A7Sii to be...

DBounce

• Administrators

Of course the A7R II is great

I just think there's a high chance it will be obsolete for video in just 6 months.

Also, Sony making their own $3300 camera obsolete in just 6 months for video is a really stupid strategy.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Also, Sony making their own $3300 camera obsolete in just 6 months for video is a really stupid strategy.

I'm not sure that is their strategy! The A7rII is a lot more expensive than the A7r was, and is almost $1,000 more than the A7s was new!

I'm wondering if perhaps their plan is not of obsolescence per say, but to bolster their offerings - if you have the money for the best video, you can get the (forthcoming) A7sII. If you only need 1080p, you can get the A7s. If you care only about stills, the original A7r is fine. If you're looking for something entry level, then the original A7 is cheap and still a great camera. 

On the Sony store online, you can still purchase the A7 brand new, and you can still purchase the A7r new. Looking at the way the prices are structured, it suggests to me that maybe this is less about making their current range of cameras totally obsolete, and more about bolstering their range. Someone who now owns an A7s and is looking for the best possible video IQ in this budget range and form factor, might go ahead and buy an A7rII. Many won't. Many will be happy with their A7s. Many who were tossing up between jumping into Sony and not, now can buy an A7s for $1700 and get themselves into the Sony ecosystem of lenses, accessories, etc.

This is where Sony has an advantage, sensor development. 

Making their models obsolete might seem like a bad strategy, but what they achieve in the meantime is market domination. 

I think it is great to have companies innovate as fast as Sony. I was really tired of waiting for even simple things from companies such as Nikon, Canon, etc. I also don't understand why people buy cameras as an "investment", if the camera is not worth ( to you ) the asking price don't buy it. Maybe that will force companies to stop using this aggressive pricing model. 

Yeah, I mean there's no way you can tell a good story when you've got minimal amounts of banding, is there...? ;)

Been there done that. But banding and the thin 8 bit footage that it comes from is just something I don't want to deal with again. I'll take a $500 dollar 16mm sized sensor camera with 10 bit or raw over a full frame 8 bit camera any day. 

Been there done that. But banding and the thin 8 bit footage that it comes from is just something I don't want to deal with again. I'll take a $500 dollar 16mm sized sensor camera with 10 bit or raw over a full frame 8 bit camera any day. 

I'm in your camp on this. There are so many positives to what Sony is doing with these cams, but from what I've seen so far from the A7s and the A7rII i'd rather save up and spend the extra cash on the mini Ursa, if it ever comes out ;-) wink, wink. I love the low light abilities and small form factor of the Sony cams, and am super tempted to replace my D800 with an A7RII for stills/B Cam, but the image in BM cams trumps all sony cams to me. I know this is all in everyone's personal opinion, but to me image is first, all the other stuff, even if kind of a PITA is workable. I may change my mind as more comes out from this cam, as I don't want to be so stubborn to not see the reality, but I can spot Sony footage immediately, and that isn't that great of a thing.

I'm in your camp on this. There are so many positives to what Sony is doing with these cams, but from what I've seen so far from the A7s and the A7rII i'd rather save up and spend the extra cash on the mini Ursa, if it ever comes out ;-) wink, wink. I love the low light abilities and small form factor of the Sony cams, and am super tempted to replace my D800 with an A7RII for stills/B Cam, but the image in BM cams trumps all sony cams to me. I know this is all in everyone's personal opinion, but to me image is first, all the other stuff, even if kind of a PITA is workable. I may change my mind as more comes out from this cam, as I don't want to be so stubborn to not see the reality, but I can spot Sony footage immediately, and that isn't that great of a thing.

I can understand where you are coming from, but FS7 and Ursa Mini are both permit cameras, whereas the A7 series are not. That means a lot more flexibility in these little cameras as far as real world practicality.

Making their models obsolete might seem like a bad strategy, but what they achieve in the meantime is market domination. 

This an interview of a Sony manager that I found on SAR today...

"Sony will concentrate on full-frame cameras in the future. In the short run, we will target existing full-frame camera users and then attract those who use entry and mid-class models to upgrade their cameras in the long run, raising the popularity of full-frame cameras. To do so, we plan to boost our presence in the professional market such as photo studios and wedding photography. Besides the stagnant growth of the camera market, the entry-class segment of the lens-interchangeable camera market is slowing down drastically.
We held a 59 percent share in the mirror-less camera market last year and have been the top seller of mirror-less cameras for the last five years, but we have never topped the gross lens-interchangeable camera market on a yearly basis. Our goal this year is to become the leader in this market for the first time."

An update to the A7s will happen. I would wager that it will be an A7sII - I doubt it's going to be a new product that updates/replaces it. I imagine the A7sII will have an extra two stops of sensitivity, allowing for ISO 1.6million, and/or 720 @ 240p / 1080 @ 120p / 4k @ 60p.

If the A7rII 4k is overheating at 24/30p, higher framerates seem unlikely in the current body.

I hope an update does happen soon. That way, hopefully, the A7s receives a price drop.

Still love the A7s. The image is beautiful...far better, of course, than it is after Vimeo compression which always destroys the image. If it drops a lot it would be well worth picking up. I shot some low light footage in an installation with it a few weeks back, and a friend was also shooting there with a C100. The C100 footage is basically unusable but the A7s is beautiful. It really hit home what a powerful camera the A7s is for the price.