NX500 - To Be Continued

mercer

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Here's a simple shot of a flower with my NX500 I just did as a comparison. I basically followed the workflow I gave earlier and it's on Vimeo too, so the difference comes down to the lens and H.265 conversion. IMO this clip has much better resolution and color. I will submit a comparison with NX1 on a separate thread, but wanted to post this to track down where mercer's issues with resolution and color are coming from.

Edit: I just realized I had the sharpness and contrast at default 0, but the clip should still help as a comparison, certainly on the color side.

Here's a simple shot of a flower with my NX500 I just did as a comparison. I basically followed the workflow I gave earlier and it's on Vimeo too, so the difference comes down to the lens and H.265 conversion. IMO this clip has much better resolution and color. I will submit a comparison with NX1 on a separate thread, but wanted to post this to track down where mercer's issues with resolution and color are coming from.

Edit: I just realized I had the sharpness and contrast at default 0, but the clip should still help as a comparison, certainly on the color side.

What lens did you use? And just to be clear, did you shoot in cinema 4K, 24p with the firmware upgrade? And you said you converted to 1080p before you brought the footage into your NLE, correct?

Because, to be honest, I don't see much of an improvement with your flower shot over my last few, close-up, shots with the Miranda lens.

Obviously, the location of the sun, helps your shot, over mine, and yours has a little more punch, but that could be explained by the default profile. 

Also, just to be clear, I don't mean to sound contrary... This whole process is new to me, and I am really just trying to figure it out to get the best results.

I appreciate your insight!!!

What lens did you use? And just to be clear, did you shoot in cinema 4K, 24p with the firmware upgrade? And you said you converted to 1080p before you brought the footage into your NLE, correct?

Because, to be honest, I don't see much of an improvement with your flower shot over my last few, close-up, shots with the Miranda lens.

Obviously, the location of the sun, helps your shot, over mine, and yours has a little more punch, but that could be explained by the default profile. 

Also, just to be clear, I don't mean to sound contrary... This whole process is new to me, and I am really just trying to figure it out to get the best results.

I appreciate your insight!!!

I went back and saw your leaf shots (4:35). Hard to say about resolution difference since the profiles are different, but I still think colors are off. Anyway, what I think is irrelevant when it comes to your video; if you like it, that's all matters.

For my clip, I used the Samsung 16-50 lens. And yes, I shot in 4K 24p, converted to 4K ProRes with FFmpeg, and then imported it onto a 1080p project. One potential source of difference is that there is no scaling on my side: the 1080p project cropped the 4K video, so what you're seeing is a portion of the video frame Whereas you scaled the full frame to 1080p at H.265 conversion time and imported a 1080p clip onto a 1080p project. Just for kicks, try this method and see if you prefer that.

Placing 4K clips onto 1080p project is now my preferred method because it lets me do fancy stuff like faking slider moves and two camera shots, like I did with a recent fashion show. I posted it here on EOSHD some time back, but here it is again if you're interested.

https://youtu.be/PsHTzuANSHo

I went back and saw your leaf shots (4:35). Hard to say about resolution difference since the profiles are different, but I still think colors are off. Anyway, what I think is irrelevant when it comes to your video; if you like it, that's all matters.

For my clip, I used the Samsung 16-50 lens. And yes, I shot in 4K 24p, converted to 4K ProRes with FFmpeg, and then imported it onto a 1080p project. One potential source of difference is that there is no scaling on my side: the 1080p project cropped the 4K video, so what you're seeing is a portion of the video frame Whereas you scaled the full frame to 1080p at H.265 conversion time and imported a 1080p clip onto a 1080p project. Just for kicks, try this method and see if you prefer that.

Placing 4K clips onto 1080p project is now my preferred method because it lets me do fancy stuff like faking slider moves and two camera shots, like I did with a recent fashion show. I posted it here on EOSHD some time back, but here it is again if you're interested.

I'll give that a go. Just to be clear, do you use prores 444 and by dropping in 1080 timeline, you still have access to the entire 4K frame that you can control the crop, I assume?

I'll give that a go. Just to be clear, do you use prores 444 and by dropping in 1080 timeline, you still have access to the entire 4K frame that you can control the crop, I assume?

I convert to ProRes 422, I think it's enough. And yes, you have access to the whole frame, which is why you can cut with 100% and 50% to simulate two cameras; keyframe the zoom to effect slow zoom; keyframe lateral/vertical moves to fake slider and jib shots; etc. For the fashion show video I posted, I only had the 16-50 zoom, and even at 50 I just about managed to cover the stage; but with this crop technique for example I was able to go real tight, and the models (all amateur event attendees and their kids) were very happy. Going to ultra zoom is the main reason I got the NX500.

I used LT, but I have heard people use proxy as well. 

And I think I read that Fincher uses 4K in the same manner. 

Yeah, I did an extensive test once between 422, LT, and Proxy. There is a HUGE drop-off in quality from LT to Proxy, but not much from 422 to LT. If space is tight, may be LT is enough, but I would go with 422 for all regular jobs. For 420 8-bit video, HQ and above is overkill IMO.

BTW, the lens I used is the "S" version of the 16-50, I just realized there is another version. This lens has given me amazing results, I got it with the NX1. I'm going to do a bunch of tests tomorrow, mostly on the big zoom use of NX500, for which I'll use my Canon 70-200 L lens (non IS version), which is also great. Lenses always make a difference, but IMO more so when it comes to 4K video, which is why I kept mentioning lenses.

I need to check my settings and do lots more tests. The FD lenses should be plenty good enough, so if my results are poor, then I am lead to believe it is my workflow. Mattias informed me he dials everything down except for leaving a little saturation and contrast. 

Love the Miranda 28 shots. I might have to pick that one up. Which mount/ version of the lens do you have? 

after a little research, I think Cosina made that Miranda lens. 

I read at one website, that the NX500, and the NX1 record at true 24p and not 23.976, but I cannot find another source that confirms or denies that. 

Is this true, and what effect on the iq, if any, would there be if you processed the footage at the wrong frame rate?

wow that's an extreme double crop then! You could get some crazy range shooting and editing this way!

I need to check my settings and do lots more tests. The FD lenses should be plenty good enough, so if my results are poor, then I am lead to believe it is my workflow. Mattias informed me he dials everything down except for leaving a little saturation and contrast. 

after a little research, I think Cosina made that Miranda lens. 

thanks! Is it the macro version of the lens?