Canon's new $30,000 video camera does only 1080p

LimitBreak

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

My ambigious point being:  if you're a pro and have a great skill set, you're not worried about GAS, you're just doing the job with what works for your situation, such as a c300, or an Alexa, or a 4 million ISO camera, or a RED Minotaur, or a BMPCC crash cam, or whatever.  And you're probably not on internet forums like me, waiting for FCP7 rending to finish on a crappy corporate video job...

I know but the point of the post you quoted was, 

Stop caring about specs and gas, get something that works :)

I see you didn't bother to watch the first 60 seconds of the video.  That's your choice, but why comment on something you haven't even watched?

No, I did.  

All I'm saying is that when you're a considerate pro, you go get what accomplishes the gig.   

You're gear agnostic.  

Now, people with pro careers and great skills obviously do rent Canon because it's a workhorse and does the job.  

On the other hand, internet scrubs like me... we pixel peep, have emotional attachment to our consumer gear, and even whine about a Canon not matching the feature list of a 2K photography camera.

And, yeah, a pro Canon video camera not matching certain video specs is even true.  But it doesn't mean you go shoot your next gig with a Gx7.

Anyway, I responded to the claim that watching the video would end internet rants.  I know that statement was just rhetoric, but I was trying to say in response, "No it wouldn't," and the reason I say so is because people at the low-end level are irrational about things.  They've been known to personally value equipment over creative ability.  A good pro would avoid that.

• 5 weeks later...

I noticed some screen grabs from the Canon 4 milliom ISO camera at ISO  36000 and 51000, and from the looks of things the A7S seems to be a good competitor for now.

http://www.fdtimes.com/2015/07/30/canon-4-million-iso-full-frame-video/

http://www.fdtimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/Moab-Night-36.2K_ISO.png

http://www.filmanddigitaltimes.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/NYC-Night-51.2K_ISO.png

Hum. That looks quite mushy (and grainy, but a nice grain). Then again, it is a Canon after all.

I feel it lacks detail. The A7S still seems to be so much better. And the difference between a $2500 vs $30000 camera should be Noticeably More Substantial. Here, my vote actually goes to Sony. 

The screenshots actually make the Canon look like 720p instead of 1080p. 

• 2 weeks later...

I feel it lacks detail. The A7S still seems to be so much better.

Hmm.. I disagree. A7s falls apart after iso 51,200 and even that is noise removed to all hell (lots of smoothing and temporal artifacting). The Canon seems to have WAY less noise reduction which is always good for more professional work.