A7rii vs ursa mini

Ed_David

Basicially to get similar output you would need a a7rii with an odyssey 7q+ and would end up costing same as ursa mini.

Also in 6 months the a7s ii will come out.

So before you buy. Have patience. Wait for reviews.

Dont blow all your money on the new toy.

Issues of skew and jello. Look harder at images

Rent and compare cameras.

3 grand plus is a lot of money.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

How would an Odyssey give you a similar output? Still 8 bit, still 30fps max in 4K, still around 12 stops, still 4K and not 4.6K...confused

but I do agree with the sentiment, it is alot of money to spend and the initial paper spec excitement might not translate well into imagery (same can be said for the Ursa mini too)

Basicially to get similar output you would need a a7rii with an odyssey 7q+ and would end up costing same as ursa mini.

Also in 6 months the a7s ii will come out.

So before you buy. Have patience. Wait for reviews.

Dont blow all your money on the new toy.

Issues of skew and jello. Look harder at images

Rent and compare cameras.

3 grand plus is a lot of money.

I was thinking about this for a bit, and it really depends what you do.

Under the shell, the URSA Mini would be a superior camera for more serious applications. The early footage looks very promising.  

Remember that with the Ursa, you'll need a battery solution and (unless you already have an SDI VF) their $1500 EVF looks like a must-have. Throw in the shoulder kit and realistically you're around $8k for ready-to-run - still an impressive value though.

The 4.6 camera really looks like your next 5 to 8 years worth of camera. Hard to say that for anything else on the market, but what else is coming that will be a must-have feature? 6k? 8k? 6k 3D? 18 stops of DR? 1000 fps at 6k becomes a staple of corporate videos and TV spots?

Am I missing something or is it viable to think the 4.6k mini would get one out of the yearly "do I upgrade??" agonizing… I think I'd even stop reading reviews for at least three years.

Buy buy buy!  Feed the consumer within.  

Jokes aside, I find it scary how many people are considering investing such huge quantities of money in a camera which has its key selling points in still photography.

I'm grabbing an A7R2 and will run it into the ground for the year its current, then sell it when the new model arrives.  The fact that I can use the a7r2 on medium format digitar lenses on an X-Act2 camera for technical photography, and outperform guys shooting with phase one backs worth £20k, and the fact that i can shoot full sensor readout 4k video for lens tests, branding work and personal work the huge outlay is worthwhile.  I lost about £500 selling my a7r and battery grip - which i had the day it was available.  I used that camera day in day out and if I recall, two jobs paid for the camera outright.  Even if I;d hired the camera for a year for £500 and not used it commercially I'd still be happy since i actually used it for enjoyment as well as work.  My A7s will be sold the week before the a7smk2 is available.  I'll lose money on the value, but the A7S has made its cost back ten fold.

All of the occasional shooting work I get nowadays originates from work i undertook with a Canon 550d and a Nex5n around 4-5 years ago.  I'd still shoot with the nex5n and get results that the client would be happy with.   

So to those guys suffering from Gear Acquisition Syndrome, or in most cases consumers thinking of laying down such a massive investment on a camera, be sure it's worth it.  Will you be undertaking work that requires this tool?  will you be fitting lenses onto it that will come close to delivering what is required to make the camera show its strengths?  Do you need the item?

£2500 buys an awful lot of good glass that will never devalue!  You'd kit yourself out with a near full set of early Leica R's for that!  

I bet within 6 months and after A7sII gets announced it will be closer to $1000. 

Doubt that, plenty of people are buying this for 42mp stills with no regard for video, its not dropping $1000 in 6 months unless Sony drops the price which won't happen for a year or so. The A7s has been out over a year and the used prices are now in the $1700 range, authorized dealers are still at $2499. I sold mine in March for $2100 and it was part of the first wave of U.S. cameras last July. 

I'm willing to bet at this point the A7sII is up in the air given the fat spec sheet for the A7rII and its performance (so far with the limited samples available). Anything more on the video side really steps into FS7 territory - which Sony has never done in its smaller camerasPlus the A7sII would be well over $3000 if it gets a new BSI sensor, AF, IBIS and so on - its going to put zero price pressure on the A7RII. Anyone thinking it'll be less will be really disappointed.

Why not have both a stills camera and a video camera.

Basically with the A7R II you'll still need a monitor to see more than its onboard, and XLR input and some way to get timecode into like the odysey to consider it for any serious A camera work - and that's the same as the URSA mini - which all in all, is all about the same price.

Or what would you use the A7RII for?  Let's see - narrative - you need XLR and all that

DOC work - you need XLR and rig it out for shoulder

Wedding work - you need XLR

pretty much everything - you'll make this little camera bigger.

the comparison I stand by.

And resale value - my a7s isn't going to only lose $500 - it's going for 1k right now on ebay.

Exactly,  not getting the Mini is probably a better way to cure GAS.

I guess what I'm getting at isn't so much about GAS, but the constant improvement creep in the market. The mini seems (potentially) to me to have about everything you'd need, short of the insanely high ISOs and insanely high frame rates. 

I have plenty of GAS for old film cameras and darkroom gear, paper, chemistry… for my commercial gear, I balance market improvements vs. cost and payback time - I don't like upgrading when the systems I own are completely second-nature to me. 

I love love LOVE the original BMC image. But I often need (at least) 60p in my work. I pull a lot of keys and still need to settle on a 4K camera with good color space for that work. But I'd like the DR and look of a BMC in those gigs. So I own a broadcast-style 1080 camera, a Nikon DSLR, thus I have run & gun and "pretty" covered, and I rent when those are outclassed. 

I've never needed crazy frame rates (but some 100-ish FPS would be great in many situations, even corporate stuff, tech stuff, fashion-beauty, etc) and I've never needed to get useful footage at 3200iso. To me, the mini doesn't seem like a crazy price point - it seems like it covers every base for general commercial video work, whether broadcast, corporate, web, narrative, docs, whatever. I think for a big slice of the market, this would be a wise "no more renting, don't need to upgrade for 5 years" solution that would pay off pretty quickly.

Doubt that, plenty of people are buying this for 42mp stills with no regard for video, its not dropping $1000 in 6 months unless Sony drops the price which won't happen for a year or so.

We were talking about how much you are going to loose if you buy now and sell in 6 months. 

Look what happened with A7r: 

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-Full-Frame-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera/product/B00FRDUZUK?context=browse

And resale value - my a7s isn't going to only lose $500 - it's going for 1k right now on ebay.

Ebay is the worst place to sell a camera, buying is a different story if you're patient. But fees whack prices down to nothing. They're trading for about $1700 on Fred Miranda (not trying to drive anyone to another site, but Ebay's seller fees are a complete ripoff). I'd cancel that auction...

• Super Members

We were talking about how much you are going to loose if you buy now and sell in 6 months. 

http://camelcamelcamel.com/Sony-Full-Frame-Mirrorless-Digital-Camera/product/B00FRDUZUK?context=browse

Im with you. A used price is at any given moment maximum 70% of current retail. Find a guy that needs the money and its 50%.

Right, you said in 6 months the loss on the A7rII would be closer to $1000, I said no way anyone loses $1000 selling the A7rII in 6 months. Your link shows no change in the A7r's price until almost a year after it was released - which supports my point. The price isn't going anywhere in 6 months, it'll still be $3199 and mint used copies will be selling for a few hundred less regardless of whether or not there's a A7sII.