390.

Ed, and if you'd still shoot with some 5-7 years old camera? Imagine, no GH4, no NX1, no a7S, you see what I mean. So? To each his/her own. Ursa Mini will never reach portability, lowlight performance, hybrid concept and large format prints as same as this new camera. So, why to compare apples to oranges?

Probably to your needs. But let's put it simple. Joe doesn't have 4K acquisition yet, you does, let's figure it. So? It is a whole different world between a country boy and a single mother or an american footbal player and who likes soccer instead. You got my point :-)

How about the blackmagic micro then - 1000 plus a small rig and tiny smallhd monitor and you are up and running with global shutter and probably more natural skintones than possible with the a7r II.  

Everyone loves to rush things.

And yes I shoot a ton with the sony f35 which is from 2008.  I own three of them.

And I used to shoot a lot with the Arri SRII which is from the 90s I think. Age doesn't matter.  And I use tungsten fresnel lighting a lot if I can over HMI because of how it wraps around the face. 

I don't think anyone will know how much the camera will lose in 6 months.

It's all speculation.

But to play it safe, just rent the camera for like $100 and do some tests and see if it's your next best thing.

I regret buying the a7s very much - I used it maybe 3 times.  I should sell it.  The NX1 - I like it - but it has kind of a crappy magenta digital feel to it for stills and video - the h265 encoding is a pain in the butt - I kind of regret it.

so that's like $4500 right there in regreted purchases.  I should have just been more frugal with it all.

I still use the nx1 for scouting because it's so light - and I guess I should sell that a7s when I still can.