A7rii quick fire real world test edit

Alex Pasquini

A little different from some of the recent tests I've seen. Less technical, more hectic! I really just wanted to get out there with my new camera and get a feel for the physical aspect (coming from a Canon 5dm3, gaining that muscle memory for new button layouts), using as many features as possible (ff, s35, stabilisation, slow-mo) and seeing what kind of footage I could get out of it in quick fire situations. No grading, all straight from camera with a custom Picture Profile.

Cheers!

a little more info on my blog too: 

http://www.alexpasquini.com/blog/2015/8/1/from-canon-to-sony-hands-on-with-the-new-sony-a7rii-4k-camera

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for posting!  

How much of the 2nd video was handheld, and how much did IBIS seem to help? 

Run into any overheating issues, or do you tend to shoot shorter clips at a time anyway?

All the beach stuff was hand held. As was mucking about with dog in field. And my dad at the end. The model-sequel shots were tripod as was the industrial shots. Steady shot is great, especially helpful on the canon 50mm 1.4. Not sure if it's actual 5 axis or just regular. Either way something is working!

Looks good. Have you run into any overheating?

No overheating as yet but tend to have only shot in quite shorts junks. Max 1-2 minute clips so far

So far I'm liking what I'm seeing from the A7Rii. I'm sure the ursa mini will be great, but the size of the Sony is a major win for gorilla style shooting.

I'll wait for some more info on the mini, but I'm starting to feel that the A7Rii might be enough. 

Yeah that's how I feel. About 50% of my work requires running about like a mad man and 50% locked off on a tripod. I know that the majority of that mad-man time a camera like the Ursa Mini will just slow me down. Perhaps i'll try to save up for one, depending on reviews but for now I need tthat small form factor an a7rii/dslr gives me.

Love your short samples!

How is focus peaking? Was any of your two samples using autofocus or all manual focus? I am curious as to how the metabones adapter works with Canon lenses using autofocus in video mode.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to give.

AJ

Love your short samples!

How is focus peaking? Was any of your two samples using autofocus or all manual focus? I am curious as to how the metabones adapter works with Canon lenses using autofocus in video mode.

Thanks for any insight you might be able to give.

AJ

Thanks AJ! Everything was manual focus. As far as I'm aware constant automatic focus in video mode is only available with (some) Sony lenses. Auto focus in stills mode using the metabones adapter is very fast though. Would love to try an auto focus video lens!

Fantastic footage - thanks for sharing it!

With the lens you list, are you shooting mostly in FF mode or do you find them as useful in S35 mode as well?

Thanks,

Mark

I'm jumping back and forth constantly at the moment actually. Which is a bit of a pain as you can't customise it to a shortcut, you have to constantly go into the menu to switch over. At a guess I'd say more full frame at the moment, to get the most width out of my lenses and an an old habit coming from a 5dmk3. I imagine using FF the most, better rolling shutter, wider lenses and then using the super 35 if I need extra length or I think a shot really could benefit from having the maximum quality. Eg. A scene with lots of potential for moiré I would try and use super 35 just in case. Early days still!