Who will break the interenal 10 bit hybrid barrier?

Jimmy

The difference between 8 & 10 bit would be much more apparent....using the camera all day...lit set...$150,000 a day crew...lots of actors...a narrative and scenes that actually have to cut together...that would be a real test...I'm a bit off topic Renaisance Man:):)...

Films were basically made in the 8bit world for several years when the digitizing first started.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

C100 8 bit is pretty incredible for 24/Mbps. I've tried a A/B tests with the Ninja Star Pro Res and had to do a 400% zoom with a heavy grade to notice ANY difference. I'd say 90% of shots internal is good enough on that camera.

Also oddly enough, when I use Ninja 2 and record to DNxHD 220x (10-bit) there seems to be smoother gradation, despite the fact that it's only an 8-bit output in C100. Oddly, the DNxHD looks a bit nicer than ProRes.

10-bit would be nice, I'm sure we'll all have it in coming years. I'm just not willing to sacrifice a lot of convenience right now for a few more bit depth by using black magic cameras I'm afraid.

Also oddly enough, when I use Ninja 2 and record to DNxHD 220x (10-bit) there seems to be smoother gradation, despite the fact that it's only an 8-bit output in C100. Oddly, the DNxHD looks a bit nicer than ProRes.

10-bit would be nice, I'm sure we'll all have it in coming years. I'm just not willing to sacrifice a lot of convenience right now for a few more bit depth by using black magic cameras I'm afraid.

That's why a lot of us would like companies like Samsung or Panasonic to start offering an internal 10-bit option. Then we wouldn't have to choose! :) As it is, all these micro HDMI options are just a stopgap solution.

Guest Ebrahim Saadawi

Also oddly enough, when I use Ninja 2 and record to DNxHD 220x (10-bit) there seems to be smoother gradation, 

That's because bit-rate and the quality of the codec has a LOT to do with gradation other than bit depth, bit depth defined the number of the gradations but a low bitrate/bad codec makes those gradations look horrible themselves, appearing as blocks, abrupt, square-y, noisy and weird. That's what my observations see anyway.