A7Rii Image stabilization and heat test

DBounce

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Looks and sounds really decent. Right now I'm thinking a7rii as A and rx10ii as B cam might be the way to go. The XLR-adapter really is a treat and it works on both cameras. If the a7rii's stills are as good as I think they might be, I could get rid of the Nikon D800 for stills, the NX1 and hope that the Sony has come down in price by then.

@agolex You can download raw samples here: http://www.photographyblog.com/previews/sony_a7r_ii_photos/

Photoshop CC supports them. I tried a few and the dynamic range looks amazing - as we can expect from a Sony-sensor. I'm pretty sure it will be on par - at least - with the D800.

Thanks again. : ) I'd also love the e-shutter for timelapse, always felt bad for the Nikon when I heard it snap every 20 seconds. :p

Thanks again. : ) I'd also love the e-shutter for timelapse, always felt bad for the Nikon when I heard it snap every 20 seconds. :p

Be aware that fully electronic shutter drops the image to 12-bit precision.  It's in the manual.  Bulb, continuous, continuous bracket mode do the same.

At low ISOs, this equates to about a 1-stop noise increase and a 1-stop loss in dynamic range. Bummer.

True, I see the difference there. So the conclusion is: more noise if you adjust the exposure +5 stops... I could live with that when shooting timelapses.

The real world tests I liked to don't show any difference at all and I don't think it's very likely anyone would do any more extreme edits in a practical situation.

True, I see the difference there. So the conclusion is: more noise if you adjust the exposure +5 stops... I could live with that when shooting timelapses.

The real world tests I liked to don't show any difference at all and I don't think it's very likely anyone would do any more extreme edits in a practical situation.

One of the huge advantages of the exmor sensor is of course the ability to do extreme shadow recovery in scenes presenting a huge dynamic range.  Nikon is able to use the sensor to its fullest potential; Sony, ironically, as of yet, cannot, even though it's their sensor.  Lucky for you, you don't care.  It matters to me.  If it didn't, I'd still be shooting Canon.

One of the huge advantages of the exmor sensor is of course the ability to do extreme shadow recovery in scenes presenting a huge dynamic range.  Nikon is able to use the sensor to its fullest potential; Sony, ironically, as of yet, cannot, even though it's their sensor.  Lucky for you, you don't care.  It matters to me.  If it didn't, I'd still be shooting Canon.

I don't expect the Sonys to beat the Nikons in every regard, not even my D800. I prefer the mirror with pentaprism to all EVF-stuff, I find it more responsive and direct. It's just that the a7rii would be such a nice all-in-one package, that's about the only reason I would be willing to switch. And like I said above, I kinda feel bad taking prololonged timelapses with the Nikon, because it wears the thing down (not to mention the resulting shutter dust/oil spots). In the end, though, I wouldn't be surprised if the Sonys would have to be repaired earlier because of things like the IBIS and less quality in general. It's all a matter of compromise to me. What I would love without exception, though: not having to use the retarded reverse focus mechanism of the Nikon lenses.

Something as simple as a reverse gear on a follow focus solves the Nikon lens focusing direction...As the AF-S 28-70 f2.8  Ed and AF-S  80-200 lenses are the best I've ever used, its a small thing to deal with...for the privilege of using Nikon glass of that quality!

I don't wanna use a follow focus, I wanna stay light. And the D800 is no good for video. ; )

It's seems to just get better. Looks like Sony might have knocked one out of the park with this camera...

Link to story

http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/08/02/sony-a7r-ii-part-iii-5-axis-stabilisation-and-heat-issues-going-handheld-to-tell-the-story-of-a-london-busker/

Am I the only one to find the greyish color skin to be kind of weird ??

If the A7r II has stabilization internally and Canon EF glass has stabilization.... What would happen if you use the A7R with Canon EF glass with Image stabilization? Add in a shoulder rig too. I'm not stupid it won't be like a DJI Ronin or Steadicam, but what would it look like when running and other things?

It would still move, a lot. Rigs cut down mostly on ugly micro jitters you get when you hold things handheld for prolonged periods of time and give movement a different feeling.

Ok, you've asked this question everywhere and I think you mean what would happen with the A7rii if you paired it with a Canon Lens with IS. Well, this:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/2aHJ8ToZ75Y

I still do not understand exactly if 5 axis IBIS is good for video.

I remember an andrew test with an A7 II and he was not very happy with the IBIS.

There is no real test about the IBIS for video.

Some people say if you use a non native sony lense you will get 3 axis stabilization, other people say it is wrong if you specify the focal length in the menu you will have a 5 axis stabilization, other say you need to use a sony lense with OSS to get 5 axis stabilization in video, other say you will have 5 axis stabilisation with a sony sense like the FE 35mm f 2,8 even there is no OSS???

IBIS I think is one of the feature we want know about and nobody performs a video test even with an A7 II (hope with an A7R II) where you compare handheld shot with:

Native oss lense for example 16-35 f4 OSS Sony at 35 mm vs Sony FE 35 mm f2,8 vs non sony glass like nikon or leica M 35 mm with adapter.

When you talk about stabilization the proof is in the pudding, specs are useless. Two stabilization systems could perform better than one or worse. You must try. 

I suppose the Sony IBIS will probably be studied to work well with Sony OSS. But with Canon IS, who knows?? And if you put all of this on a gimbal, who knows?? The video posted by Gregormannschaft seems like Canon IS 24-105 a very good combination!